Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Allow sec tokens to be bought from the vendor
You should be able to buy the security equipment token directly from the security equipment vendor.

How:
Walk up to security equipment vendor
Swipe ID like on a vending machine or trader
Purchase security token, maybe something like 5k per token?

Optionally: Maybe allow heads to purchase a token directly from the payroll budget

Why:
Right now if you want to obtain more security equipment without starting as sec you have to either loot the armory or go through QM. This change would allow more people easier access to gain security equipment without going through QM.

Gameplay Changes:
More options to acquire security equipment for the good guys or bad guys. If a captain wants to arm the crew to fight nuke ops he could simply get them to come to security and arm them directly instead of funneling everyone to QM.
QM would still be able to order crates of tokens
A PDA message would go out to the sec team saying "An equipment token was purchased in X". This would allow them to get a little bit of knowledge of someone gaining equipment if they're not supposed to.
I feel like this is backwards from the intent behind the vendor. it is not supposed to be easy to get more sec equipment
The whole point of the security vendor was to prevent it being easy to steal all the sec equipment and limit the amount of sec equipment in a round.
(09-15-2020, 04:45 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: I feel like this is backwards from the intent behind the vendor. it is not supposed to be easy to get more sec equipment

While I understand making sec equipment a little harder to get I feel the difficulty in gaining a token is a little too much right now. There's only two three options to gain more equipment right now, emag/packet into armory or QM. edit: and mechanics I suppose

With this suggestion you still have to gain the funds to buy a token, which would be a little more difficult now as you'd have to make the money or steal the budget (unless heads buying directly from budget is added). Then the secteam would get alerted equipment is being purchased, which buying from QM doesn't do.
(09-15-2020, 04:50 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: The whole point of the security vendor was to prevent it being easy to steal all the sec equipment and limit the amount of sec equipment in a round.

Hear me out: maybe the round should have some basic security gear to start? *because I have personally witnessed 40+ pop rounds with zero sec*
(09-15-2020, 04:51 PM)Drago156 Wrote:
(09-15-2020, 04:50 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: The whole point of the security vendor was to prevent it being easy to steal all the sec equipment and limit the amount of sec equipment in a round.

Hear me out: maybe the round should have some basic security gear to start? *because I have personally witnessed 40+ pop rounds with zero sec*

Qm can buy tokens.
(09-15-2020, 05:01 PM)vampirate Wrote:

Qm can buy tokens.

you still need a sec ID, explosives, packet nerdery, or EMAG to open it
(09-15-2020, 04:51 PM)Sord213 Wrote:
(09-15-2020, 04:45 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: I feel like this is backwards from the intent behind the vendor. it is not supposed to be easy to get more sec equipment

While I understand making sec equipment a little harder to get I feel the difficulty in gaining a token is a little too much right now. There's only two three options to gain more equipment right now, emag/packet into armory or QM. edit: and mechanics I suppose

With this suggestion you still have to gain the funds to buy a token, which would be a little more difficult now as you'd have to make the money or steal the budget (unless heads buying directly from budget is added). Then the secteam would get alerted equipment is being purchased, which buying from QM doesn't do.

Walking to QM - when you as an antag have stolen a security ID already and just ordering your gizmos will barely cause any trouble. QM already has money most of the time; so there is also no worry.

Not sure if my opinion might be skewed but as an antag it is really easy to just load yourself up with 103 - 180 Clocks; grenades, lots of phasers and a security token or a fucking dozen of em.

When playing Security you can also just follow your tools with your tool tracker - make sure wherever they are; who might have stolen them and so on.
Currently we have a pretty neat quality of life I reckon.
If you are lucky Mechanics have already built a teleporter system around the station and your trip to QM can be shortened down to one minute or less.

I do not believe it is difficult at all - nor has it anymore hard requirements; in fact you can get a lot more sec gear and other stuff right of the bat. Order some crates; then enjoy.

It is a different approach but not difficult. There is a potential to abuse it though so that you can have ridicolous amounts of gear: lethal and non-lethal.
(09-15-2020, 09:52 PM)GORE Wrote: Walking to QM - when you as an antag have stolen a security ID already and just ordering your gizmos will barely cause any trouble. QM already has money most of the time; so there is also no worry.

Not sure if my opinion might be skewed but as an antag it is really easy to just load yourself up with 103 - 180 Clocks; grenades, lots of phasers and a security token or a fucking dozen of em.

When playing Security you can also just follow your tools with your tool tracker - make sure wherever they are; who might have stolen them and so on.
Currently we have a pretty neat quality of life I reckon.
If you are lucky Mechanics have already built a teleporter system around the station and your trip to QM can be shortened down to one minute or less.

I do not believe it is difficult at all - nor has it anymore hard requirements; in fact you can get a lot more sec gear and other stuff right of the bat. Order some crates; then enjoy.

It is a different approach but not difficult. There is a potential to abuse it though so that you can have ridicolous amounts of gear: lethal and non-lethal.
That's a pretty easy method to, without any checks or really notifications aside from QMs getting a message they ordered stuff, order a bunch of security gear. Why not add in a method with the same/more preparations that alerts security?

With a change like this you could still stroll down to QM and buy 20 crates with clocks and tokens. Or if you're a security officer who had their entire belt stolen and their tracker with it you could go to the HoP, ask for a transfer of X credits to your account, purchase a token through the vendor and let everyone know you bought the security token.

If someone right now wanted to flood the station with security gear they would have to transfer the entire payroll, or use some other means to obtain a bunch of credits, and order tons of crates, then redeem the tokens.

I just feel this isn't making security equipment super easy to buy. In fact, it's slightly more difficult for even a secoff to obtain the funds to purchase a token. It just adds a secondary way for people to buy the gear.
My initial concept that would tie this altogether would be a Security QM computer (replacing the QM computer in security such as the one in Cog 1+2, or adding it depending on map)

The security QM computer would have a security budget, where fines could be fed into. The budget would always be small at round start. 

It requires the special sec IDs (the spawned ones) to use. An officer can add money to it, from his own payroll. Officers can also pool their money together through this. 

The prices of items for sec equipment would be heightened in QM but the prices would be lowered / remain the same on the Sec QM computer. 

This creates a system where your average sec can purchase stuff, while creating a barrier ($$$) for nonsec. It feeds into the "goons for hire" vibe where bribes and fines would actually matter for sec, effectively creating an economy in a similar manner to the rockbox/PTL system. 

I still believe this is a decent idea, but I'd imagine it might be a bit messy to implement. Still, one can dream.
I dig Sundances idea. Yeah - that be neat. Finally fines would be worth something; and as a QM I could no longer order 80 clocks and flood my inventory with them so easily.
Welp - QM still got infinite money; not like they care.

That 12K should probably rather be 50K or more. Ô_o
I also like that idea.

Lots of opportunities for corruption with fines or bribes to buy gear, maybe even a black market for Sec since they could buy cheaper and undercut QM for personal profit
(09-15-2020, 05:01 PM)vampirate Wrote:

Qm can buy tokens.

Or HoP, All Access, or Captain.
If you ask me I think it should be even harder to get tokens. We don't want even more batons and tasers in a round. Also Mechanics can still mass produce them.
Do you want someone like me with around 20x clock 180s in a round? I doubt so - and somehow I do not even want that myself - - - although the firing sound is just so satisfying.

Mechanics mass production feels fair; I would not change something about that - I am really more worried about the QM side of things.
7 out of 10 rounds QM will have INFINITE CASH - and price does not scale well to INFINITE.