Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
make fireextinguishers burst if they get too hot?
They've always been a nasty weapon but recently I've seen them instacritting people with hot liquids quite a lot recently. 

Maybe make some other things burst too, like auto-menders? I haven't seen it used that way on purpose, but a heated automender is also very nasty.
This seems like a simple and elegant balancing solution. I like it. There's already a blacklist for chems but I definitely think it can be expanded
i could give it a progressive bursting thing like canisters - it might even give them some utility as makeshift bombs.
I think it'd be good idea to add something that would prevent the ability of firefighting foam being superheated, EG it not being able to reach past a certain temperature. cus currently it kind of sucks when you're trying to fight a plasma fire and you accidentally cause 4th degree burns in yourself or someone else
Oh yeah - putting a self-heating mix inside just as about you want to set it up - sounds fun.

Wonder...should it already have a smoke effect around it; if it bursts that is? Then you could have pyrosium and oxygen inside...and if one dears some other stuff like liquid pizza or spiders for a nasty surprise.
Nozzle should melt off and spray its contents everywhere around you with a nice light bang strong enough to rip off a limb or two
More things exploding? Im always down for that
Have the fire extinguisher explode like a frag grenade. It's contents become an aerosol dispersal in double the radius of what it would have pooled in.

Makes it less of a pipe bomb, and more of a minor chem grenade with shrapnel.

Edit: Extinguishers left in an area that gets too hot would then also explode, releasing their foam. Might help fight the fire. Might just injure the unwary scientist in toxins. Huffing fire extinguisher fumes isn't healthy IRL, so maybe have it do lung and random organ damage to still keep it with some odd use as a weapon?
Any changes that make it harder to weaponize extinguishers shouldn't also make it harder to fight fires. It wouldn't be very fun if you were trying to put out a plasma fire in medbay and suddenly took a shitload of damage and lost your extinguisher.
(09-23-2020, 02:57 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: Any changes that make it harder to weaponize extinguishers shouldn't also make it harder to fight fires. It wouldn't be very fun if you were trying to put out a plasma fire in medbay and suddenly took a shitload of damage and lost your extinguisher.

I do not know any of the temperature transmission code...but I reckon that stuff you hold in your hand is not getting warmed up by the enviroment.
I agree with Carbadox that fire-fighting ability should be preserved if this is added, one way or another - extinguishers tend to get dropped and superheated during plasma floods.
(09-23-2020, 02:39 PM)Brixx79 Wrote: Have the fire extinguisher explode like a frag grenade.  It's contents become an aerosol dispersal in double the radius of what it would have pooled in.

Makes it less of a pipe bomb, and more of a minor chem grenade with shrapnel.

Edit: Extinguishers left in an area that gets too hot would then also explode, releasing their foam.  Might help fight the fire.  Might just injure the unwary scientist in toxins.  Huffing fire extinguisher fumes isn't healthy IRL, so maybe have it do lung and random organ damage to still keep it with some odd use as a weapon?

So like, the fire extinguisher doesn't actually explode explode so much as all the contents get smoked out?
(09-24-2020, 06:31 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: So like, the fire extinguisher doesn't actually explode explode so much as all the contents get smoked out?

Kind of.  It basically becomes a frag grenade with small beaker bomb, but with a much harder to control timer.  The aerosol was an idea to represent the contents getting flung in a short radius.  My first thought was foaming it, but that would make more sense if the extinguisher still had foam in it.

After some quick research, it seems foam fire extinguishers are quite volatile to extreme heat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxvdrge1q00

Really, some of the more heat sensitive areas should have a fire suppression system built into the room that would handle fires.
changelog: fire extinguishers now melt at 40 degrees centigrade
Just melt? No explosion?