Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Let's talk about The Cool Zone
(10-14-2020, 10:27 AM)warcrimes Wrote: Perfect example:

Cool zone - for expressing dismay and pain
ACAB - an expression of dismay and pain, directed at a class of people sworn to cause the dismay and pain in question
Cool zone - not a place to debate peoples dismay and pain
Not All Cops - debating other people's expression of dismay and pain.

Once again, nobody needed a textbook definition of the literal meaning of "all" and why that might be factually, technically incorrect.
It's an expression of pain, and trying to police that expression is the same as policing their pain.

You can solve this problem for yourself by learning the historical and cultural significance of the magical phrase ALL COPS ARE BASTARDS, rather than kneejerking in horror at the literal interpretation of it you have chosen.
https://www.gq.com/story/history-of-acab
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/aca...43386.html
https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/what-do...mean-1312/

Or you could continue to try to debate definitions and semantics with people who are speaking of structural concepts, and continue getting burned for not wanting to understand the significance and nuance allowed in human expression.

Thank you for sharing those three articles, they have opened my eyes to the expression. I'm a bit weary about how the expression is a watchword for the ADL but I'm more accepting of it now with that context provided and assuming it's kept to that context. I don't frequent almost any social media or other platforms and get my rare dosage of the news through my local news network. I apologize if I did cause any grief and I promise that was never my intent, rather the opposite, I was just unaware of the context behind the phrase as it is commonly used now. I do wish to ask for maybe a bit less of an accusatory and witch hunt like tone, I legitimately did not know this specific context as I do now and never had the intent to make any feeling of pain or sorrow any worse, and the tone kind of comes off as aggressive, which isn't a good way to open or address an argument and feels hostile and unprofessional, but other than that I have nothing else to say and I am withdrawing my current complaints.
I think what it comes down to is people don't like other people's tones a lot, and are quick to interpret the worst possible version of things people say.

I post in Cool zone occasionally. I like most people there. I have been dogpiled on in there
It was over covid protocols. While I didn't agree with right wingers protesting stay at home orders, my concern was they would later be used as an excuse to prevent assembly over other issues. People at the time seemed to interpret that anxiety as I didn't think they were necessary
before, but I just chalked it up miscommunication, misinterpretation, etc and tried not to take it personally.

People there are definitely on edge, but I think they have a lot of reasons to be?

Quote:I do wish to ask for maybe a bit less of an accusatory and witch hunt like tone, I legitimately did not know this specific context as I do now and never had the intent to make any feeling of pain or sorrow any worse, and the tone kind of comes off as aggressive, which isn't a good way to open or address an argument and feels hostile and unprofessional

I know that tone policing is considered bad, and that it's not anyone's responsibility to educate others on social or political issues, but I do wish people would consider this when responding to people, especially if they are Staff
Sorry Drago, that sass wasn't directed specifically at you and I realise it was extremely abrasive.
I carried my frustration from the thread in general (and repeating this explanation to others in the past), my bad.