Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR] New Boss: S.W.O.R.D.
Photo 
[Image: SyndicateRetributionBanner.png]

Everything is done. Feel free to check out the PR.

Greetings. 
While most of the event's parts have been atleast somewhat described in my idea file, the loot that will come from the boss is still unknown. Due to this I'm posting a thread to collect your ideas for what this loot can be.

Old thread content:
Quote:Makeshift Syndicate Signaller:
To make:
1) Use a Cable Coil on the Remote Signaller.
2) Use a Multitool on the Makeshift Signaller Frame.
3) Use a Metal Sheet on the Makeshift Signaller Frame.
4) Use a Wrench on the Makeshift Signaller Frame.
Upon being created, the Makeshift Syndicate Signaller will have no metadata inside of it. To be able to use it, all 8 metadata slots must be filled.
Using a Syndicate Circuit Board on the Makeshift Syndicate Signaller fills 1 metadata slot, and turns that Syndicate Circuit Board into a Fried Syndicate Circuit Board.
Emagging the Makeshift Syndicate Signaller fills 2-7 metadata slots. This can only be done once.
Killing a non-aquatic drone fills 1 metadata slot.
Once all 8 metadata slots have been filled, using the Makeshift Syndicate Signaller overloads it, destroying it and forcing the Syndicate Retribution event to start unless it has already occured earlier.

Syndicate Locator Beacon: Cannot be spawned before the game timer has reached 15 minutes. Spawns turned off. Will turn on automatically after a 15-30 seconds have passed. Upon turning on, it will start a 2 minute countdown alongside a station-wide announcement. When the countdown ends, it transforms into the Syndicate Weapon: Orion Retribution Device.

S.W.O.R.D.: An automated miniature doomsday device constructed by the Syndicate.
  Abilities:
    Universal Abilities:
      Configuration Swap: Orange glow. If in Anchored Configuration while on 3 or less floor tiles, switches Configuration to Unanchored. If in Unanchored Configuration while on 3 or more floor tiles, switches Configuration to Anchored.
        Damage Taken Modifier: x1.25
      Stifling Vacuum: Blue glow. Trips and pulls closer anyone in a small frontal cone. Deals 5 burn damage.
        Damage Taken Modifier: x1
    Anchored Configuration Abilities:
      Linear Purge: Red glow. Charges for 1.5 seconds and unleashes an extremely deadly beam that destroys both walls and floors. Silicons take 80%-90% of their max health if they get caught in the beam. Locks orientation 1 second after the charge has begun.
        Damage Taken Modifier: x1.5
      Gyrating Edge: Yellow glow. Rotate 720 degrees, dealing medium brute and burn damage.
        Damage Taken Modifier: x0.5
      Destructive Leap: Purple glow. Leap at the target, causing a breach at the target location if there were any walls/floors there. Carbons at the central tile of the impact have a high chance to get gibbed. On any of the other tiles of the impact anyone affected takes a large amount of brute damage. The thruster at the back deals a mild amount of burn damage to anyone near them at the start of the leap, and also sets them on fire.
        Damage Taken Modifier: x0.75
    Unanchored Configuration Abilities:
      Heat Reallocation: Red glow. Draws excess heat to the external plating, setting anyone adjacent on fire.
      Energy Absorption: Yellow glow. Become temporarily immune to burn damage. Increases the heat value by damage taken during the duration.
      Destructive Flight: Purple glow. Charges at the target. Destroys walls on impact, but not floors. Deals mild brute damage on impact to carbons and silicons. The thruster at the back deals a mild amount of burn damage to anyone near them at the start of the charge, and also sets them on fire.
        Damage Taken Modifier: x0.75
Loot:
  4-8 Syndicate Circuit Boards
  2-4 Iridium Alloy
  1 S.W.O.R.D. Engine

The S.W.O.R.D. Engine originally needs to be welded to free it from a shell of mangled metal. Doing so yields 1 an Iridium Alloy as well. It was supposed to be a better, portable SMES, but I have failed to code it so and I'm too drained to continue. Thus, it will remain just as a source for the core within. If the core is exposed, it can be picked up by clicking on the engine with a crowbar while wearing proper protection. (wear insulated gloves, kids!)
It can be anchored/unanchored with a wrench.
It's core can be exposed with a screwdriver.

