Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why so much ERP in SS13?
I am not that I'm against it. I just that I found that a lot of servers have some ERP elements, more then in any other online community I have been part of. Some of the biggest servers are mainly for furry/scaly RP.

whats the deal with that? Is there a history behind that? just seems buffing.
I mean, we don't allow ERP here, so you're prolly not gonna get many first hand accounts on our forums.

Why not go over there and ask them? lol
ok i post a spiel in discord every time this comes up.
so i guess the first thing is that most erp servers tend to attract communities that arent entirely from just ss13.
like ss13 is pretty unique in that its very text based for interaction, but not everything is text based.
theres really solid mechanical systems for stuff like eating, drinking, holding stuff, fighting, healing and moving from place to place.
those kinds of things tend to be reaaaally draining and repetitive for text based rp, so if you know about ss13 its a surprisingly attractive game to play for rp.

i guess the second thing is that a sizable amount of rp on the internet seems to be horny rp. idk why but its something consenting adults choose to do so who really cares, especially since these places label themselves pretty clearly as 18+ to keep underaged people out. so you dont even have to be exposed to it if you dont want to.

so if you mix those two you get a compelling game with good mechanics that take off some of the burdens of rp, and a bunch of people who just wanna act out their characters e-boning.

also (relatively) niche communities like furries and scalies and stuff tend to be tight knit (or have tight knit subgroups), so people will let members of that community know about this exciting new place for them to rp/erp.
One can hazard a guess.

It's primarily down to the nature of the game. There isn't other RP games much like SS13 which gives you the freedom to choose how you can act, outside of online DnD session. Well, I mean, you can ERP at an IRL DnD session if you want to make the dungeonmaster extremely uncomfortable/ furious, heh, I've read some horror stories on Reddit. Just remember to lock eyes with them when you do it.

The issue with ERP outside the degeneracy of it is that this "freedom of choice" is a facade when it comes to other servers, because this freedom often is at the behest of cliques and moderators. And one might enjoy that, should you be of that state of mind. But if you aren't, then it can be obscenely oppressive.

But really, we're not here to piss on other servers. As Urs says, you can ask them for their perspective, although I would get the feeling that by simply asking they make take it as you challenging the status quo.
Listen, sometimes folk just wanna hold hands
(09-15-2020, 02:39 PM)makkipakki Wrote: Listen, sometimes folk just wanna hold hands

:shelterfrog: *scream*
People like ERP in basically any MUD or similar platform.
If there is RP there is ERP. It always happens.
(09-15-2020, 11:13 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: I mean, we don't allow ERP here, so you're prolly not gonna get many first hand accounts on our forums.

Why not go over there and ask them? lol

im too afraid x:

haha jk. I just scrolled past some discussions in this forum and liked the way people talk here. I asked this here because I wanted to hear YOUR take on that.

(09-15-2020, 01:09 PM)Adhara In Space Wrote: ok i post a spiel in discord every time this comes up.
so i guess the first thing is that most erp servers tend to attract communities that arent entirely from just ss13.
like ss13 is pretty unique in that its very text based for interaction, but not everything is text based.
theres really solid mechanical systems for stuff like eating, drinking, holding stuff, fighting, healing and moving from place to place.
those kinds of things tend to be reaaaally draining and repetitive for text based rp, so if you know about ss13 its a surprisingly attractive game to play for rp.

i guess the second thing is that a sizable amount of rp on the internet seems to be horny rp. idk why but its something consenting adults choose to do so who really cares, especially since these places label themselves pretty clearly as 18+ to keep underaged people out. so you dont even have to be exposed to it if you dont want to.

so if you mix those two you get a compelling game with good mechanics that take off some of the burdens of rp, and a bunch of people who just wanna act out their characters e-boning.

also (relatively) niche communities like furries and scalies and stuff tend to be tight knit (or have tight knit subgroups), so people will let members of that community know about this exciting new place for them to rp/erp.

Interesting and surprisingly deep take. I like this comment!

(09-15-2020, 02:39 PM)makkipakki Wrote: Listen, sometimes folk just wanna hold hands

oooh wholesome <3
I think it would surprise some to hear that there are active goon players who do also frequent the ERP servers, but I would hope it wouldn't come as a surprise.

Truth is there's going to be some sort of expression of this kinda stuff just about any where you go on the internet, because there are a lot of people who find the internet a good medium for expression, and personally I have no issues with it so long as it stays as a consent basis and is clearly made out to be of that nature.

I do know of some past opinions through goon however that considered any sort of ERP, and especially the furry/scalie based ERP servers, to be just completely obscene and uhhh... not good? (I'm like extremely tired so words no work well as of writing) But this kind of attitude does kind of exist still in the deepest bowels of goon, whether it should or not, and the general societal view of it being frowned upon can definitely still be seen here today in any sort of attempts to further develop current mutantraces or add new ones in.

I think the biggest issue with hosting ERP servers through ss13 is that a large amount of the player base is highly toxic and very un-accepting, as well as some of the people who have or do currently administrate these servers aren't always good fits to moderate them, so you kind of end up in a weird combination that drives people away from the server or that drives the server away from what perhaps the original goal was.

Now I don't mind those servers myself, and some of them have had interesting or unique features outside of the ERP mechanics, but I wouldn't want Goon to have any sort of level of ERP, and I would imagine most players here don't either, as well as the current admin team would probably not allow it in any fashion.

All of this said, as Urs said it's best to ask the direct source as to why, because you're more likely to get the most direct and non-diluted answer that way, and probably without any sort of server or view bias that you would get by asking, for example, here or on tg.
I haven't managed to witness erp in ~10 years of playing and am of the opinion that one has to be deliberately looking out for it, at which point it's on them.

There's mention of there being highly populated "furry/scaly RP." servers. The theme isn't inherently sexual and I'm fairly certain most of them have strict no sexual content rules.

There's a lot of confirmation bias and the fact that this being a fairly malleable game/platform allows for a lot of different concepts to be created, so looking hard enough lets you find many things, which aren't necessarily as widespread as it may seem.
I imagine it's because of the presence of robes and wizard hats to put on.
(09-16-2020, 03:09 AM)Mouse Wrote: I imagine it's because of the presence of robes and wizard hats to put on.

And more importantly, take off
(09-17-2020, 08:38 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(09-16-2020, 03:09 AM)Mouse Wrote: I imagine it's because of the presence of robes and wizard hats to put on.

And more importantly, take off

Can't arse nath your cluwne without your robe and hat.