HoS Application - Gunnar Gustafsson (Slazzy)
Usual character name:  Gunnar Gustafsson
BYOND username:  Slazzy
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Slazenger#0003
Recommended by (if applicable):  Tiggersaurus, makkipakki
Goon servers you play:  Roleplay #1

Reason for application:  My main goal is to be a positive force on the flow of shifts, create meaningful and memorable RP moments with crew members of all roles and personalities, help reinforce good-natured security work while teaching officers critical skills to be the best they can be, and inspiring others to follow in my footsteps.  Additionally, I hope to be a well-dressed, stylish beacon of hope for the station.  Lastly, the damn chef cooks up that plate of spaghetti arrabbiata every shift and no one ever gets to eat it.

Security experience (300 word minimum):  

I was a naïve new SS13 player that coincidentally got introduced to the game at the same time that the streamer tide hit, and given my personality and enjoyment I get from being in the middle of intense, chaotic environments, I ended up playing Security from the start.  Now a couple hundred shifts in, I'm still not as robust as a wrestler, nor as witty as the radio host, not as slippery as the clown, not quite as good at pushing paperwork as the HoP...but I've developed a well-rounded skillset with experience in most roles aboard the station and developed Gunnar into what I hope is a fun, reliable crew member to interact with.

I tend to play during the evening (Eastern US) into the very early morning. I'm sure it's similar for most timeslots throughout the day, but we have a pretty tight-knit late night crew with a great mix of believable, unique characters and clever, thoughtful gimmicks/scenarios.  It's unfortunately also a time where there are few mentors and even fewer Heads of Security.  As a result, there is an eclectic mix of SecOffs, ranging from those that live and breathe Space Law to those that help reinforce less savory nicknames for Security.  As it stands, I often find myself in a pseudo-leadership role when I play Security, helping to organize Security, bolster communication between everyone, and train/reinforce positive best practices in Security staff.

Gunnar often finds himself stepping up to the plate when needed to secure the station or handle leadership crises, and always works to deescalate situations - I typically work to show staff across the station that security is capable of conducting community policing.  As such I encourage my fellow officers to be accessible, help lost Assistants find a purpose, speak before taking action when possible, and when all else fails...utilize the proper use of the force continuum to get situations under control.

On the RP aspect, I'm a big subscriber to the notion that every player's experience is important.  Whether they are a staffie, a member of command, an antagonist, or even a non-human "thing"...they all ultimately have a story to tell through their gameplay and Sec should not, by default, be where their story ends.  We should be a cog in the narrative they're forming, ensure that when Sec's interaction with them is over that life and (in most cases) freedom are granted, and add something to the story the player was making for themselves.

Ultimately, albeit a few weeks before my three-month milestone, I felt the time was right to submit my application in the hope that I can help be a positive presence on the Roleplay server, help improve the quality of SecOffs while encouraging more players to dive into the fun and intricacies of the job, create engaging roleplay for all players on the server, and ultimately help mentor experienced SecOffs to feel confident to apply for the role of HoS as well.  I've still got plenty to learn, but with SS13 that's a lifelong endeavor. 

• What advice would you give to other sec players?  Ultimately, SecOffs walk a fine balance between maintaining order and being a sort of "support staff" for the entire crew.  This is SS13 after all and lunatics are all too common.  When there's an incident or disturbance, timely and professional response by Sec is seen as a much-appreciated relief by your fellow station members.  That being said, if we can work to build rapport with crew members, be vigilant on patrol, listen to tips from the crew and AI - we can drastically reduce the amount of "reactive policing" we do and instead focus on keeping the station operating on an even keel.  
  • One other thing I have noticed, there's a general vibe I get from fellow SecOffs that it's not okay to ask for help or admit that you don't know something.  There is an incredible amount of map, equipment, and systems knowledge that's needed as a SecOff.  You can function without some of it, but you can excel once you know it.  Don't be afraid to admit when you don't know something and don't be afraid to ask for help.  Sec draws in some of the most level-headed crew members on the station - use them as a resource.  Ask for a second opinion.  I'm still learning new things to this day.

