Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Securitrons Need to be Patched
Securitrons make it harder for antags and non-antags to have FUN. Seriously when nukies or other antag appears, beepsky and the others make it a chore to get to the nuke location without getting handcuffed. I remember a time when i got my hands on a flamethrower and was defending my crewmates from murderborgs before a securitron stuns and handcuffs me before letting me get murdered by the borg! The promblem with securitrons is how it IMMEDIATLY stuns u, atleast guardbuddys can only flash u so u have a chance to escape if your an antag to make the round more fun. Why do securitrons have the ability to basically do SECs job, weres the fun in that. Im not good at coding so i wish the someone can patch the securitrons for me.
What i advise happen is for the securitrons to be removed and the guarbuddies be able to attack people on arrest status. I also want the guardbuddies to be able to prioritise antags like nukies or frickin muderborgs first and not attack people holding contraband when antags like those are around. Heck if u think securitrons are like a staple to goonstation just remove the guardbuddies and nerf the securitrons to only be able to flash and get hit by special moves to die faster. In the end all i want is for sec robos to be a SUPPLEMENT to the SEC force and for crewmembers to not get stunned, handcuffed, and left for dead with murderborgs.
Not for General discussion, more for ideas. 

That said - have you tried shooting the securitron as a nukie? You have uhh.. guns? I mean, you have LOTS of guns. This kills the beepsky. 

As for general run-of-the-mill antagonists, if the security has summoned the securitron to your location, then it's likely they've already set you to arrest and are hunting you. 

If that isn't the case, then you misinterpreted contraband. Your bag will block levels of contraband and securitrons will not target you. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. 
This only really occurs if your running around with a weapon, so holster your weapon! 
The syndicate ID also comes with the added benefit at lowering your contraband level afaik (again, some yell at me if I'm wrong here!)
If security (or QM) are mass producing securitrons, then there is a hard counter to this - EMP grenades. That will turn the tide very quickly in your favor and are very useful things in general.

As for non antagonists (i.e the med dir or barman, or even someone with a flamethrower fighting blobs) the thing you need to do there is actually yell at the AI who will turn it off remotely for you. Security can actually turn it back on and flip the switch to turn contraband off so it won't target you. 

Finally, if you are a non antagonists and have a cool gun and security are cool with you having that cool gun, request from the HoP to add "weapon" access to your ID. You'll never get hassled again. Unless that weapon is contraband, in which case you're in luck as there's also a "contraband" option too.

Tl;dr: you've plenty of options and I see no reason to change securitrons as they currently are.
I think the suggested changes are a bit over the top but I do agree that while the new buff to SecBots is good on their own, in swarms I think it's just ridiculous.

Ideally, the effectiveness of the bots should have diminishing returns though I can't think of any way to do that personally.
I think it'd be good to start off will cutting SecBots out of the Robotics manufactor for now and require manual assembly to be performed so that they're not spammed so easily
(10-14-2020, 12:01 PM)Carbadox Wrote: I think the suggested changes are a bit over the top but I do agree that while the new buff to SecBots is good on their own, in swarms I think it's just ridiculous.

Ideally, the effectiveness of the bots should have diminishing returns though I can't think of any way to do that personally.
I think it'd be good to start off will cutting SecBots out of the Robotics manufactor for now and require manual assembly to be performed so that they're not spammed so easily

I actually agree that mass producing them is too easy, but good luck trying to make them manually. This would require an officer to scan a stun baton (welp) at mechanics, which is just trading one station security over another. Sure you can order a robotics kit at QM, that's one way around it.

I actually think it would be just better to up the mats cost instead.
I had a planned write up idea for this, limit sectrons but registering one per department to guard an area, and only allow four patrol slots tops at a time. I hated it when sectrons, particularly beepsky, were trivial, but this stacking three on top of each other can be a bit much unless you're doing it as an antag gimmick. Perhaps having them send out a signal that causes multiples to become inactive when close to each other or something. Or a sectron disabler tool function if you can get a sec cart for your pda. Said carts can stop them from patrolling btw
Change it so you dont need a stun baton for secbots and then remove secbots from the robotics machines. Anyone that wants to make a fuck ton of secbots that spam you till you crash will have to do it manually.
Yeah, what Kiki said, I got absolutely stomped by the swarm as a low end crimer
Sundance what i ment to say on the NUKIE subject was how civiians have a hard time getting to the nuke location without securitrons cuffing them sorry for the bad wording
Might change it so only the AI, security, and heads can print securitrons? I don't think we should nerf the sectron. I think fix the problem, not the components of the problem. Sec trons, used in minor doses, can help slow down rampages and make work spaces a lil more secure. It was NOT fun when they were trivial.
I don't think there is a problem so much with bots as they are now, but I do wish they had more AI integration
The problem I got is when someone spams a fuck ton of them and they all attack one person at the same time and crash my fucking game.
(10-14-2020, 08:49 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: The problem I got is when someone spams a fuck ton of them and they all attack one person at the same time and crash my fucking game.

Actually, it would be neat if they had a kind of "Swarm Mode" AI that they could switch into when multiple were present.

Instead of each one individually trying to catch the perp, they would start doing things like moving in formation, to block and catch someone that tries to dart back past them to evade. They could even do things like have one stun while another cuffs.

Maybe even extend this to other bots so you can form little bot squads.
Just remove the ability to spam them with zero effort from robotics fabricators and every problem listed in this thread would be fixed.
Moved to ideas and suggestions
I'm partly responsible for secbots being this way, specifically that they patrol and summon properly.

The original plan was to have them be more of a nuisance, to discourage antags from standing still and finishing people off, with Beepsky as the exception that actually poses a major threat to any badguy and fill in for sec.

I think they did a great job before, filling those rolls without being needlessly awful.

But, after the changes I made, it highlighted a few other easily fixed jankbits in secbot behavior and code. Namely, the fact they had to wait before starting another chase path. This got fixed so that they never stop while chasing a perp.

But, secbots needed to not be moving to stun, or at least to telegraph that they are going to. I had put in a function to the movement proc to let it do a thing every step it takes, mainly to replace Beepsky's buggy attack-on-move thing. This got added to all the secbots for some reason, though.

So, secbots being so unbelievably annoying is partly my fault.

Here's what I can do:

Remove their attack-on-move thing (except from Beepsky)
Make them pause for a moment when they get to the end of a movement script
Make secbots ignore those fuckheads who take the Fuck With Security trait

Also, secbots can be built without using a stunbaton. Use a rod and some cables instead!