The S.W.O.R.D. Core can be used to create one of the following items:
    Syndicate Purge System
    Syndicate Shield System
    Syndicate Destruction System

The Syndicate Purge System is a pod weapon which releases a beam similar to Linear Purge, but only 4 tiles long.
  The Syndicate Shield System is a pod system which takes a snapshot of the pod's health at the moment of activation and rewinds to it (if it's higher) after 5 seconds, with visuals similar to Energy Absorption.
  The Syndicate Destruction System is a flaming sword which, when used, scans every tile adjacent to the user, including corners.
    In the scanned area it:
      Breaks walls
      Deals mediocre burn damage to carbons
      Deals minor burn damage to and stuns borgs

Obviously, I've already finished all the sprites, so here's a few examples:
[Image: ss13SyndicateLocatorBeacon_OverlayPreview.gif][Image: ss13SWORD_HeatReallocation_OverlayPreview.gif][Image: ss13SWORD_DestructiveLeap_OverlayPreview.gif]

Yet again, the main goal of this thread is to collect ideas on what this boss would drop. As my past self already mentioned in the idea file, things that would benefit more than 1 person are preferred.
Thanks for your inputs.
Seeing as this would be tied to the mining magnet that means this would be a space only boss, to which I have slight concerns about its knockback abilities, since once someone gets launched in space they don't stop until they hit something, usually being an asteroid or structure in debris wherein they take like a fuck ton of brute upon impact. Other than that it looks really cool and I'm totally behind this idea, it's time for the Y-drone n X-drone to no longer be the only bosses available.

In terms of loot and based around the event, I'm not sure what you have in mind for the syndicate forces assaulting the place, as in do you intend drones or actual critter agents? If drones you could have them drop some matsci parts for tools n such, and agents could have their micros removed so as to be looted of their gear.

As for the S.W.O.R.D itself, I think it would be interesting to maybe have an engine/PTL upgrade or something that could be slotted into the engine or PTL or maybe an SMES to allow it to produce its own energy up to an amount or increase an engine's output. Alternatively maybe it could also do something special for shield generators on the maps that have them.

For smaller scale rewards, it could drop for mining like a load of materials or maybe even a weapon? Could maybe have the engine unit of the S.W.O.R.D drop individually and allow it to be crafted into a pod engine, pod weapon, or mining tool perhaps.

EDIT: forgot to voice another concern about how this could be a very common thing seeing as most experienced miners use the QT to pull in asteroids and any miner can spam the mining magnet either to specifically pull this boss or because they simply aren't getting what they need/want.
The sprites are good. Dunno about anything else. I just really like those sprites.
(09-30-2020, 07:58 PM)Drago156 Wrote: Seeing as this would be tied to the mining magnet that means this would be a space only boss, to which I have slight concerns about its knockback abilities, since once someone gets launched in space they don't stop until they hit something, usually being an asteroid or structure in debris wherein they take like a fuck ton of brute upon impact. Other than that it looks really cool and I'm totally behind this idea, it's time for the Y-drone n X-drone to no longer be the only bosses available.

In terms of loot and based around the event, I'm not sure what you have in mind for the syndicate forces assaulting the place, as in do you intend drones or actual critter agents? If drones you could have them drop some matsci parts for tools n such, and agents could have their micros removed so as to be looted of their gear.

As for the S.W.O.R.D itself, I think it would be interesting to maybe have an engine/PTL upgrade or something that could be slotted into the engine or PTL or maybe an SMES to allow it to produce its own energy up to an amount or increase an engine's output. Alternatively maybe it could also do something special for shield generators on the maps that have them.

For smaller scale rewards, it could drop for mining like a load of materials or maybe even a weapon? Could maybe have the engine unit of the S.W.O.R.D drop individually and allow it to be crafted into a pod engine, pod weapon, or mining tool perhaps.

EDIT: forgot to voice another concern about how this could be a very common thing seeing as most experienced miners use the QT to pull in asteroids and any miner can spam the mining magnet either to specifically pull this boss or because they simply aren't getting what they need/want.

The boss isn't entirely space-only, though. It has an anchored form after all. And I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to run up to it and bonk it melee-range.

By forces I mean drones. Feel free to recommend the amount and types of drones to include. Mind elaborating on "matsci parts"?

That sounds interesting. How would one install it? What would it even be? I don't really know how engines work. As for shield generators, that seems quite niche for such a challenge.

Please list some examples for this. The engine/core being utilizable in several ways seems like a good idea. In the case we'd go with the PTL/engine/SMES upgrade thing, perhaps the thing that upgrades it would be the SWORD's engine (a pushable tile that can be anchored/unanchored similarly to a girder) but it can also be disassembled to reveal the core that would be used for a pod engine/pod weapon/mining tool?

It wouldn't be common as the QT percentage increase would be small (I'd probably go with 0.2%) and there usually isn't anyone going on a drone rampage from what I know. Like, Pilot trait users don't have pod weapons, some of the station's pods also don't have weapons and most miners I've seen only kill drones that they can't avoid.
Using the power core for various things seems a good way to go. Off the top of my head:

Insert it into the station reactor: Generates a large amount of power for the station without the over charge effect

Insert into gene booth allows "Syndicate Gene Program" selectable for free. Adds a set of 2 good genes, 1 rare, and 50% of a random bad one.

