Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
There seriously needs to be better light sources for the crew
With the changes to lighting (including flashlights becoming more directional), playing goonstation is becoming Eye Strain : The Game.

I've been back for less than a few weeks and I feel like my eyes have strained more in this period than the past few months.
I get that the darkness is likely intentional to make the dark zones foreboding - the crew should have more options to prepare for such scenarios. Give us the option to make stronger light sources/flashlights/floodlights to account for the increased level of darkness.

With a high powered flashlight in my PDA, a helmet light and two flashlights it feels barely sufficient to cut more than a pizza slice out of the dark. Mesons are nice but rarely accessible to most of the crew.
larger moving light sources generally mean more server/client load - the lights becoming smaller had gameplay effects but their largest benefit was really huge lag reductions (with some of the old huge floodlight type stuff, a single player walking around while carrying the item could noticeably lag the server to a degree greater than almost any other subsystem).

i would suggest keeping the area covered by all lights the same, but instead changing the ramp on each gradient so the areas covered are more well-lit

also possibly consider adding those low mounted 'emergency lights' to more maps
(10-18-2020, 07:33 AM)mbc Wrote: larger moving light sources generally mean more server/client load - the lights becoming smaller had gameplay effects but their largest benefit was really huge lag reductions (with some of the old huge floodlight type stuff, a single player walking around while carrying the item could noticeably lag the server to a degree greater than almost any other subsystem).

i would suggest keeping the area covered by all lights the same, but instead changing the ramp on each gradient so the areas covered are more well-lit

also possibly consider adding those low mounted 'emergency lights' to more maps

Some sort of floodlight would really help with reparing, I don't even entertain the idea of going to fix a breach if I don't have mesons now. Make the floodlight such that it can only be turned on when wrenched in place as I'm assuming most of the lag was caused by the light source moving.
Powersinks are basically round enders now with the way lighting is.
(10-18-2020, 09:07 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Powersinks are basically round enders now with the way lighting is.

+1

Tribaja Wrote:Floodlight

+1 on the floodlight. Here's my idea of how it could work:

1. Large item, must be dragged around.
2. Spawns in engineers repair room
3. Cannot be scanned but more can be ordered through QM
4. Wrenching it over a wire will make it work off the grid. Alternatively, wrenching it over a depowered wire / no wire will make it work off an internal battery.
5. Crowbar to access its internal battery if required.
6. Does not make a very "bright light" which in itself can be a bit nauseating. Instead works like a flashlight but in 4 cardinal directions, i.e: Like a floodlight.

Here's some other 2c:

Artifact lights also now work like these potential floodlights if wrenched. They don't work off the grid nor use an internal battery, which makes them superior.

Also buff glow sticks.
I wouldn't mind there being more emergency lighting on most maps, enough to at least illuminate main hallways, possibly making them resistant to being bonked by a fire hydrant or overloaded/EMPed too.

I think when the game gets really dim it can be super interesting, but it being wholly pitch black is kind of awful.
+1 to sundances idea for floodlight, ive had too many rounds as traitor where when i wanted to do a gimmick which invovlved the lights out, i used a power sink and the shuttle was just called 30 minutes into the round