Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Make surgery a little more debilitating?
Question 
So right now you can hop on a table and a good doctor can replace an organ except the heart without doing all that much brute and speed off no worse off than taking 20 brute and having screamed after your chest got sawed open.

I think it would be interesting if the pain of surgery was enough to knock you out and there was a real use for anaesthetic/sleeping gas. At the moment you have to use a little morphine for self surgery and that's about it.

Don't want it to be too involved but a surgery patient having to undergo <15 seconds of recovery with drugs vs being knocked out for a minute from pain could make things more interesting and give surgery more depth than two tools, suture and a brute auto mender.
Using surgery to murder people is already absurdly fast and doesn't require much more than a ten second stun, if that. We've got enough folks who go around debraining everyone any antag round they get already.
To counter point, we also have doctors who don't care one bit about ever doing surgery and would rather just clone s person because it's easier. It's also very inconsistent on if medical has a doctor who even knows how to do surgery and is willing to do it.
I'm of mixed opinions on this.  On one hand, the blood loss from limb surgery is one of the most common deadly mistakes I see rookie doctors make, and also the #1 leading cause of death from self-surgery.  On the other hand, thats really it for potential complications, and once you know hemostats/filgrastim/blood packs, thats easily accounted for.

Spitballing ideas:  

Have the various surgery steps take actual time to perform.  It takes longer to inject someone with a syringe than it does to saw someones ribcage open currently.  Maybe even have a floating timer-meter for it.

Make it so theres actually a complication for not using anesthesia.  Perhaps a reflex from the pain can cause the patient to shove/punch the doctor at the worst moment, causing a fumbled operation step.  Would make self-surgery much harder too, which has always been a pet peeve of mine on the RP server.

Unclean instruments could cause some kind of infection.  This would preferably be treated like an illness, not a pathogen, treatable via spaceacillin or somesuch.  Who would ever have imagined doctors had a valid reason to care about hygiene?!
Personally, if we're going to make surgery longer, I'd rather it be from something with more depth than a timer.

I've thought before that surgery should be more like door hacking, with a unique window that pops open for all the places you can use tools, but that's a pretty drastic change and I know some people like the combo style of surgery
Wrt anesthesia tanks, mediBorg can't put tanks/masks on people so would see higher fumbles from that suggestion. They already don't have doctor training so you'd maybe see more Borg surgery deaths?
Shouldn't medborgs be decent surgeons? Seems unfair to the borg considering their overall limitations.
while it seems fine and dandy to make single organ replacements cost a bunch of reagents, people wanting new organs from robotics could very quickly scale up to draining a lot of medbay's reagents, get a lot more people killed by newbies, and a busy roboticist isnt really going to hold themselves accountable for draining medbay dry.

i dont think penalising people who dont know this by making the *other* person have a worse experience is really going to be perceived as the roboticists' issue either, i think robotics doing surgery on others should certainly be encouraged and kept quick and easy once youve got a grasp on it.
make it so borgs dont fumble. they're machines after all...