HoS App - Drewmajor11(Character: Xavier Mcmullen)
Usual character name: Xavier Mcmullen
BYOND username: Drewmajor11
Discord username (if you are on our discord):  ReaperofNight#3116
Recommended by (if applicable): No one of note.
Goon servers you play:
RP1
Reason for application:
I've noticed that while the HoS' we do have on RP1 are really good we still only have a small amount of them and that the rotating pool means that we only get an HoS around 1/3 of the shift. I want to join the HoS team to be able to cover more hours and keep control of security and the station during hours other HoS' are not on. I've noticed that a large amount of the time I play security I'm trying to hold security together myself or with one to two others when there is no HoS, reign in the newbies and keep people from instant executing known antags. When there is an HoS I typically try to help them with issues as fast as possible and prepare so I can move quickly to respond to issues, I think typically when I sentence crimes I try to be a bit light but not overly so they still get the point but do not end up rotting away in the brig. I don't take bias no matter how much they yell at me and I treat them fairly regardless of what they are.
Security experience (300 word minimum):
I play security a large amount of the time now, I am mainly a security and science main. Whenever I play security I endeavor to hold security together and keep people from murdering people in the name of the law or killing an antag just for being an antag. I believe that many people have too much of an complete evil view of antags I try to view them for the normal sentence when confirmed and slight extra precaution such as a tracking implant. I try my best to be fair with everyone besides all the abuse they yell and their crime, I stay my best to space law but take my own routes from it when I need to. I attempt to keep other security from being savage and rabid against confirmed antags and I do my best to enforce the law in a way that is not too hard or too light. For example when I confirm someone as an antag through RP means or they confess to us and the rest of security is notified it seems like a large amount of them call for an instant death sentence but antags exist to make the game more fun and make our experience more note worthy so I don't believe they should be power gamed on and instantly murdered or perma brigged. Even if the crime they committed is murder or something similar I try to make a deal with them to release them under watch after their brig time as I would with any other murderer. I've seen captains take authority into their own hands and instantly execute people, when I've seen people such as this I won't shy away from arresting them just because they are higher in command. Too many security think it makes them above the law but I truly believe that it makes it so you are more part of the law and that you need to abide it even more, don't beat prisoners for their crimes no matter how much they anger you. Don't space people for murder, sentence them accurately or give them a fair trial. Do not just let people rot away in the brig assuming someone else will deal with it. I try my best to play logically and keep the game fun for everyone and us, security isn't here to beat antags to death they are here to keep some peace but allow fun as well.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    Do not treat antags as completely guilty and do not perma brig/borg/execute instantly unless their crime otherwise warrants it. Treat antags as event catalysts that make the game more fun for everyone, don't be too light on them but don't be too horrible to them either.
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
    When I'm part of a team and I am the most experienced I try to teach them how to act and not to be horrible to people, to sentence crimes accurately. I typically will work with others on forensics and investigations but I will still fact check their information as wrongly brigging someone is a shitty thing to do. I'll hold the other security accountable for their actions and expect them to hold me accountable for any mistakes I make.

When I am the only security officer I'll try to use the AI to track people and quickly sentence and deliberate on people while still providing solid evidence. If there is no true evidence I will release them. I'll typically patrol a bit and check on work stations and ask the AI to be alert for crimes. I'll typically quickly minorly sentence petty crimes and ask others who were involved opinions as well as commands opinions if I know the command will give me an accurate opinion. I try my best to gather evidence and prove crimes and document confessions. Working as a lone security officer can be a lot more stressful but I still try to operate as if we had a full team and don't just ignore crimes to deal with easier crimes.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
[*]What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
Before I was a late join staff assistant and I rolled vampire. I went and got reassigned to security by the HoP, I worked as normal security until really bad criminals or criminals who would just shout abuse at security came in. I notified the rest of security of what I was and took away the most horrible criminals and made them disappear.. It was a fun round and I was fair to all other criminals, if I would've had the chance I would've thralled them and sent them back to their jobs with a note to not commit any crimes but it was late round when most of it happened. Obviously I would not murder anyone as a normal security officer but this was an interesting security antag gimmick I think.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
I got banned once for OOC IC when I just joined before I fully understood it.
I got banned for like 1-2 days I think like a week after that when I was still extremely new because I threw clf3 in a small maintenance area with other people underestimating what it would do. This was a horrible idea I don't remember if it killed anyone but me but I still feel really bad over it because it likely hurt their experience.
Not a ban but I think I had a note for when a guy attacked me(Wasn't security but I had sec gear which I should've turned in) I accidently went too far and he died, I tried to get him cloned but there was no time for escape I tried to heal him but he was pretty injured and there was no time.
Most of these were a good bit back and I think now that I have more of an understanding of the game I would not make the same mistakes. The person I accidently killed who attacked me I went and asked about the weapons I used to gain more knowledge so I wouldn't accidently make the same mistake again and hurt someone too much. After that I went and apologized to them because I realized how much I messed up.

