Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.86 Average
timelock captain?
play 20 rounds as captain to unlock the E-Gun as a job reward

Also add a cool cape/hat for the captain as a reward for killing a syndicate commander with their sword
Yes thats a good idea wisecrack. Spawn with sword and instead of Egun make the reward turn it into some other kinda captain gun that works about the same as the Egun.
Anyone got any good captain gun ideas?
I hereby lay claim to the new E-Gun (Thing) design
I really like the idea of egun timelock. 

The captain already spawns with the antique laser rifle in his room. But the problem is that it requires some real annoying and exotic mats (some adventure zone I think?) to get it to function correctly. I feel we should lower the threshold of this gun and make it so it can be fixed a lil easier 

The way I see it, the caps lethality should be ranked as such:

Tier 1: Babby Cap
Has sword
Tier 2: Ok Cap
Has egun unlocked
Tier 3: Pro cap
Uses sword, fixes laser rifle instead.

Fixing the gun should take twenty minutes or so, and should require some exotic mats but nothing too strange. There's been a recent enough radioactive alloy that could be used here. 

Also nerf the power of this gun, afaik at full fixed power it is extremely powerful. It should just be laser rifle strength, but auto recharges.
Man Ive been playing since like 2011 and I still don't know how to properly fix the captains laser gun.
We should make fixing it go down several paths, depending on which parts you use.

Captain goes around stealing shit from departments to fix up their zappy ray
I haven't read all comments here, but I've thought about this many times over the years. I personally think that noob captain is bad. Captain is a big target, and if someone plays captain on his first round then it's bad for the new player and for the rest of the crew.

BUT, I don't think that the captain needs to be highly competent. I think that just enough rounds to be pretty sure that the Captain knows how to talk and play is enough. I'd think that 5 rounds is enough for that. I think I heard the number 20 thrown around, and this seems far, far to high.
(10-21-2020, 07:05 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: We should make fixing it go down several paths, depending on which parts you use.

Captain goes around stealing shit from departments to fix up their zappy ray

I second the captain having anything to work for.
Make it an objective! How about he needs to make a specific NEW battery from chemicals procured in research, requiring some borrowing from botany?

Also we should add more, similar options to the Antique as side-grades, how about having a few options for the item on display to choose from as a Captain that you can then fix up, each requiring visiting and interaction with multiple departments?
Hi I made the captain's sabre, I really don't like the idea of making it the default while also making the egun a job reward for it. The sword is intentionally worse than the egun. This is so that if you take the sword, it's almost sort of a Showing Off kind of thing, like "I don't need a gun, I have a fancy sword!". It's a *flex*.

If you make it so the sword is the default and the (far stronger) egun is a reward you earn, you give the sword a stigma of being a thing that New Players Have, and you make it feel more like a *temporary downgrade* from normal gameplay. IMO this ruins the whole thing I was going for with the sabre !
I agree that 5 seems like a decent number for captain.
(10-22-2020, 06:33 AM)Flaborized Wrote: Hi I made the captain's sabre, I really don't like the idea of making it the default while also making the egun a job reward for it. The sword is intentionally worse than the egun. This is so that if you take the sword, it's almost sort of a Showing Off kind of thing, like "I don't need a gun, I have a fancy sword!". It's a *flex*.

If you make it so the sword is the default and the (far stronger) egun is a reward you earn, you give the sword a stigma of being a thing that New Players Have, and you make it feel more like a *temporary downgrade* from normal gameplay. IMO this ruins the whole thing I was going for with the sabre !

I think that's why I'm in favor of giving the sword by default, and making the gun a thing that has to be worked towards. 

Not through timelocks or job rewards though, but through knowledgeable gameplay
I feel like this whole gun/sword chat is missing the point. The main complaint with new captains seems to be 'the captain is powertripping and has arrested the HOP for existing/made all crime legal/relawed the AI to sing All-Star every two minutes, and sec isn't sure what to do about it because he's the Captain', not 'the Captain is just gunning people down non-stop with his fancy laser gun'. I don't know if a timelock is going to fix it (and personally, I have my doubts it will), but switching out their weaponry certainly isn't going to do anything.
That's true, sorry for derailing
Roomba if thats the actual topic of this thread then I guess the only thing that you can do is Ahelp if the captain is being a complete shit. Outside of that have a popup for each sec officer that tells them the sec rules and add in that the captain IS NOT IMMUNE to spacelaw and can be arrested for being shit.