Poll: Remove Gang Mode From Rotation For Now
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes (Remove Gang)
56.92%
37 56.92%
No (Keep Gang)
43.08%
28 43.08%
Total 65 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Remove Gang Mode From Rotation For Now? Vote!
Gang has been in an unusual state for a while. Some people like it, some people hate it. For the last 2 or 3 years, I'm fairly sure that I'm the only dev who has worked on it in any large capacity, and my changes to it are still very much incomplete. But due to circumstances, I can't give it the attention that it really needs to get quickly up to par. That's not to say I ever planned on abandoning it, far from it, I still have many plans, but I also have many other projects that pull me in different directions.

Recently, I've been hearing more and more that the rounds it facilitates are too chaotic or too banal compared to the other rounds to stay in rotation. So I'm posting a poll here. Do we remove Gang from normal rotation for now or to we keep it?

From my end, things would play out pretty similarly development-wise regardless of the outcome of the vote. The notable difference is that if we vote to remove Gang, then I would simply make updates and manually turn on a round of Gang every so often to get feedback and see what's working and what's not.

I'll likely leave the vote open for a week or two, maybe until the end of the month. And then we'll see. 

What the future of Gang mode might look like

I, and others, have had a lot of ideas for what's wrong with gang, how it can be fixed, and just fun improvements on top of everything else. I'm going to outline a few of my plans for gang that have as of yet been unrealized. These are very things I will be working on or considering when it comes to gang in the future; nothing is set in stone here, but I wanted to share some of my plans so as to paint a picture of what gang could be:

- Tagging - This has been a big issue. One of the main objectives of gangs is to control turfs. I tried to facilitate that with giving points for controlling turfs, and that has lead to gangs capturing turfs, but it still lacks one of the fundamental things that this feature is suppose to have. That the turfs you capture are yours and that you should know it. Right now, it's very hard to tell if you are standing on a turf you own or don't unless you can see the tag on a single tile of a possibly very large area. 
    -I've thought that perhaps gang members should have a special vision overlay that allows them to see which gang owns any area/tile at a glance. They'd be colour coded. Maybe only visible via an ability button or when wearing your gang clothes.
    -The two options for changing gang turf tagging I've been mulling over are this:
        a. You can only capture an area that is adjacent to an area that your gang already owns. This I think would lead to more interesting "turf wars" in that you slowly have to push back gangs to gain some turf. 
        b. Similar to above, but this would have every spray paint tag have an area around it, like a radius of 6 tiles around it that captures those tiles as your "turf". And you can only paint over a turf that your turf owns. And spraypainting over a rival gang's tag tag would be a two step process where the first spray would be "X-ing" it out and removing their ownership of the surrounding areas so you can eventually move in. Of course you'll always own the area your locker is on so you can always expand out and with this method, having a visible overlay to see which tiles belong to whom is an absolute must. This could become tedious with all the spraying though.
- Gang points- This system is painfully unfinished. No one is to blame but myself, I just couldn't motivate myself to continue fleshing it out. The way gang points work right now, most people can't buy much fun items, and there really aren't a ton of them to begin with. 
    - I'll likely change gang points to work in a way such that gang members gain points individually and as a group at the same time. Individual points will be for purchasing personal items in the locker. Things like guns, meds, weapons, armor. Group points will be for things that will buff the gang as a whole: things that can help defend your gang without active intervention, sentry turrets, maybe an NPC bodyguard to defend the locker or patrol your area.
    -Put the various types of common gang playstyle on equal footing in terms of points. So you can't just brew chems or grow plants for 40 minutes to amass enough points for weapons to wipe the station. So there are big negative effects for gangs and their points when they bomb the station.
- Make objectives clearer. Add HUD indicator for active gang objectives. Show them which way they can go to find their targets for kidnapping, and tagging
- Gang clothing - This one is tricky. I've tried to make gang clothing a legitimate tradeoff, but sometimes it doesn't work. You get considerable buffs when wearing your gang clothes, but it also makes you a target. But sometimes not enough of a target since you can hide your colors under an exo suit. I've thought about making gang clothing be either headgear or exo suits, no jumpsuits to hide. 
- Gang themes. This was started and never finished like everything else. I wanted to have like a theme that each gang could have that comes with different types of thematic items and weapons they can buy. Like an Old West gang, Ninja Gang, Kung Fu Gang, Spaceman Gang, 30's Chicago Gang. Things like that. But I'd need a lot more sprites and more items.
I really dig the idea about personal and group points.

Would those group points be something for the gang to develop - like buffs, abilities or items?
For example - group points:
-Either buy a weapon for everyone
-Get a buff in your owned turf
-Give every gang member a new ability (building their own type of gang on the go)

Abilities like giving everyone a strong kick, similar to the wrestling belt - or throwing out shurikens in front of yourself like a Ninja; but as an ability. Stuff like that - to expand on themes?

---

Anyway; just a small request.
Could we get the clown suit and mask as a gang suit ... or at least some kind of variant; like gold-colored? It always bothered me that we had no clown gang.
I like Gangs as it is and haven't had issues with it. It could do with tweaks but I dont think it'd warrant removal. I would like to see how merging it with Revs would look like though
Revs is your 20 minute fun-house and careful-play-mode as Heads.

