Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
[PR] make mime a regular job selectable via job preferences
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR
this will let you select mime via job preferences hopefully making mimes more plentiful across the station and leading to funny mime moments

Why's this needed?
mimes are good not many people play them and they are interesting as a concept ingame and are a fun challenge with their limited communication methods

Changelog

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I like mimes, especially crime mimes, so I am gonna +1 this
ive changed the pr a little well kind of a lot the job taking mimes job of the day slot is construction worker because i believe not only is the rcd deluxe incredibly powerful far too powerful to spawn with and the fact it is never used for good things its only used for Greif and greytiding
I don't really feel good about the Construction Worker limitation to only Mondays. It's part of a larger issue in that I think there either needs to be a dedicated Construction server/gamemode rotation every so often, since I know it wasn't initially a part of the usual job rotation, but I *really* will be disappointed if it's only available on Mondays. I don't have problem with it as a latejoin job since they spawn in the arrivals shuttle with no cash and no ability to be antags anyways, and think that the swap of them for mime makes a lot of sense in that regard. My primary issue is just the availability of it.

I like Construction, I know most every aspect of it, and I usually am able to balance building something small, like a room renovation, with fixing the station. I play on RP and RPO most of the time, so maybe this is also just a server etiquette difference; I don't really know. I try to be good and take requests, and had opportunities to make some really neat things in collaboration with others. I understand people abuse the RCDs. I don't know why it should penalize the job by limiting it to Mondays because whether it's one day or all, people who want to sign up and abuse the job will do it and limiting the days doesn't stem the root problem of the RCD abuse. To a different point, Engineering borgs also get an essentially stronger version of the RCD, and despite whatever abuses might go on there, grief is just ahelped and there's not really the same kind of availability limitations.

The only other role with a similar RCD capacity is ghost drone, which is timegated. I think that might actually be a better way to resolve the griefing activity, just like Security timegates helped weed out some bad behavior. I'd also be okay with seeing a particularly high timegate on the role of Construction Worker; basic construction can be done by anyone regardless of job, so I think to have access to the higher-level tools it wouldn't be detrimental to set the requirements higher towards 20 or 30 rounds. In addition or alternatively, I also find/buy/make tons of the materials with the sheets lying around, and save the RCD for finishing or reinforcing walls; the bulk of the material I use to build is sheets. I don't think it would be detrimental to the nature of the role to give it a much lower capacity RCD carttridge and remove the large cartidges from the general fabricators to make a limit on matter shared between the CE and the Construction Worker. I'd even ask to have the ammo cut down to 50 charges or whatever, and instead have Construction Workers spawn with one stack of 50 sheets of metal and one stack of 50 sheets of glass. That keeps it so people can play Construction Worker with all the tools they need, and significantly reduces the functionality of the RCD, which should mostly be used for finishing touches on walls or whatever.

I guess the last bit is that when the CE happens to be a traitor and does work to bolt the AI upload, break the door permanently, and wall it off, it can be nice to have someone who can counter the broken door, the wall deconstruction, and building things to block lethal turrets. My last round as Construction Worker on Main had this happen. And then, because of the deluxe RCD, it was also possible to re-secure the upload by building three new doors with the correct access levels again.

-----------------------
Edit: To offer some more positive contributions to the idea, I'd like to see maybe Regional Director or Apiculturist as consistent Monday jobs? We never can have enough bees on the station. The other I offer up just because of the access level. If you have any more intriguing reasons for a different role to be on the list, I'd be happy to hear it, though.
yeah you are right if conworker goes people wont be able to make funny shit i think ill go with api culturist
PR's been rejected for this following reason:
Quote:Closing due to discussion with developer team, and we have decided to not merge this PR. Currently, mimes have no unique mechanics and thus don't really have a spot as a full job. Furthermore, mimes aren't generally 'good' for the current gameplay, since they don't have good mechanics to interact with other players, which often leads to grief-ish behavior.

If this PR was just forgotten or a different solution was chosen, per usual, I'd probably just lock the thread, but since it's an outright rejection, I'm putting this into Bad ideas subforum. (Apiculturist being the new Monday Job of the Day is kinda cool though.)