Poll: should mime be selectable through job preferences?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!! i love mimes and more jobs are good!
64.00%
16 64.00%
i hate mimes!! >frown and we dont need more jobs
8.00%
2 8.00%
*silence*
28.00%
7 28.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Do you think mime should be a regular job instead of a latejoin?
I think one day a week Mime and Clown should be antag to each other and they get points based on the pranks they pull on each other. Get some spy vs spy shit goin
(10-10-2020, 09:42 PM)vampirate Wrote: I think one day a week Mime and Clown should be antag to each other and they get points based on the pranks they pull on each other. Get some spy vs spy shit goin

I like this idea
Heya, so the PR to make Mime a regular job was rejected because, Mime isn't fleshed out enough to become a real feature. The part that's especially problematic is they don't have a lot of unique ways to interact with crew (think about how like Clown can slip people or honk their horn at them) , and as it was way back in the Exadv1 days, when they don't have anything to do or ways to interact with people, they often resort to grief.

So, basically, propose mime mechanics here.
Mimes should start with better devices for communication.

I'd love index cards they can write on, but post its would be nice.

They could also use a slide whistle that just lets them play tones to express mood
Mimes are clowns from the EVIL dimension, give them an EVIL lair and EVIL items to commit EVIL
stolen idea: what if the mime and clown were actually comedic partners and could give each other funny "buffs"
(11-02-2020, 04:24 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: stolen idea: what if the mime and clown were actually comedic partners and could give each other funny "buffs"

This is the best idea. Mimes and clowns should have comedy powers that only work when near each other. Maybe we could even make it so if there is both a roundstart clown and roudstart mime and one of them roles antagonist, the other one will always be made a hardmode traitor with an objective to make sure their counterpart succeeds.
I like the idea of them being antagonistic to each other, what if we gave them more tools in line with pranking each other? Give them goals to meet in terms of causing humor to happen to the opposing comedian, such as slipping them, pie-ing them, covering them with water, etc.

Along with that, perhaps you could give the mime more slapstick joke traitor tools? How about one of those fake revolvers that spits out a flag, but it also actually fires an invisible, inaudible bullet that knocks out someone for 7-ish seconds
in my experience, mimes and clowns being antagonistic toward each other is both

1) awful for everyone on station who isn't them

2) incredibly overplayed on other servers

it'd be cool to do something similar but different by having them be buds instead. makes them their own little comedy department
I think making the mime start with a hand labler would be a good idea. as for wether the mime should work WITH or AGAINST the clown, i think with would be more intresting
(11-04-2020, 07:25 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: in my experience, mimes and clowns being antagonistic toward each other is both

1) awful for everyone on station who isn't them

2) incredibly overplayed on other servers

it'd be cool to do something similar but different by having them be buds instead. makes them their own little comedy department

I agree. There's a lot to be said for comedic duos.
So, I want to give this some real thought - as I really do enjoy playing mime and it has slowly over time become the rounds I typically have the most fun in.

Honestly, mime v clown warfare - like Ursula and others have already said, is played out and boring. Typically I tend to wave at the clown and avoid them if they're the type to start a war for no reason, but there have been times when I've had fun with it if it doesn't immediately end in an all out to the death brawl.

But I don't think slapstick humor at the misfortune of the clown or crew is the mime's alley by any means. Clowns and mimes both indulge in performance, sure, but aren't mimes supposed to be the more serious ones? Whenever I actually get in the mood to bother emoting more than I already usually do as Silencio, typically I go for giving mime 'performances' to people, but I never really know how to go about this unless I have some mutations or other things.

In fact, making mimes spawn with Polymorphism would be nice. I always enjoy touching someone and literally miming their actions.

I've never played mime on any other SS13 server, but I've always heard there are some that can make invisible walls? I think being able to do something like that would be annoying for other players and only lead to grief, but being able to trap yourself or occasionally get trapped - as a mime - in some sort of invisible box that is by no means invulnerable would be amusing I think. The only times I've ever tried emoting it, it usually fails to really capture the idea because inevitably I'll get pushed or stumble because I'm drunk. But I'm just imagining a situation like:

Quote:Silencio is unable to move, seemingly trapped within an invisible box!
Silencio screams.
Silencio points at the approaching blob. (x5)
Silencio beats on the box's invisible walls to no avail.
The blob begins to absorb Silencio!
Silencio screams.
Silencio *deathgasp.

But mimes involve their audience in performance too, usually to their benefit, especially since the average person isn't going to be able to pantomime very well. For example, ET the Mime - a mime from Toronto who only has 4 videos on his channel - might be one of the best mimes (I'll be honest I haven't seen many) I've ever seen in my life besides Marcel Marceau whom Silencio pays homage to.

Whether it's being able to make your audience see the non-existent car you're having some kid (clown? lol) driving. Or making both the audience - and the member of the audience you're interacting with - believe you're sitting at a restaurant on a date with each other:

A lot of that's harder to do in SS13 - even in a situation where both mime and audience are intent on emoting and roleplaying it out.

A thought I've had similar to the classic 'walking against the wind' mime act, is that mimes in-game should have a way to be flung harmlessly or hit by something. Almost like how the hallucinations from LSD/Bath Salts/etc work where you're being hit by dragons, etc. Like maybe an invisible (to others) mob that can be fought and pointed at, so others see it as:
Quote:Silencio points into the air.
Silencio screams.
Silencio punches the air.
Silencio screams.
Silencio is thrown backwards through the air! Holy shit!!

Probably not feasible though.

More realistically, mimes should totally be able to juggle with *spin like clowns. The last time I was at Disney World - I literally wound up watching a mime juggle and get the crowd to try and successfully throw things into a net he was holding for like an hour because rather than let the crowd win, he'd deliberately get hit by the ball or go wide whilst constantly using his whistle to berate the thrower for missing. That athletic mime proves that clowns and mimes should be able to juggle equally:

[Image: 7lxdfaz.jpg]

Anyways I should be in bed by now since I have work in the morning but I'll try to make this post not completely terrible later
You know, I think we could have mimes in interact with invisible objects, but it should only effect the mime.

Maybe even have other people pantomime things like guns and it'll hurt the mime
(11-05-2020, 11:08 PM)Alphaeus Wrote: Alpha Mime Speech that is on point

You have almost made me like mimes, good work!
Mimes to my knowledge still face that annoying bug - when joining and selecting their Mime name their bank account name does not get updated from their player name; resulting in them being unable to purchase anything from vending machines and other places.

It is not fun to have to explain that to the HoP every round.