Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Server wide vote on extending round/shift on RP server
Hey there folks, I've noticed on numerous occasions that people sometimes play on Goon rp because of the 2 hour rounds allowing them to do more complex projects or other goals (my favourite thus far is a loafer that was built in cargo by engineering on manta) . 
Regardless, it's situations like this and the rarity of heads of staff being willing to recall the shuttle even when the station is in good nick or the difficulty in gauging if they should extend when asking the crew.  It has happened more then once where the captain or H.O.P asks on radio whether or not to extend the shift or calls a vote and maybe 5 people on a 50+ server even respond. 

So I have a couple of suggestions on this, maybe integrate a vote on the desired length of the next round like how the map vote works. This would mean a vote wouldn't distract people currently playing or force someone to stay or leave without finishing the round (a possibility of the conclusion of such a vote near the end of the round) . Alternatively have the vote before the natural shift ending. 

If I figure out the language behind goonstation I might turn this into a PR thread, though I'm nervous about diving into a code base I dont understand too well in an engine I don't know either. I say this should be for goon rp as from what I've discussed with folks on discord the non rp people wouldn't be into potentially longer rounds like this, and find 2 hours unwieldy (while personally I feel they are almost too short when I'm trying to seriously experiment or do a project). What do you all think?
Sounds like a good idea, especially considering that a good number of players on RP are newer. Not all of them wil know how to call a shuttle and the people that do might not always be able to do in with in the confines of the rules.
I've been wanting something like this for a while. Other RP servers, rather than just having an auto-call, hold automatic votes that then either trigger the call or extend the round 30 minutes before holding another vote. I definitely prefer the flexibility of a system that puts the onus on the entire playerbase rather than whichever heads of staff are online to extend the shift.
(09-26-2020, 01:06 AM)sodly Wrote: I've been wanting something like this for a while. Other RP servers, rather than just having an auto-call, hold automatic votes that then either trigger the call or extend the round 30 minutes before holding another vote. I definitely prefer the flexibility of a system that puts the onus on the entire playerbase rather than whichever heads of staff are online to extend the shift.

I suggested the former i.e vote for when the automatic shuttle happens for the next map because space bux is awarded at the end of the round and folks wouldn't be too happy about loosing said space bux if they had to go and didn't know the round was going to be extended (where as a prompt that indicates the expected life time of the round adjacent to the map name would let someone know on the spot what to expect)
I feel like that's an extremely awkward implementation that places far too much importance on spacebux, which are supposed to just be a bonus fun thing in addition to playing, not something you plan your entire round around.
Ya know, this might also be a good thing on the non-RP servers too. A vote to respawn all the dead people and continue the round after the shuttle returns. Sometimes, the shuttle is called just because everyone's dead or the captain didnt roll antag, and there's still a mostly intact station left behind.

Not just saying this cus I coded something that does roughly this.
(09-26-2020, 03:16 PM)Superlagg Wrote: Ya know, this might also be a good thing on the non-RP servers too. A vote to respawn all the dead people and continue the round after the shuttle returns. Sometimes, the shuttle is called just because everyone's dead or the captain didnt roll antag, and there's still a mostly intact station left behind.

Not just saying this cus I coded something that does roughly this.

Yes please, I hate 30 minute shuttle calls soley because of the fact that i dont have much time to do any gimmicks, so having a v ote after round end to extend would be great
This seems good. I didn't realize that there was such a want for it. I figured that command would just send the shuttle back instead of letting it through, but I kinda get that that's taking rp action on something a bit more meta and also the idea that you are the sole person to actively cause the round to lengthen. It would streamline things just to vote.
(09-26-2020, 07:05 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: This seems good. I didn't realize that there was such a want for it. I figured that command would just send the shuttle back instead of letting it through, but I kinda get that that's taking rp action on something a bit more meta and also the idea that you are the sole person to actively cause the round to lengthen. It would streamline things just to vote.

There's been cases where captains in RP have tried to call for a vote but only a tiny fragment of the server actually respond (for obvious reasons, folks are often distracted and not always paying attention to radio). A server wide vote would however hopefully be better at catching their attention, the vote happening alongside next map vote would also help avoid complications with the space bux system. It would be awesome if this enabled more complicated projects or goals ( like making massive extensions to the station). Regardless, I think further discussion is warranted especially on how it should actually work.