Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Suggestions for new Security Officer guidelines
For some context, I was browsing Wikipedia articles for fun (please don't laugh and call me a sad nerd, I get that enough IRL as it is) and I came across the Peelian principles which in short, were part of a number of measures put into reforming the UK police force in the 19th century. Reading this I thought, "you know what, the current Space Law material is a bit lacking. Maybe it'd be worth updating with something new". So this is what this is. I've taken the liberty of adapating the priniples into the context of SS13, cutting and merging certain parts for better readability and more modern language and grammar.

The general gist of why I think this would be worth implement is because, alot of these things I picked up and learnt on my own so I think new players would benefit from being able to have that head start and not start from scratch. Also, being able to refer to a fuller guidelines of appropriate behaviour would be better for everyone, new or veteran alike, compared to the barebones Space Law we have currently.

Give me your thoughts on what could be changed around or rewritten.

Security should work to stopppig disorder and chaos through preventative measures and not reactive. Instead of dealing with crime when it happens, take steps to prevent it from happening in the first place. Stop the clown from having all access now instead of having to deal with a raided armoury later.

Security's effectiveness is dependent on the crew's approval of their existence, actions and behaviour, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect. The public are the police and the police are the public.
Crew members that have a negative opinion of Security will actively work in disturbing their work. Crew members that have an indifferent opinion of Security will act indifferent to them. Crew members that have a positive opinion of Security will actively assist Security in their work

Acknowledge that fact that the cooperation of the crew diminishes proportionately to the amount of phsyical force used. As such, only use appropriate force when befitting to the sitation. Suggested methods of detaining individuals in order of force from least to most

Directly asking the individual to follow you > flashing > stun batonning > tasering (in case of suspect attempting to flee)

Public opinion is not built on pandering and letting yourself be molded by the crew's wants and needs but by relying on the law and not personal bias as well as by assisting the crew in ways outside of the regular responsibilities of an officer. EG providing first aid, helping in retrieving lost items, etc.

Refer to use of force only when persuasion, advice and warning are not resulting in cooperation. And even in the worst scenarios, physical force is to be as minimal as neccesary.

Security's effectiveness as a force isn't measured in arrests or quotas but in the abscence of crime and disorder.
Personally I like the sec guidelines as they are now and with the time lock for new players I feel by the time the new sec start playing they will know how people like sec to be. Also the whole "Instead of dealing with crime when it happens, take steps to prevent it from happening in the first place." part would just make people upset that sec is stopping crime that isn't that bad or hunting out traitors instead of just going after baddies that are actually starting shit. Weve had that problem years ago.
Not sure if I'm misunderstanding this but I don't think security should be preventive as if they are meant to be then people will basically just meta game and remove all opportunities for antagonists.
Sorry to say I agree with the others to an extent. These guidelines, while they make sense, may be too intensive and more appropriate to RP server.

If we crush them before they have the chance to commit their crime, their round is ruined and any "fun" they have planned will be too.

I can understand the desire for uniformity among SEC behavior however I feel the underlying problem is that they ignore the guidelines altogether,
no matter how extensive they are.
Just today I met a SECOFF who was well-reported on, yet I witnessed him permabrig someone and set a clown to 3 minutes for assault.
(I think the clown punched an AFK crewmember.) It seems he had good intentions yet neglected to read Spacelaw.

This is why it may have been necessary to place the 13-rounds, the quality IS better I'd say. And somehow we have more recruits than before.
I think you can be preventative in the sense that you can defuse situations.

I've intervened on the behalf of crew that had complaints against other crew over stolen items or assaults and broken up fights.

No arrests, just stopping the situation from escalating to that point.
I feel like unless violence is being flung at an officer, an effort should be made to verbally resolve situations rather than escalate to arrest whenever possible. I also think it would be a good suggestion that if an officer has to choose between saving a life and making an arrest, they should save the life. See too many officers leave people dying on the floor to chase badguy. Like... they'll be back man save the guy in crit.
I don't mind just axing the first point out, I interpreted it more as a "interact with the crew before trouble starts, not when it all falls apart" however I can see how it doesn't really translate into SS13.
Ah, a lot of security I've met would take that as meta game, ling test, hit people with bibles to test for vamp and randomly arrest suspicious people.
(10-16-2020, 02:03 PM)Carbadox Wrote: 4.
Public opinion is not built on pandering and letting yourself be molded by the crew's wants and needs but by relying on the law and not personal bias as well as by assisting the crew in ways outside of the regular responsibilities of an officer. EG providing first aid, helping in retrieving lost items, etc.

I absolutely view things like first aid, breach sealing, and occasional janitorial work as being part of my job as a Sec Officer. A station can't be secure if people are dying on the scene, can't breathe, or are traipsing through puke and blood everywhere. I'm not going to push aside a doctor or engineer or janitor to do those things, but if they are being ignored or things need to be taken care of in a hurry, the responsibility is on me to help keep things safe for everyone.
Try not to brig people if you can help it. Dragging people across the station to sit in a room for a few minutes isn't all that interesting for either party (unless you want to make it interesting). Instead, think up punishments that are more engaging, like forcing them to apologize to everyone they crimed at.