Insert into chem extractor: Can be extracted into "Irridium Essence" - like silicate on steroids and works on floors/walls. Smoke it!

With how deadly it is to crew and nearby bits of the station, it would be nice to have it help recover from that in some way too. A cloner bonus or such.

I had an idea for a Mega AI Core: Turning an AI core into a mega cyborg that would have abilities it could activate to benefit the entire station (eg. Generates power, can give sechuds a pointer towards someone on arrest, opens more QM traders, etc.), but also requires work from almost the entire station to build. A part from this boss would be a fantastic piece for the MAIC, or some other unique station mega project.
(10-01-2020, 01:03 PM)Brixx79 Wrote: Using the power core for various things seems a good way to go.  Off the top of my head:

Insert it into the station reactor:  Generates a large amount of power for the station without the over charge effect

Insert into gene booth allows "Syndicate Gene Program" selectable for free.  Adds a set of 2 good genes, 1 rare, and 50% of a random bad one.

Insert into chem extractor:  Can be extracted into "Irridium Essence" - like silicate on steroids and works on floors/walls.  Smoke it!

With how deadly it is to crew and nearby bits of the station, it would be nice to have it help recover from that in some way too.  A cloner bonus or such.

I had an idea for a Mega AI Core:  Turning an AI core into a mega cyborg that would have abilities it could activate to benefit the entire station (eg. Generates power, can give sechuds a pointer towards someone on arrest, opens more QM traders, etc.), but also requires work from almost the entire station to build.  A part from this boss would be a fantastic piece for the MAIC, or some other unique station mega project.

The reactor thing sounds good, but it wouldn't make sense for a miniature doomsday device to carry genetics-related equipment as it's unmanned.
Dunno about Iridium Essence but I have seen Iridium Alloy on the wiki. What is it used for? Should I have some of it drop? If yes, how much?

Yet again, cloning tech wouldn't make sense to be present in a miniature doomsday device.

That last idea sounds quite ambitious. Maybe someone else'll make it. I surely don't plan to.
How about a sword?
(10-01-2020, 03:48 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: How about a sword?

Nah. Yet again, makes no sense for archaic melee weaponry to be stored in the thing. And this isn't a magic-based contraption either.
Ok, so far I've gathered that the loot should be as such:
4-8 Syndicate Circuit Boards
1-3 Iridium Alloy
1 S.W.O.R.D. Engine

The S.W.O.R.D. Engine originally needs to be welded to free it from a shell of mangled metal. Doing so yields 1 an Iridium Alloy as well. It is essentially a better, portable SMES. It will only function if it's anchored while it's core is intact. If the core is exposed, it can be picked up by clicking on the engine with an empty hand while wearing proper protection. (wear insulated gloves, kids!)
It can be anchored/unanchored with a wrench.
It's core can be exposed with a screwdriver.

The S.W.O.R.D. Core shocks the holder unless they have proper protection. It can be used to create one of the following items:
Syndicate Purge System
Syndicate Shield System
Syndicate Destruction System

The Syndicate Purge System is a pod weapon which releases a beam similar to Linear Purge, but only 4 tiles long.
The Syndicate Shield System is a pod system which coats the pod in a reflective shield similar to Energy Absorption.
The Syndicate Destruction System is a mining tool which, when used, scans every tile adjacent to the user, including corners.
In the scanned area it:
Breaks rock-related walls
Breaks normal walls
Turns reinforced walls into normal walls
Deals mediocre burn damage to carbons
Deals minor burn damage to and stuns borgs
Obviously, more feedback is always good. For example, we still haven't nailed down the amount and types of the Syndicate forces (drones) that will spawn in at the start of the event.
Do y'all think it should also break walls if it collides with them when moving normally? (ya know, one-tile-at-a-time movement like all normal mobs, not the 2 movement abilities it has)
I think it should.
(10-01-2020, 03:48 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: How about a sword?

After some thinking, I'll probably make the Syndicate Destruction System (the mining tool) an energy sword. So guess you can rejoice.

EDIT: Sprite's done.
Working on the code portion of all the stuff already, feedback still appreciated.
I like the sprites, I do think more boss/event variety is good, but I have to follow Drago on this one; as a miner, I never want to see this thing when I'm doing on-station mining. I really like that I don't have to worry about spawned mobs when doing on-station mining, and that if mobs are something I do decide I want to engage with, I can go off-station for that challenge. I started on /tg and got really sick really fast of being essential for station supply but also getting wrecked by mobs. I don't really want that experience again, and I especially don't want that if people think miner should be a newb role.

