Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mentors could use the "whois" command on Discord
EDIT: Pali (I think) updated the system to show us people's jobs when they use Mentorhelp. My initial suggestion below is no longer needed.

We spend an not insignificant portion of mentorhelps trying to figure out what job or role someone is playing, it would be very helpful if we could quickly determine someone's job so we could better assist them.

I believe any concerns about abuse of this command wouldn't be warranted, as the command would only be able to be used in the Mentor channel on Discord, where every mentor and admin can see it. Perhaps if there's still concerns, a modified version of the command that doesn't reveal antagonist status could be considered.
I dont use discord but this is probably a good idea
I've been asking for this as well in the Mentors channel.

Also, I made a poll-thread a while back about it... https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=14629
yea having someone whos new ask "what role am i" and having to guide em through everything to figure it out would be a lot easier like this
+1 on this. There's no harm with someone on discord assisting antagonists, if there is, I'd like to hear it. 

It's literally a two step process otherwise. 

Bad guy "Help, X"
Mentor "Ok, what u"
Bad guy "ling"

I mean, even as a mentor who'd be rolling HoS, I'd get questions coming up on my feed from a players who would tell all. 
"I am traitor RD, what does the telegun do", I just never act IC with that info because it's implicitly metagaming. 

So having someone on discord who is far removed from the round itself, while having the benefit of oversight just doesn't seem like thing that can be abused. And for the most part mentors aren't abusing things anyway, from my perspective. Well, apart from the time I'd get drunk and mentormouse to fart in people's pockets, but I'm still helping!
I personally don't like this idea much. What follows is my personal opinion, not necessarily representative of the whole team:

The whois command does a lot more than just tell you what role a person is. It lets you search for a list of names by role, names by fractional name, ckeys, etc. It's a lot of info that mentors just don't need for their day to day.

for example, you could do .whois traitor and see a list of all traitors in the round.

While we do trust mentors not to metagame with information, it can be hard not to do it a little bit, and having a full list pop out in the channel on the reg seems like a bad idea to me.
How about we skip the need to call the command manually and have mhelps show the job of the person mhelping in Discord?

Like this:
[Image: KfKTOk7.png]
(09-19-2020, 10:24 AM)pali6 Wrote: How about we skip the need to call the command manually and have mhelps show the job of the person mhelping in Discord?

That seems like a much better idea than mine.
Pali for people who dont use discord is it possible to have that show up ingame as well?
For dead mentors sure. For alive mentors we don't even show in-game name currently (only ckey).
Didn't even know there was a difference between dead and alive mentorhelp
Adding if they have any status would still help skip "but only if/when you're an antag" warnings. But yeah, rule in message would be great