I think this double posted but I'm not entirely sure, if it is remove one please I haven't because I do not know if it'll delete both.

Also I forgot to add this, for an example of me working with the HoS when normal security to try to help them with workload I've been working with Gunnar to try to keep security functioning well the last few shifts.

Fixed the double post.
Fairly sure like nobody that knows me is on forums so I'll be lucky to get any replies.
While I don't normally play with Xavier McMullen I did happen to this morning, and I honestly think he'd be fine for the beret. He's got good RP sec habits, like trying to arrest non-threatening people with words versus opening up with a taser. He's also really accepting of being nice to antags and it plays out in game that way.

At least ones that don't cause a lot of trouble!

+1
Xavier Mcmullen is always cool to have on security, and I think this application is well written. They keep their cool, know their stuff, and don't act like a shitter, so I'd say ye give em the beret, +1.

also

> Do not treat antags as completely guilty and do not perma brig/borg/execute instantly unless their crime otherwise warrants it. Treat antags as event catalysts that make the game more fun for everyone, don't be too light on them but don't be too horrible to them either.

YES
Xavier's got his head screwed on straight, knows his stuff, and can handle pretty much anything thrown at him from a Sec perspective. Well-written app and a generally good dude.

Only place he could use a little work is de-escalation and developing fast relations/rapport with the other heads on board - two things he'll have no problem refining while his application pends. They're minor things in the big scheme.

Whenever I've played with him, as his fellow SecOff or his HoS, he's always been willing to step up, be independent, and get things done. I know if I ask him to do something...it'll be handled appropriately, RP'd excellently, and I know it's one less thing I need to be concerned about.

I think he could effectively wear the beret.

+1
Very solid communication, patient and direct from what I've seen. Good application as well. +1
I have played alongside "Xavier Mcmullen" as a fellow Sec Officer, and various other crew positions. The shifts we have shared together number at least 10 or more. What I have observed from Xavier is behavior that leads me to believe he is far more emotionally driven than he is logically driven. An example of this is ignoring explanations or rhetoric from individuals he has made a negative first judgment of and going as far as to try to get others to ignore it as well by insisting on his perceived emotionally blinded 'truth'. Another behavior I have noticed is a blatant attempt to be what could be considered "the good cop". What I mean by this is he, usually while inside of sec with other officers and suspects but not always, will demand and argue over arrests made by officers who either do not share in his perceived truth or officers who he simply has a, almost certainly without basis, bad opinion of. He will always argue for lesser, to no punishment, even going as far as to refuse orders from superiors or releasing suspects before their time is up or before they have been completely processed. He refuses to use SecMate to look at the information as to why someone as been detained instead of choosing to make it a public and confrontational display. This kind of behavior is not only unnecessary, it is inefficient, subversive, and hurts the security department as a whole. This act further extends to situations outside of the Sec Office, which sometimes puts people in danger due to the disruptive and confrontational nature of his approach in this behavior, even going as far as to refuse to continue the conversation in the Sec Office, forcing it to be a public display at the sit of the crime, which has not always been fully resolved. It also should be noted, these judgments and opinions he forms are harbored from shift to shift, in such a manner that one could easily call it "metagrudging", making it not only unacceptable security officer behavior but also in violation of game rules. Besides all this, he shows a distinct lack of care for justifying his own actions in a very hypocritical manner, instead only repeating, with increasing hostility, his original hollow claims or accusation. In closing, I say with emphatically and with complete certainty that Drewmajor11, aka "Xavier Mcmullen", should not be allowed to be a Head of Security on the Goonstation servers.
Ok I don't want to start an argument here but I do want to point out one thing for that secmate thing I check it whenever I can check a record or release them, I specifically try to be logical and I was trying to resolve the issue between us as I believe we both have misunderstandings about each other. As I do not want to start an argument or anything that is an issue I just wanted to make that one point.

