Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Reroll player traits upon cloning
(10-06-2020, 08:23 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: Honestly, I like speedcloning because just sitting there doing nothing for a minute or two is in no way interesting gameplay for anyone.
Neither is cloning people instead of interacting with our fun medical system for organs/mutations/reagents/etc. (Which I think is fine in how much work it takes to fix people, generally.)

The only issue for me is that cloning is now so quick that it bypasses that cool medical system for something which is instant and easy.
That is why I think cloning should have a downside, but it should be one that is not just "you gotta wait while doing nothing".
I like adding a reinforced negative mutation or a negative trait, because that gives a real consequence to dying, but not one that is *too* bad.
We could also just add a negative trait while keeping the rest of the traits the same, so people can keep their trait "identity".

My same approach. Speed cloning is nice, it's just too nice in a way that steps on another game mechanics toes
It's me again.

I think this thread is unnecessarily shitting on MD's who opt for cloning over treatment.

Yes, there are a few who are just lazy. But there are a few major factors why someone will clone you over treating you, such as:
A) Triage issues. 
B) "Lost causes", where you are at the point where you don't have heavy crit medicine at hand and you are wasting medicine keeping them alive. 
C) They are literally the janitor/clown/chef and are ill equipped. 

Sometimes it's a combination of all of the above. This isn't bad doctoring, it's just life man. *hits blunt. 

This is why I think cloning aftercare is a good approach, but I will add there should be methods of corpse preparation beforehand to reduce the level of complications of this aftercare. This opens up options, treat corpse first and have a safer but slower clone or just shove the mangled staffie whose life is cheap anyway and roll the dice. 

Moving on to these important points:

KikiMofo Wrote:The problem with cloning aftercare is THE PERSON WHO IS GOING TO CLONE SOMEONE ISNT GOING TO BE THERE FOR THE AFTERCARE. They will just pop the person in the cloner and run off leaving the cloned person to either just wander around and die or hope some other medical guy is going to be there to help. So that doesnt really incentivize the person that SHOULD be healing them instead of cloning them to actually heal them. It just passes off to be someone elses problem

gleb09 Wrote:I feel that having cloning aftercare doesn't fix the issue of doctors choosing cloning over doctoring. The doctors choosing to clone would still choose to clone. What incentive would they have to do doctoring after if they weren't willing to do doctoring in the first place?

Again, these are implying the doc's shoving you in the cloner are bad doctors and won't treat you should you have some odd malady post cloning. You are not dying, so therefore point A) and B) above doesn't apply. 

And passing it off to someone else's problem isn't a problem. Giving doctors more work to do in general is a good thing, especially if that involves surgery, which is a fun thing. Adding to this, Medbay is a closed loop: it's not like passing around medical issues suddenly absolves the doc who clones.
(10-06-2020, 10:32 AM)Sundance Wrote: This is why I think cloning aftercare is a good approach, but I will add there should be methods of corpse preparation beforehand to reduce the level of complications of this aftercare. This opens up options, treat corpse first and have a safer but slower clone or just shove the mangled staffie whose life is cheap anyway and roll the dice.

I like the sound of that. I think the aftercare should be closer to the medical system rather than traits. So the cloner could spit you with random or predetermined damage. Maybe missing a limb or organs. That way it's directly related to doctoring rather than to weird traits.
I aint laying the blame on MDs that put people into the cloner. I don't MD so thats what I do. If its anymore serious than something a medkit cant fix then I either hand it off to medbay or I just wait till they die and clone them. I've just been saying I think its too easy to do that. Just clone them I mean. If I didn't think I could just clone them if they died I would try harder to keep them alive but because cloning is a simple and quick process that doesn't fail unless they are puritan I don't really think about it much.
everyone is making the point that 'there should be a punishment for using the cloner instead of saving people' but this whole suggestion is a permanent, undoctorable punishment for the person dying, not the lazy doctor - the doctors cant do anything about it! it's not punishing doctors for not medicating.

back before the atrop/synap combo i would still just let megacrit people die and clone them, and if atropine were to run out i dont think i'd really give a toss if they have permanently dodgy, yet harmless changes. i'm not able to fix it and it isn't THAT bad. but if me not saving someone means they're getting cloned and asking repeatedly to have their arm reattached/shrapnel removed/mutadone/heals i am probably just going to stop them dying to stop that headache later down the line.
I'm very much against mucking around with people's traits. It messes with the character in an unfun way and an incurable 'punishment' really isn't something that should be in the cards considering station lethality.

The idea of pre-care and after-care with issues like bone shrapnel, missing limbs or organs, ect seems far more fun both as the doc and the dead dude.