Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
[PR] Make hacking lockers require netpass_security, give more ways of finding netp...
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[BALANCE][WIP][FEATURE][INPUT WANTED]

About the PR
This PR makes three main changes:
1. Using packets to hack lockers will require netpass_security, not netpass_heads
2. Netpass_security is currently only available on the captain's disk. Now it is also available on the disk security members start with, and it's transmitted by the armory authorization computer
3. The armory authorization computer can be hacked using netpass_heads. You'll need to be within 3 tiles to do so, and it will also make a stationwide announcement, so be ready to make a hasty retreat if you plan to do this!

I think the biggest issue with this patch is that the packet emitted by the armory auth computer doesn't really do anything other than provide the netpass_security. This could probably be tied into the receive_signal triggers for lockers and doors, but there's already an area check that would be kind of awkward to replicate, and also I'm lazy. If someone else wants to add more packet integration into this PR, I would welcome it, but I think it could be acceptable without it?

Why's this needed?
Currently, hacking lockers open is trivial. This will make it more difficult while still providing multiple methods of doing so.

Changelog

Code:
(u)glassofmilk:
(*)Using packets to force open lockers now requires security authorization!

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
This is a good change, it provides more uses for the auth disk, and more than one or two uses for the netpass_security
I like the idea of using more netpasses.

Looks like theres no legitimate purpose for a secoff to have a security netpass disk, unless I’m misunderstanding? Presumably they'd just throw it in the disposal.

Also on some maps I think you’d be able to hack the armory discretely from a hallway? May become a new nuisance?
The idea with having the security netpass on the sec officer's starting disks is that they could use it in case they need to crack open a locker or crate to check for contraband. Truthfully, that will probably never happen, but I wanted another way for hackers to acquire it, either through theft, social engineering, or just finding a disk in the trash and taking advantage of the opportunity.
The only way to open armory lockers and the HoS locker in my opinion should be with authorizing the armory open and the HoS ID. Oh and explosives. I'd say also the captains locker should be the same but with the captains ID.
(10-03-2020, 06:58 AM)glassofmilk Wrote: The idea with having the security netpass on the sec officer's starting disks is that they could use it in case they need to crack open a locker or crate to check for contraband. Truthfully, that will probably never happen, but I wanted another way for hackers to acquire it, either through theft, social engineering, or just finding a disk in the trash and taking advantage of the opportunity.

I do like making those disks important aside from cloning. I think if other departments have their own passes, giving every head a similar disk would be a good idea
Unfortunately, this PR went stale and expired. If anyone wants to move forward with this at some point, the code's still there.
Re-opened this PR: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/2957
This is a little weird. The PR linked in this thread's original post, #2335, was closed, but as per glassofmilk's above post, an identical one, #2957, was opened and merged just today.

Pali's merged this on the expectation of "we'll see if any problems appear", so please, if you have any feedback on how this change has affected the game or suggestions on how to expand or improve it, don't be afraid to share it.