HoS application - gurking (Joaquin Fry)
Usual character name: Joaquin Fry
BYOND username: gurking
Discord username (if you are on our discord): gurking#9828
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Goon servers you play: Mostly 3, sometimes 4 and 1

Reason for application:
I want to become Head of Security for fun. Not only for my personal fun but more for the fun of everyone. I want to be able to protect the crew from bad actors like murderboning antags and bad officers/command while also pushing the storylines of the antags forward that made a genuine effort. In my experience a good HoS always makes the round more fun for everyone. Also, I rarely see any HoS on 3 unless I play deep into the night, so I want to ensure more people can enjoy a good HoS on RP. Also... HAT!

Security experience (300 word minimum): 
I mostly play sec on RP so my whole application is written from a RP sec perspective. I started playing sec after I felt rudimentarily familiar with most aspects of the game and I really didn't experience any of the horror stories you can read on other people’s application. I felt like I improved gradually, round after round, learning from other officers. None of the ideas in this post are original, everything is stuff I saw other officers do, either as sec or as crimer, which I felt improved the game for all involved. I learned that sec has a position of power, as well as a lot of trust placed into them, so I made sure to not disappoint anyone. After I became confident in my ability to judge situations and of course robust crimers I tried to play a very active role in sec. Communication is the most important tool of any security force, I always ask people why someone is being briged, searched or set for arrest. I try to log their crimes. But you also have to respect your other officers’ abilities, when someone, who has proven themselves competent and caught a crimer is doing an interrogation, I ask myself if my presence is really needed there, if not I let them have their own story. This is also part of why I love sec so much, you get to see a glimpse of almost all happenings and storylines of the shift.

I have only ever had one absolutely bad sec round, which is probably mostly luck but I also like to think that being laid back, not getting stressed out and most importantly not feeling personally attacked by dissidents, helped me in having an almost exclusively positive experience as security. No one likes a security officer that takes things too seriously or personally, especially things that were meant only in fun. You might not see it but every officer is a clown.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players? (in no particular order)
  1. Security doesn't have to always win. Of course, try your best to stop murderboners and the like, but when the net fun of everyone increases due to an antags actions why should you stop that? 
  2. Don't take PDAs early into the round and don't take headsets period.
  3. Antags are the people that drive the round forward, treat them with respect. Not only out of human decency, but also because a pissed of antag is way more likely to silently bomb sec, etc.
  4. Tickets and especially fines are criminally (get it?) underused, the wackier the better.
  5. You don't have to be the knight in shining armor, take bribes from botany, deceive the crew by telling the clown, that people want to see briged, to pretend to have been beaten senseless by sec, while he really was chilling in sec eating donuts or place an antag under a witness protection program.
  6. Use the mitigating circumstances from space law often, avoid using the aggravating ones.
  7. Do not take it personally when someone attacks you, punish them as you would punish any other assault.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
    I was conspirator QM with the goal to create a monkey sanctuary, after little difficulty we were finished 30 minutes into the 2-hour shift. I was bored and just looked to make some trouble when I stole some gold bars from someone. The HoS contacted me by PDA and wanted the gold bars back, I refused and as punishment they transferred all of cargos budget I had made earlier into the payroll (I was the only QM so no one else got inconvenienced). With an agent card that was laying in research I nabbed earlier, I went to the listening post, sold the gold bars and transformed myself into a syndicate cargo inspector with all the goodies from the trader.
    I went to the Radio Station to announce myself and said I was planning an inspection since I heard that people were fucking with cargo. After some time, the HoS came to the radio station himself and the real fun starts from here: Of course, he knew who I was but he ignored that and we basically started a discussion for the whole station to listen to. He wanted to duel me, but since I had no guns or the like I didn’t want to do it. He gave me an e-gun and we were about to start w-hen I said I had to go on a bathroom break. I went into the backroom and used a holographic disguiser to come back out and I told him that the syndicate guy ran off. Then I stunned him in the back while delivering a Fallout reference. He was quick to get up though and implanted me with an implanter he thought was a mindslaver. After some confusion in looc we decided to roll with the idea that we thought we mindslaved the each other, so we started yelling over radio that we were each other’s master and demanding that the other one follows one’s orders. This culminated in the duel where I got wrecked by a HE shot.
    What I really loved about this round was the HoS purposefully playing dumb to make the round more fun for everyone. Of course, they could have just ran in gunned me down and brigged me for 5 minutes, but choosing to engage with the antag in a fun way made this round awesome.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
Based on Waterfront Home - Finger on the Trigger (best enjoyed singing along)

NT, forgive them
For the crimes that they threat to commit
What do they commit?

'Cause when one gets stronger
The staffie‘s in a rage, in a fit
They're always in a fit!