Gangs is your chaos is boiling at an increasing rate.

---

I am highly against a merge. For what it is worth both present quite different experiences; even if some folks like to see them combined? Nay.
That's Revs at its best yes. If someone goes to hide it's 40-60 minutes of which everything past 20mins is terrible, sadly.

Repeating myself from the other thread, but I feel like the banal end of gang round can work nicely as an opposite of Rev/Blob/Nukies in the sense that you know you can just do your job for the next hour or so without much repercussion. That seems to me like it's a valuable enough niche.

That said, there doesn't look like there's a meaningful way for anti-antag crew to counter a gang. Even most security just doesn't bother because 2/3 gangers can outmob a secoff most of the time. On the whole gangs don't really face any repercussions from being shits.

A few thoughts:
-How are you going to score station damaging? (I'm guessing with considerable trial and error, but)
-What about gangs losing entirely (+ gibbing) if they lose too many points? The TTV-bombing happy gangs wouldn't last long, and it might actually gangs to attack one anothers' base if they can eliminate a rival doing so.
-Turf system a sounds like the better idea of the two, but you do run the risk of peeps using weird area placement to put tags outside of the proper rooms.  (I think you can put tags under all the APCs in cog1's medbay maint and "capture" all but pathology for example)

-Drug points as they are now are maybe bad. Making meth or growing weed for 40 minutes isn't exactly being an antag; It's being a chemist/botanist that's rude about hogging the equipment. I feel like dropoffs (of gangs-specific drugs or precursors) that gangs can fight over would be a more direct reason for conflict.
-I'm not sure if this works anymore, but I used to see gang round where some of the gangs hide their tags under tables and other things so you have to right-click every table to find the fucking things. Maybe the gang overlay should highlight where tags are.
-You could consider only giving uniform buffs if the exosuit doesn't cover (most of) the jumpsuit. I think we have the COVERS flags in code?
Keep and improve gang. Rev was removed for a long time. Let some imperfect modes have time to get sorted out.
Gang surely has it's imperfections - but personally I had some great experiences with several small groups of folks really sticking together and working on small goals.
Revs is a way bigger picture - just figure the latest Rev rounds on Donut 3; 40-65 minutes. Shit is crazy. Seen some people build up a small shop for Revs next to QM.
People really had a cool attitude about things.

Meanwhile - gangs gives a similar but different experience to communicate and work with others towards some goal that is not as extreme as Nukies.
Gangs really gives you a small group of hardmode Traitors with a bit of added UMPH - (locker items and outfit buffs) - to work towards some whacky stuff or go ham.

Sometimes you fight some gangs - at other times you peace out with them and plot against Security. Surely one of the more action heavy rounds; if some great maniacs are in the round - but not a bad thing.
I'd really like to see some changes - like that the outfit is also replaced once getting the gear from the locker; and not just the hat - since many new players do not realize that there is a buff granted by the full outfit - or do not yet know about pressing 'v' to fast-switch. Sometimes people join you later in the round and you are in the middle of something. It be way easier and a quality of life improvement to see gang members that clicked on GET GEAR to be dressed up in the whole garnment; to jump straight into action. smile

---

Gangs is not a bad mode; just a rough diamond I really adore.
I had only fun in it. I dont want it gone.
I feel like gang mode creates too many antags with, as far as I know, no restraints. Just today there was a gang round where I just mangaged to get to escape, and every floortile inside and partially outside the escape wing was made out of cerenkite. I remember there being a rule about keeping civilian casualties to a minimum, but it was removed.

Also, please remove or improve the shoving a flyer into peoples faces. The last 2 or 3 times I accidently joined a gang was by hitting space or enter while typing a message.
Give it a second confirmation, take away the keyboard focus from the popup, idk.
Cerenkite floors also happen when just one Traitor is there. So - that is nothing too bad IMO.
While I do like the gang gamemode, I absolutely hate the fact that the buttons on gang flyers are for some reason reversed from all the other buttons in the game?
The yes and no seem to be switched from all the other popups, so I keep accidentally pressing the wrong one.
Is this due to the way it had to be implemented to make 'No' the default option? If so, please find some other way. >.<
Gang is fun but only situationally imo
also gang names are one of the best things about the round
"ULTIMATE CRACK-SMOKING WARLOCKS"
VS
"TUNNEL SNAKES"
what if area capturing was like splatoon
(09-19-2020, 02:35 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: Tagging - This has been a big issue. One of the main objectives of gangs is to control turfs. I tried to facilitate that with giving points for controlling turfs, and that has lead to gangs capturing turfs, but it still lacks one of the fundamental things that this feature is suppose to have. That the turfs you capture are yours and that you should know it. Right now, it's very hard to tell if you are standing on a turf you own or don't unless you can see the tag on a single tile of a possibly very large area. 

(09-23-2020, 04:54 PM)ZeWaka Wrote: what if area capturing was like splatoon

I had an idea along these lines that might work. What if whenever you captured an area, it changed the colour of all the station lights in that area to a colour associated with your gang. (Picked at roundstart, associated with a gang outfit, etc.)
Lights can burst and lights can be changed.