Accidently mistyped a bit here but I can't edit it.

I should mention that I do think one of the times you're talking about I did act a little bit over the top.
Hey! I've played a lot of times with Drewmajor11, aka Xavier Mcmullen, and I have witnessed him, in and out the Security Department, over and over successfully catching antags and self-antags, while other Security Officers just wander around. I believe having him as a Security Commandant would be a good choice to make most of these Officers as he has a nice game sense and good guidelines.
His altruism is one of the qualities that also leads me to think he would be a great Head of Security, as he constantly attempts to teach new players how to do play.
There have been cases where, if it were me, I would almost perma-brig (ironically) a criminal while he keeps calm and tries to be fair and equal towards every player, therefore causing me to believe his addition to the Heads' Quarters would cause the whole 'excessive brig time' to happen less often.

+1
I've seen Drewmajor11 come up in a lot of ahelps, and they don't seem to have a good grasp of RP and what's appropriate and what's not. I do not think they're ready to be a HoS.
Yeah I think I've came up in a few misunderstanding ahelps that were my fault and a few were I messed up. I brought that up and I've been working on that I don't know if I still come up in them because I cannot see them but I think I've improved a good bit but I could still mess up a bit without fully knowing. I think the most recent ones were mainly misunderstandings but I know I've messed up for a few of them where it wasn't just any kind of misunderstanding.

I am doubting I'll manage to get HoS the first application but at least I can get feedback so I can improve more.

Also actually I am curious not to argue a point I am just curious how many ahelps have come up from me being security? I feel like I play a lot different between security and other depts. I know either way ahelps are not a great thing but I am curious if it's possible for me to know.
Without getting into specifics on the exact reports, it’s mostly a mix of issues around non-antagonist power-gaming type behavior most commonly. You seem to have (or at least recently had) a habit of trying to speed running your way to valuable pieces of equipment your job would not normally have access to at the start of RP rounds, which is firmly frowntown behavior.

For myself personally: I get the vibe that you’re very knowledgeable about the game and I get wanting to show that off but with Heads of Security, we’re outright handing them a ton of power both in terms of authority and actual equipment. It’s for that reason, a major point of these applications is to help us gauge who we can trust to be responsible with that power and I believe that at this point, you need to work on proving that.
I think that most of the time I would do anything like that would be as scientist doing some telesci stuff then not using it against anyone or for anything that would hurt anyone and mainly using it to mess around(IE immortality and just walking around shooting myself), does that count or is it something else?

Which isn't something I've done as security as far as I'm aware, also I'm not saying you're wrong or anything I'm just trying to get clarity.
I've been trying to figure out ways to word my response in order to be constructive but flourish and mrfishstick have summed up a lot of what I was trying to convey.

You have definitely improved behaviour wise compared to when you first started, so well done on that, genuinely! I love seeing people improve! I do worry about powergaming, round after round of speed running ak/crown springs to mind though I concede you were not security.

Whilst I may not be on 100% of the time, from what I've witnessed of you as security, while you are improving with interactions I personally don't think you're ready for it.

Keep doing what you're doing, keep communicating with your team and other departments, de-escalate where you can.

I'll keep an eye out for you as security moving forward and give you feedback if you want/need.
Actually I've only gotten the crown one time I've ever played. I would go to biodome sometimes though just for telescience fun, I would typically just rush through it though so thats fair.

(Basically I do agree I would sometimes run it too fast I'm just pointing out the crown isn't one of the things I do ever.)

Sometimes I'm just not creative enough so I do the same gimmicks with telesci stuff.