I'm a Secoff, what are you?
What do you want us to do?
Shut up!

Finger on the taser, will blow you away, hey!
Finger on the taser, there's nothing to say, hey!
Finger on the taser, I hope you learn to pray

That's what happens when clowns get their way, oh!
We're living in a world that forgotten how to pray, oh!
Unsung leaders from the syndicate, oh!
I rather live in peace than to die in disgrace!

I'm a Secoff, what are you?
What do you want us to do?
Shut up

Finger on the taser, will blow you away, hey!

NT, forgive them
For the crimes that they threat to commit
What do they commit?

'Cause when one gets stronger
The staffie‘s in a rage, in a fit
They're always in a fit

The syndicate, the changelings, spy thiefs, miscrenants and the conspirators, vampires!

It surely ain’t no fun, when they shoot you with their taser gun!

Finger on the taser,will blow you away, hey!

Finger on the taser will blow you away, hey!

hey!
[i]hey![/i]
[i][i]hey![/i][/i]

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
None
I think you are a very good security officer but unfortunately HoS is also different than other sec roles in that HoSes are expected to be very good all-around players. So here's my core issue: You have a tendency to powergame and push/bend what I'd consider acceptable conduct on RP. I'm not going into specifics personally, but there's been a lot of stuff I've seen you do that makes me go "Really? All that knowledge and you choose to do that?" and it's a little disappointing. I'm worried you view the RP rules more as a set of requirements before you make a big mess rather than for the core purpose of enabling role play.

For now, -1 to your app. Again, I've never seen you do anything objectionable as security, it's stuff you do as non-security, specifically in the context of the RP server.
Going to have to echo Leeanei here a bit - Do you do a decent job as sec? Sure. Do I get a little nervous seeing you on as sec? Also true. You've got a lot of knowledge and are reasonably robust, but I feel like you apply all that knowledge to the detriment of others more often than I am comfortable seeing in someone that also has the beret.

-1 from me.
Joaquin is fun and a good player, but i've never seen him as sec.

sorry, but i'm neutral on this one.
My interactions with you are sporadic, but when they do occur, it is not positive.  I remember one time we got locked into the brig by a compromised AI, and I devised a way to get out;  the portamed.  Since that can only hold one person at a time, we had to go one at a time.  I let you go out first and teleported the portamed with you in it, asking you to then do the same for me after.  You never did.  I PDA'd you repeatedly and you never even responded.  At round end you explained that you 'simply forgot', but seriously?  You literally forgot about me, the guy who got you out of there in the first place, the nanosecond after you stepped out of the portamed?  You said you were 'too  focused on resetting the AI' as your explanation, but you seriously couldn't have spent the mere seconds it would have taken to break me out of imprisonment? 

Not only was this a bad move strategically, but more importantly it was a terrible player-to-player interaction.  It really gave the impression you are more interested in validhunting than in protecting the station or the crew.

I also recall a time you detonated a bomb on the shuttle, as an antag granted, but still a dick move.  Your excuse was that some sec officers were on you, and even if they were about to hypothetically kill you (and if they did so without valid reason, thats ahelpable), how does detonating a bomb thats virtually guaranteed to kill you to increase your odds of survival?  What in-character reason did you have?  It struck me as a spite move, and builds into my personal impression of you:  Validhunty when not an antag, validbomby as antag. 

I wont speak for the other servers, but all this happened on RPO, and is behavior that should be discouraged there.

Sorry, but I have to give a -1 here.
Iv seen you on sec a lot and you are an alright sec officer... but a bit aggressive. but sadly being a good sec member is not the only thing to go into making HoS (at least in my eyes). One of my main worry is you just wanting the HoS toys to go off and do sec stuff with the power of the captain to boss people around (in RP).

In my mind a decent hos is some one who helps out and organizes sec to work better and more efficient and using fair judgments even on antags, And a good HoS can find a way to make the round more interesting on top of that.

-1 from me I'm afraid.
I’m not sure if I could trust you to not abuse the authority that comes alongside being a Head of Security right now. This mostly stems from how I’ve seen you acting in other roles, or how you have occasionally pushed the boundaries of what’s really acceptable on the roleplay servers. For that reason I won’t be +1ing this application.

However, I do think you are a capable officer, fun to play alongside, and that your application has had a lot of consideration and effort put into it. So work on improving your general conduct while accumulating some more rounds as security to garner more support, and I have no doubt that you would make a fine HoS in no time.
While we appreciate the time you put into this application, we are going to pass on this application for the time being. You are more then welcome to reapply at a later date after putting some more time into the security job and building up trust in your ability to handle the additional responsivities that come with a Head of Security position.