HoS application - adharainspace
Usual character name: Porter Starboard
BYOND username: adharainspace
Discord username (if you are on our discord): adhara#4566
Recommended by (if applicable): makkipakki, leeanei, Rodney
Goon servers you play: 1,3,4

Reason for application:
i started playing security a lot because of how gross and stressful rounds were getting with very few experienced / good security players. not to throw shade at people for being bad security or anything but it really takes away from a round when sec are being jerks. and even as a “good” security officer, i have a limited effect on the other people on my team because im an equal rank to them, you know? ive been in situations where ive been outnumbered by new people who have very nearly taken away all my equipment and brigged me because i tell them stuff like “hey lets not execute the guy whos crime was hypo-ing like 3 people with 5u of neuro” (took the captain talking them down to save my ass). its just exhausting, but i know that as hos (ive played a few hos friday rounds) that im able to have more control over my team and help them listen to me and stay coordinated and not be “shitsec”. (unless theyre reaaaaally obstinate about not listening to me, then theres kinda no saving em.)

Security experience (300 word minimum):
i used to play a lot of sec, back in 2017 or so. but i was a lot different of a person then and my sec style was super jerkish. and that made me feel bad because i really wasnt able to do it right, so eventually i just stopped playing sec.... until recently. i got fed up of the aforementioned flood of inexperienced / bad security officers and decided to try to do something about it. originally i was kinda bad and super nervous about actually sentencing people. but over the past month or so i think ive really gotten comfortable being a security officer. ive had my fair share of bad rounds and bad calls before (a certain hos friday round where i wasnt paying attention to the radio and decided that somebody who made a bomb threat was "just fine" and "probably bluffing" and should be let go after a 3 minute brig sentence… and then he set off 4 maxcap canbombs like 2 minutes later oops.) and i dont think i handle everything well. i still get super overwhelmed when theres a lot going on, like a recent round when there was an abom ling in sec and i couldnt coordinate my team to not all bunch up and freak out, so there ended up being some bad calls like someone opening up the main doors and letting the ling loose or throwing the crowd control grenade and disabling like half of the officers during the fight.

but i honestly believe that those are just bad rounds, because ive had a lot more good rounds where ive done a good job being a part of the team. especially when it comes to the small scale stuff, like being a relatively nice security officer who tries to talk out small crimes and not just brig people right away. i think its nice and helps make people feel better about security as a whole on rounds where im on, because i try to get other security officers to be a bit more chill and less “fly off the handle like a double emagged beepsky”. i just think that its super important to not be a super scary authoritarian figure as sec right now, because that just makes people not wanna work with or cooperate with security more. 

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    • ok advice one is the bog standard one. please please pleaaaase communicate with your team! let em know who youre arresting, who youve seen committing crimes, when youre leaving on patrool or taking a break to swab the deck. It makes keeping track of where everyone is and staying informed about who has done what and who has patterns of bad behaviour so much easier. 
    • advice two is one i feel is personally very important. even if a round is boring, please dont be a jerk about small crimes. It really helps the overall mood and willingness of the crew to cooperate if you make sure that people know you wont freak out on em for minor stuff. people are less likely to run away if they know youre only gonna ticket em or chew em out instead of batoning them 4x and throwing them into solitary for 2mins. just talk to people and let them know what youre planning on doing, and itll make people trust you more. 
    • advice three is get creative with your punishments! one of my favourites is making two people who are brawling sit down and talk with me / eachother to figure things out. doesnt usually end in a brig sentence, maaaybe a ticket for one of the parties. But its a way to “waste” their time and have some sort of consequence to fighting with eachother WITH constructive results (hopefully theyll be less likely to jump at eachothers throats again, even if its only bc they dont want me to waste time again haha). but you can do anything, really. let people out on parole but make em swab the halls, or make em fight monkeys for the chef to cook, or something. mix it up a bit, try to make it fun for the prisoner too. 
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
    • i guess a big one is that on a full security team, im a lot more communicative. i tend to say things like “hey whos responding to that call” to make sure we dont have 4 secoffs responding to one breakin or something. or i make sure to keep people informed on who i see doing suspicious stuff / who im ticketing for minor crimes because a secoff is manning the sec records, and they can make notes of that in the computers. another thing is that if im a solo secoff, ill take the standard loadout, but if im not ill take the support loadout. those support tools are super good if you have other people who can take down targets at a range, but its kinda a brutal nerf if youre solo. also on a team im more likely to do non sec things, like basic repairs or doctoring or janitoring, because i can spare the mental bandwith because other people are helping out. and im not like, endangering the station by cleaning up the bar or something. 
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
            hey there is a blob
            rush it with my baton out
            oops i fucking died
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    • ive always wanted to do something when someone asks for a trial and i organise one, but i act as the judge, prosecution and defense. i think itd be funny to like, do different voices and try to convince the jury (crew) to come to any reasonable conclusion. and also itd hopefully still be fun for the criminal to rp too
  • Draw a picture!
            [Image: 47VWpqy.png]
wow that looks official....

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
was banned from discord and the game a few years ago for posting some things that I’m not proud of. (let me know if i need to go into more detail by yelling at me please, otherwise ill leave it vague because its embarassing.)
I was shocked to see this application, because I've been assuming you were whitelisted this whole time. +1 from me.
Adhara has always been a good person and she's been great in security.

+1
Absolutely yes x1000

Porter Starboard is a a very fun but compassionate security officer, preferring de-escalation and caution over just blasting down people, and tries to keep the security team reigned in if things start getting out of control. Adhara is also an incredible and understanding person!

I have no doubt that Adhara would do good with the beret.
100% support. Top nerd, ~very~ lovely and has been an absolute asset to Sec - the more leverage they can bring to bear, the better!
I don't know anything about security and yet I'd trust Adhara to protect the station and rein in rabid security officers just with her bare fists. Also cute picture you drew.
Oh good now I get to post my REAL opinion

[Image: 195a792d10.png]

I've been pushing Adhara to apply ever since I got to finally start playing Sec with her. She's genuinely a great person to have on the team and I wish I were half as fun and memorable to play with as she is. No matter what shift she always tries her damnedest to be empathetic with the crew and antags, and I'm always laughing to the point of dying at some of the zany things I end up roped into while she's around. Super fair with sentencing, and excellent with escalation to the point where she usually makes me look bad. Frankly she shoulda applied way earlier than this but better late than never!

+1 and I'm gonna post this to embarrass her because she included it in her app

[Image: 6a125f0928.png]
I don't play Sec myself, but I've seen adhara play quite a bit of Sec recently and she was always real nice to me, even when I was being a little shit. Knowing her I really doubt she'd abuse the position.
She also often tries to stop fights from starting or tries to deescalate them, so I think she'd probably be great at keeping the sec officers in line!
I'll just say what I already said over discord again because I'm lazy: if I see a particular secoff join and I sigh of relief, that means this person is a good HoS candidate, and this is what happens when I see Porter joining
+1
I've played with adhara a few times as sec and they are a reliable and great officer to be in the team. They are a good choice to be a HoS in my book!
+1
Adhara has a really great particular strength as a HoS: defusing situations and getting everyone to just get along. She's a joy to play with as both a sec officer and a regular crew member. I know I can rely on her when things go crazy, but I can also rely on her to go crazy in the best way, and make a round the best kind of memorable.

Very very big +1 for a very very good Adhara. <3
Catahara needs beret. +1
Give this bean the berret, Ive played with them a few times as sec and they always are good, and know what and what not to care about, +1 from me
Baba ohara is very good everything person. Give them beret or give me death
yes give her the beret