Even with a 0.2%, like Drago said, people spam the QT as miners, or if I'm a borg and there's miners, I'll queue up like 30-40 asteroids in the QT before I go do other things. A 120-minute RP round gives a lot of time to pull a lot of asteroids. I think I'm comfortable enough with the amount of danger as a human when mining that comes from explosions + rads + being in isolated parts of the station. I think this could be cool as something that miners and telesci people could try teaming up to take down somewhere off the station z-level though (or maybe on it but in a remote spot?), and I'd like the option to be able to engage it, but I don't want it to be something that happens while I'm trying to just do my job if it's not something I'm seeking out. I also worry about miners activating what's essentially a station-wide event in the course of their work when other parts of the station may not be ready/wanting to do a boss event. On Main, I just imagine something like this getting activated and then having the round shake out to also be nuclear emergency or something too.

One other thought is how this might compound with Sol runs. Drone kills are probably more frequent there. If a station is prepped for Sol and disaster and the nerds are out fighting the boss drone + any others they pick up on the way, I think one of the last things I'd want when doing that boss battle is for it to activate another boss battle. I guess I also don't feel so great about this being a super disruptive event to mining specifically but not making it something that miners can easily counter, since melee isn't a good approach for defeating this. 

EDIT: Thought a little on what Drago mentioned about miners spamming the QT to pull this too; looking at the damage effects, this has the potential to be the most deadly weapon/boss in the entire game, and if you're a miner and a traitor, I think this might also make it moot to do anything but spam the QT until you pull + activate it and destroy a quarter of the station. For stuff like tsci bosses, those have to be lured to the station to maximize their destructive capabilities against other crew members. I think it would be more fair to have this one off-station too, for that reason.

It's a good boss design and idea, I just am not sure I'm on-board with the activation methods for the event.
(10-22-2020, 01:31 PM)nefarious6th Wrote: I like the sprites, I do think more boss/event variety is good, but I have to follow Drago on this one; as a miner, I never want to see this thing when I'm doing on-station mining. I really like that I don't have to worry about spawned mobs when doing on-station mining, and that if mobs are something I do decide I want to engage with, I can go off-station for that challenge. I started on /tg and got really sick really fast of being essential for station supply but also getting wrecked by mobs. I don't really want that experience again, and I especially don't want that if people think miner should be a newb role.

Even with a 0.2%, like Drago said, people spam the QT as miners, or if I'm a borg and there's miners, I'll queue up like 30-40 asteroids in the QT before I go do other things. A 120-minute RP round gives a lot of time to pull a lot of asteroids. I think I'm comfortable enough with the amount of danger as a human when mining that comes from explosions + rads + being in isolated parts of the station. I think this could be cool as something that miners and telesci people could try teaming up to take down somewhere off the station z-level though (or maybe on it but in a remote spot?), and I'd like the option to be able to engage it, but I don't want it to be something that happens while I'm trying to just do my job if it's not something I'm seeking out. I also worry about miners activating what's essentially a station-wide event in the course of their work when other parts of the station may not be ready/wanting to do a boss event. On Main, I just imagine something like this getting activated and then having the round shake out to also be nuclear emergency or something too.

One other thought is how this might compound with Sol runs. Drone kills are probably more frequent there. If a station is prepped for Sol and disaster and the nerds are out fighting the boss drone + any others they pick up on the way, I think one of the last things I'd want when doing that boss battle is for it to activate another boss battle. I guess I also don't feel so great about this being a super disruptive event to mining specifically but not making it something that miners can easily counter, since melee isn't a good approach for defeating this. 

EDIT: Thought a little on what Drago mentioned about miners spamming the QT to pull this too; looking at the damage effects, this has the potential to be the most deadly weapon/boss in the entire game, and if you're a miner and a traitor, I think this might also make it moot to do anything but spam the QT until you pull + activate it and destroy a quarter of the station. For stuff like tsci bosses, those have to be lured to the station to maximize their destructive capabilities against other crew members. I think it would be more fair to have this one off-station too, for that reason.

It's a good boss design and idea, I just am not sure I'm on-board with the activation methods for the event.
I can cut down the chances to 0.1%, or, say, 0.05% if needed.
Note that there's an alternate way of activating it:
You can get a signaller, put some more wires in it, multitool it, apply a metal sheet and wrench it to make a Makeshift Syndicate Signaller. Then you gotta fill it with 8 nodes of metadata - you can use Syndicate Circuit Boards on it to add 1 node per board (frying said board in the process), or go out off-station to kill drones. Any non-aquatic drones that die while the MSS is on the same Z-level as them will add 1 node to it as well.
Thoughts?