• What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one): Rather than talk about a shift where I was a SecOff, I want to highlight when my typical colleagues made my experience great. Long story shorter but still very long, Gunnar is very, very rarely an antag.  I turned it on for a week under my normal Gunnar character, and ended up in my first traitor round on Cogmap1.  I purchased a derringer (among other things) and stashed it in my janitor uniform.  We had a major kudzu outbreak, people helping to fight it kept getting severely injured by overzealous flamethrower use and I was ferrying injured down to the Med.  Unbeknownst to me, the MD had mindslaved a doctor and they had turned Tech Storage into a lab for dissection.  The injured employees I brought to med ended up in their torture chamber.  Seeing everyone else get hurt, I asked the doctor if I could be scanned into the cloner and while I was in there, the MD came up, popped me out, flashed me, removed my headset and put on a straitjacket.  I ended up bucked into a bed, watching them carve up my janitor colleague that I dragged to med just before.  The Captain ends up walking into Tech Storage in the middle of this looking for kudzu, and gets taken down by the two doctors.  A SecOff ends up pulling the Captain out before a second SecOff comes to trying to apprehend the doctors, he disables one of them before he too is put in a straitjacket.  They saw off a couple of limbs from him before the Detective comes in, takes down the mindslave and then he too is killed by the MD.  Finally the SecOff team reorganizes and finishes off the MD.  Everyone is rescued except for me...I'm left sitting in the blood of half a dozen or more people, wiggling/spinning on my gurney.  
  • Finally freed, the SecOff who lost limbs and survived meets up with me and we both return and get our straitjackets to burn them.  We do an incredible "survivors guilt" RP and go on our way.  I'm still continuing being a little off-kilter due to the trauma, meet up with a regular SecOff/friend I play with, and in true expressive Gunnar fashion, I wink, pulling out my derringer while simultaneously clicking on the SecOff to pat him in response to something he said.  Five seconds of us staring at each other, just outside the bar, him in crit and bleeding like crazy...he says "GUNNAR!!!" and I said "I'M SO SO SORRY".  I apply pressure to his wounds and start calling for medics over the radio and get bar patrons out to help.  He stabilizes, cuffs me, and drags me to MainSec, with me apologizing the whole way and the entire server slowly starting to realize what was occurring, with everyone in a similar level of shock. End up getting brigged, another SecOff tries to give me leniency for being me, I state what the appropriate punishment should be by Space Law, serve my sentence, throw Stirstir out the parole chute (killing him was my traitor goal), drag Stirstir into maintenance and shot him with my last derringer shot, before returning to MainSec, handing over the derringer and turning myself in for the murder of Stirstir.  The entire round was incredible RP from the entire Sec team, three officers in particular, and it's going to take a lot to top it.  In a full 120 minute round, I cleaned about three puddles, instead spending 30 minutes in the torture chamber, 45 minutes doing grief/trauma RP, and the rest atoning for my unintentional sins.
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?  Ultimately I don't feel that Security gameplay loop is lacking much.  There's always plenty to do, whether it's actively working to keep the station safe and operating at its peak or just building relationships and being helpful.  There's a tremendous amount of information and equipment at Security's fingertips to help them carry out their duties.  My biggest suggestion would be a slight usability revamp of the Secmate system, probably by rolling out the new cleaned GUI to all terminals.
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.  I generally act in a communication and coordination role as a SecOff.  When part of a full and communicative SecOff team, I either man the desk or hit the beat.  When on desk duty, I handle the public coming up to the Security office, and pass on information and assignments to the team.  When situations arise, I will abandon the desk to provide backup and help with interrogations and brigging.  When on the beat or when we are half-staffed or less, I try to retain my normal communication and coordination, but actively patrol and build up those relationships on the beat rather than from the front desk.  The HoS position naturally appeals to my playstyle, where I can be the communications hub for the team while allowing the Security team to have one more SecOff slot open.
  • The major difference between being a full team or running solo - you have to go from being proactive to being reactive.  You can still retain your communication while running solo, talking to command/AI rather than your teammates, but you will need to perform triage to identify security needs and ensure you're in the right place, responding to the right issue, all at the right time.
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?  I've desperately wanted to successfully turn a conspirator and use them to take down the entirety of the co-conspirators, setting up a sting operation to lull them into a containment area, utilizing all of Sec, the AI, and command if necessary to breach, and take the entire crew into custody.  We'd take down the turned conspirator as well and lead them off to be released at MainSec.  Sadly conspirators are very rarely willing to break rank, even when directly confronted with the fact that you're aware of their participation.  Soon enough, the time will come.

• A properly formatted haiku:
Frigid outer space
where security dashes
before the madness

I appreciate you taking the time to read this now thesis-length application, and I hope to be helping take security to the next level soon.
Slazzy is one of the better RP secoffs I've ever played with, and he's an extremely positive security influence on the RP1 server. Every shift I've been on with him, either as his superior while a HoS/NTSO or just one of the rabble causing him grief, he's been absolutely stellar with fair sentencing, use of force, and just being fun as hell to play with. He's always trying his hardest to make sure everyone on the security team is working together while also helping teach new secoffs how to play the job well. Basically any shift that you see Gunnar in a sec role, you have very little to worry about when it comes to the security team.

Just in case that isn't enough of a recommendation, I'm going to share a story about the first time I played with Gunnar as Sec. On Oshan I joined fairly late into the shift as the NTSO, and was met by a bunch of people yelling about how I needed to go and talk with Sec about various Bad Things™ they had been doing. I put on my angry face and stomped over to Security to find a prisoner brigged without a headset, and nary a soul in the department. Cue me yelling over the Sec channel about how everyone needed to get their asses over to Security to talk, and the only peep back I got was from Gunnar sounding super worried about what was going on. I ended up finding him in the HoP's office trying to get a headset for the prisoner, while all of the other Sec team scattered away from me like like a bunch of scared mice.

