Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Reroll player traits upon cloning
Cloning is now so fast it's being used in place of medicine.

On the one hand, faster revives mean less player waiting. But cloning needs some kind of disincentive to encourage saving someones life the old fashioned way.

I think randomizing your traits would be the way to go. Upon cloning, it would tally the negative and positive traits you have, and give an equal value replacement.
If a bad doctor is letting someone die and cloning them instead of bothering to heal, I'm not sure their patient/victim suffering the potentially funny consequences of the doc's actions is going to sway them.
I am not sure I follow your reasoning here.
You want to discourage doctors from ignoring standard medical procedures and just cloning their patients by... punishing the patient? What?
Once you die you lose all rights to what happens to your body after. Now a days people seem to think cloning is a given and they WILL get cloned unless the body is rotted or cloning is blown up. If you are coming back into the round after dying you should be happy with what weird cloning issues there are. I don't know about every clone getting rerolled traits but there should be a chance that traits get fucked with or something when you get cloned.
I think yeah, having a precloned body have generic visible features would offset it nice, and a reroll of traits is also a solid.
(10-04-2020, 09:34 AM)vampirate Wrote: I think yeah, having a precloned body have generic visible features would offset it nice, and a reroll of traits is also a solid.

I mean it makes sense. The body isnt really YOURS because it was already kinda prebaked before you got there. I don't know how the ~lore~ of SS13 cloning works but I assume its just putting your mind into another body. The body ain't yours it's just the mind that's yours. The precloned body should have its own defects and looks.
I get the basic idea, but rerolling traits means you have a random chance to, among other things, be blind, deaf, unable to reliably work with things like computers, or have silly accents you may not even be able to translate properly yourself.

As mentioned before, punishing the patient won't discourage doctors from taking the lazy way out.
Looking forward to being cloned and immediately exploding because it rolled puritan.
Yeah this is just punishing people for having an inept doctor.
(10-04-2020, 12:09 PM)Leeanei Wrote: Yeah this is just punishing people for having an inept doctor.

Doesn't have to be negative traits. Just a reroll. Cloning has become way more benevolent in recent years. This is just a minor inconvenience that encourages better doctoring without any serious drawbacks.

So yeah maybe exclude the bad traits except accents.
Guys if you die you die. Game over. Its just a happy little accident that you get another chance. If you get another chance you should be happy with what you get not complain that it's not what you wanted. Same thing I tell people who complain about getting borged instead of cloned. Also maybe if cloning wasnt a pure resurrection people would put more thought into saving someone from dying and maybe more thought into figuring out the OTHER ways of bringing someone back.
I've always thought cloning was just too easy and with the premade body you can make in cloning nowadays it's even easier where its literally faster to just kill them or have them die and then pop them into cloning than it is to bring them back from moderate crit.
Imagine you're in this situation: a new patient in medbay is in crit, stage 3 cardiac, 100 burn/brute, has poison in their system, is on fire. What would you do to discourage doctors from just leaving the patient to die and cloning them? I understand some doctors enjoy the situation, it's what makes doctoring fun. But what's the downside of cloning them? It's faster, it uses fewer resources, and you don't have to stand around. If punishing the player is the wrong way to go about it, then the alternatives are to reward the doctor for doctoring, or punish the doctor for not doctoring. The only way to make doctoring as effective as cloner is to start everyone off with a Strange Reagent Cryoheal mix so how about we make cloning worse for the doctor but not for the patient. How about needing to set the body up first before it can be scanned. So to be scanned:
Need to be not rotting
Need all bodyparts and/or organs
Need to be naked
Need some cloning chemical to be present in the bloodstream

This adds an amount of work to clone the body and if you were to need all limbs/organs, you'd have to do some doctoring to set up the body in the first place. If prepping the body takes some time then maybe Embalming Fluid would be used more.
(10-04-2020, 09:34 AM)vampirate Wrote: I think yeah, having a precloned body have generic visible features would offset it nice, and a reroll of traits is also a solid.

That would also be a fun way to go about it, seeing what traits the next clone will have ahead of time and either flushing it and starting over, or even reserving it if it has a nice set
(10-04-2020, 01:19 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Guys if you die you die. Game over. Its just a happy little accident that you get another chance. If you get another chance you should be happy with what you get not complain that it's not what you wanted. Same thing I tell people who complain about getting borged instead of cloned. Also maybe if cloning wasnt a pure resurrection people would put more thought into saving someone from dying and maybe more thought into figuring out the OTHER ways of bringing someone back.
I've always thought cloning was just too easy and with the premade body you can make in cloning nowadays it's even easier where its literally faster to just kill them or have them die and then pop them into cloning than it is to bring them back from moderate crit.

The main problem though is that, if someone is being borged, you know exactly what you're getting: A sleek metal body in exchange for usually having less free will of your own and less freedom to do certain actions, such as picking things up.  You get a trait reroll, what could happen?

How many of those traits are considered a dealbreaker?  How likely are you to keep playing if you wake up blind?  Deaf?  Unable to speak?  A combination of the above?  How likely are you to tell a doctor to scan and clone you all over again because of those traits?

What if you got Puritan and, after all of the above, you blow up?

Being punished by being a borg, you at least know what to expect.  Being cloned can potentially be borderline unplayable.
Have the cloning computer able to pick the blanks traits from a mini list of random ones. Require at least 1 or 2

Or tie adding traits to speeding up rhe process