Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR] New Boss: S.W.O.R.D.
I like the sprites, I do think more boss/event variety is good, but I have to follow Drago on this one; as a miner, I never want to see this thing when I'm doing on-station mining. I really like that I don't have to worry about spawned mobs when doing on-station mining, and that if mobs are something I do decide I want to engage with, I can go off-station for that challenge. I started on /tg and got really sick really fast of being essential for station supply but also getting wrecked by mobs. I don't really want that experience again, and I especially don't want that if people think miner should be a newb role.

Even with a 0.2%, like Drago said, people spam the QT as miners, or if I'm a borg and there's miners, I'll queue up like 30-40 asteroids in the QT before I go do other things. A 120-minute RP round gives a lot of time to pull a lot of asteroids. I think I'm comfortable enough with the amount of danger as a human when mining that comes from explosions + rads + being in isolated parts of the station. I think this could be cool as something that miners and telesci people could try teaming up to take down somewhere off the station z-level though (or maybe on it but in a remote spot?), and I'd like the option to be able to engage it, but I don't want it to be something that happens while I'm trying to just do my job if it's not something I'm seeking out. I also worry about miners activating what's essentially a station-wide event in the course of their work when other parts of the station may not be ready/wanting to do a boss event. On Main, I just imagine something like this getting activated and then having the round shake out to also be nuclear emergency or something too.

One other thought is how this might compound with Sol runs. Drone kills are probably more frequent there. If a station is prepped for Sol and disaster and the nerds are out fighting the boss drone + any others they pick up on the way, I think one of the last things I'd want when doing that boss battle is for it to activate another boss battle. I guess I also don't feel so great about this being a super disruptive event to mining specifically but not making it something that miners can easily counter, since melee isn't a good approach for defeating this. 

EDIT: Thought a little on what Drago mentioned about miners spamming the QT to pull this too; looking at the damage effects, this has the potential to be the most deadly weapon/boss in the entire game, and if you're a miner and a traitor, I think this might also make it moot to do anything but spam the QT until you pull + activate it and destroy a quarter of the station. For stuff like tsci bosses, those have to be lured to the station to maximize their destructive capabilities against other crew members. I think it would be more fair to have this one off-station too, for that reason.

It's a good boss design and idea, I just am not sure I'm on-board with the activation methods for the event.

Messages In This Thread
[PR] New Boss: S.W.O.R.D. - by Nebulacrity - 09-30-2020, 04:07 PM
RE: [Future PR] Syndicate Retribution event. Help wanted. - by nefarious6th - 10-22-2020, 01:31 PM
RE: [PR] New Boss: S.W.O.R.D. - by Nebulacrity - 02-10-2021, 01:52 AM
RE: [PR] New Boss: S.W.O.R.D. - by Katzen - 02-10-2021, 06:16 AM
RE: [PR] New Boss: S.W.O.R.D. - by Nebulacrity - 02-10-2021, 06:52 AM
RE: [PR] New Boss: S.W.O.R.D. - by Nebulacrity - 02-20-2021, 05:00 PM
RE: [PR] New Boss: S.W.O.R.D. - by Nebulacrity - 02-22-2021, 05:35 PM
RE: [PR] New Boss: S.W.O.R.D. - by Nebulacrity - 03-09-2021, 02:35 PM