I started on my tirade about brigging practices and stuff without realizing that this poor guy was the ONLY secoff trying to hold the Security Department together and deal with other officers being rude dudes. We then went back to the brig together and it turned out the prisoner HAD a headset, it'd just been sitting under the covers on his bed. I'd scared poor Gunnar so badly when he was actually trying his best to fix a shitty situation and assume all responsibility, yet he still took my lecture like a champ even though I was the first NTSO he'd probably ever seen, and it'd been my fault for missing the undercover headset in the first place. The rest of the shift was basically me feeling like a complete and total tool while watching and helping Gunnar deal with the complete lack of other reliable Sec and being more and more impressed by the way he handled himself.

So yeah, huge +1 from me and I really hope he gets the beret.
gustaf is guut af

nice to see him on bc i know its one less dork i gotta micromamage to mot get security yelled at all round. name i recognise for being good, not bad, enough for a +1 from me.
Recommended without question. It's been a pleasure watching him learn and grow into the security role. He's never afraid to ask for help, always trying to expand knowledge within security and in other departments.

As a silicon main, how security interacts with silicons is very important to me and Gunnar doesn't disappoint. My favourite rounds have been stand offs between REX and Gunnar, often ending in a compromise of laws. He's always quick to pull Borg away from the portable flashers and inform new security that tasers actually damage Borg. I don't think he's ever fired a taser at REX, always words first. He understands that de-escalation is key.

I know silicons are in safe hands when Gunnar's on shift.

+1
Absolutely, it was always good to see Gunnar in the team with the knowledge that sec is going to be that much more level headed. 

+1
So glad to see this one up! Always a joy to latejoin onto whatever's going on on Cog2 and find Gunnar or see him pop up shortly after I jump onboard.

Slazzy's awesome in all roles and his leadership seriously saves rounds. I've had great rounds as an AI working with him and observing, listening, and learning from him. I've had a blast playing with Gunnar when he was medical director and security officer. In one particular scenario I remember being a (severely) subverted AI and despite the crew figuring it out, only Gunnar went into the upload to change the laws, when security was sparse (and we had no HoS) and the Captain was missing (and some other heads deferred the responsibility). Despite it being a simple moment, the fact that Gunnar stepped up when nobody else would showed a real leadership and dedication to keeping the round running for everyone else. So I have a ton of confidence in his qualification to carry that attitude into a role as HoS and ensure that rounds run smoothly and things, no matter how trivial, get done. When playing with Gunnar as security, he took the role of delegating tasks, frequent communication, and overseeing sentencing and brigging to make sure it was done correctly and that brigged players had their chance to continue their rounds after serving their sentences. Slazzy says he isn't a robust wrestler, but he sure is mentally prepared to handle chaos on a station, even if he has to do it alone.

+1!
Gunnar hands-down makes sec more fun to play. Even without the imposing stomp of the heavy military boots he's more than capable of leading, getting the security team to work together and have improved relations with the crew. Beyond that he's also awesome in just about every role I've seen him play.

+1 Bubble Bobble
Slazzy always does well to play their role well(be it an MD, AI, or a Security Officer). They are very inclusive with everyone I've seen them interact with and know how to handle almost all the situations thrown at them. I have no doubt in my mind that Slazzy will do extraordinary at fulfilling their role as an HoS and make and handle RP situations well. I've always had great experiences interacting with Gunnar, and I would love to see how Slazzy will handle any station's debacle as HoS.

+1
I recognize Gunnar. The most memorable round was when they acted dispatcher & receptionist. Had a good head on, communicated well, recommended appropriate brig times to the newbies.
+1
Greene Loades approves this message!
Abso-freakin'-lutely, Gunnar is honestly one of the best security officers I have had the pleasure of serving alongside. Funnily enough, I was the one he shot with the derringer on accident though I remember my reaction being a lot calmer than screaming his name in utter anguish. He's already real good at playing Head for other departments especially Medical; I've never seen such an organised Medbay that didn't have him as MD. Central Command, please, let him get at that spaghetti arrabbiata. He deserves it.

+1
I've been on the sec team with Gunnar a good bit, a few times we were pretty much the only 2 either actually doing something or the only 2 even there and he's always a good secoff to work with or deal with.

+1

Also my character name is Xavier Mcmullen not sure if that helps or not but figured it'd be worth mentioning.
I made a forum account just for Gunnar to get HOS. Capable of working alone as well as with a collective group, Gunnar's experience and contribution to the server as security and otherwise are quite memorable and enjoyable.

The RP that Gunnar is capable of doing is quite amazing, with me thinking back to one round where I was a conspirator captain and Gunnar offered me a way out without all this publicity to my arrest. Of course, I didn't accept due to my loyalty to the syndicate, but having that option to do so and how it affected the rest of the round was very cool. That was probably one of my least favourite rounds because I felt like shit at the end of it, but Gunnar made it a bit more enjoyable.

Also, Gunnar doesn't let his power go to his head. As said before, he's very competent in managing other officers and issues, both at the same time. He as well isn't afraid to call for help when needed, which I think is a skill that many on the server lack, including myself sometimes.

So, yeah. I think Gunnar should get HOS.

+1