Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Need feedback on chem dispenser tgui
Question 
[Image: QZWTYXt.png]
[Image: Pr2H6x0.png]
[Image: pK9Cefz.png][Image: X3Kk3Hw.png]
[Image: qXfrIq6.png]

I'm not sure on the icons for the states of matter solid/liquid/gas we can use any icons from here:
https://fontawesome.com/icons?d=gallery&m=free

The bar at the bottom is a visualization of the current contents of the vessel.

By default it's on most to least, density lists solid>liquid>gas, order added lists the order the reagents were added to the vessel.

Reagent groups still work the same using the same popup for inserting reagents then a name.
[Image: dbEB6mD.png]
[Image: HSxhnJS.png]
[Image: cYozsVE.png]
  • Why does the alcohol dispenser have every alcoholic drink in it? Or is that just you testing?
  • I can't think of anything we really use state of matter for, outside of some very specific interactions with some specific reagents, so feel like that's a lot of visual noise. I would look to maybe just use a solid circle with the reagent color?
  • You don't need to insert an ID to save groups - inserting an ID just means the groups get saved with that ID, so ejecting it hides them (i.e. you can create groups without inserting an ID). Basically, "Insert ID to Save Groups" is somewhat misleading.
  • I'd definitely look to make a way to create reagent groups without the current input popup. Why not just a "name" text box and "contents" text box underneath the existing reagent groups with a "Create" button next to it that, when pressed, adds the group as a new row and moves down?
(09-11-2020, 08:12 PM)Mordent Wrote:
  • Why does the alcohol dispenser have every alcoholic drink in it? Or is that just you testing?
  • I can't think of anything we really use state of matter for, outside of some very specific interactions with some specific reagents, so feel like that's a lot of visual noise. I would look to maybe just use a solid circle with the reagent color?
  • You don't need to insert an ID to save groups - inserting an ID just means the groups get saved with that ID, so ejecting it hides them (i.e. you can create groups without inserting an ID). Basically, "Insert ID to Save Groups" is somewhat misleading.
  • I'd definitely look to make a way to create reagent groups without the current input popup. Why not just a "name" text box and "contents" text box underneath the existing reagent groups with a "Create" button next to it that, when pressed, adds the group as a new row and moves down?

1. The alcohol dispenser is in the afterlife bar i was just showing it can display all the drinks without breaking the UI.
  2. I'll switch to using solid circles or squares or whatever icon looks best.
  3. I'll change it to say "Insert ID" instead.
  4. I'll look into implementing the box into the UI.
    Thanks for the feedback cool
Honestly, even if the state of the matter doesn't matter (haha) in most cases, I think it looks pretty neat to have it next to the thing.
I don't feel like it makes it harder to look at, so I would support leaving it in.

Also, on the concept of chemgroups:
It would be super sick if one could press a button to "start recording" and while it's on, whenever you click a chem it gets added to the current chemgroup in that amount instead of dispensing it. Would be much less of a hassle than having to type stuff out!
(09-11-2020, 08:12 PM)Mordent Wrote:

[Image: tYa1vWo.png]
Looks great, soda dispensers white buttons look a bit off though. Maybe make it a lighter blue of the regular chem dispenser buttons?
(09-11-2020, 11:29 PM)Carbadox Wrote: Looks great, soda dispensers white buttons look a bit off though. Maybe make it a lighter blue of the regular chem dispenser buttons?

I need to make it clearer the vessel is full or has no vessel inserted then

Edit:

[Image: rggwsUP.png]
[Image: LVBNPQI.png]
New indication when the vessel is full/not inserted
*Borg shuffling*

It would be nice to access these shiny changes as Borg by default frown (yes I'm a pain in the ass)
(09-12-2020, 04:47 AM)Tiggersaurus Wrote: *Borg shuffling*

It would be nice to access these shiny changes as Borg by default frown (yes I'm a pain in the ass)

That's not exactly in the scope of this project but someone could make a beaker transporter a bit like the atmospherics transporter but for beakers which would allow you to use the beaker in a chemical dispenser or drop them on the floor.
I really like the colorful icons on the buttons! Every time I use a chemdispenser, I always have trouble finding the button for the chem I want. Somehow it's hard to find a specific word in a table of words, partly cus my vision sucks and I have cluwne-level reading speed, so a more unique-looking identifier thing would really help!

Would be really useful on the standard chem dispenser for each of the reagent button icon things to be different colors. I know, most of the chems are the same color in-game, but it could be solved by adding a var to these uncolored chems that defines another color. I could even help with that~~
(09-11-2020, 09:52 PM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: Honestly, even if the state of the matter doesn't matter (haha) in most cases, I think it looks pretty neat to have it next to the thing.
I don't feel like it makes it harder to look at, so I would support leaving it in.

Also, on the concept of chemgroups:
It would be super sick if one could press a button to "start recording" and while it's on, whenever you click a chem it gets added to the current chemgroup in that amount instead of dispensing it. Would be much less of a hassle than having to type stuff out!

I agree, and that means if later they do have more purpose a system is already put into place.

I imagine would could also use it as a form of filter.
I like the states, even if it's just a flavor thing - the end result is quite pretty. Peoples eyes are drawn to colors and shapes more than just words alone.
(09-12-2020, 07:41 AM)Superlagg Wrote: I really like the colorful icons on the buttons! Every time I use a chemdispenser, I always have trouble finding the button for the chem I want. Somehow it's hard to find a specific word in a table of words, partly cus my vision sucks and I have cluwne-level reading speed, so a more unique-looking identifier thing would really help!

Would be really useful on the standard chem dispenser for each of the reagent button icon things to be different colors. I know, most of the chems are the same color in-game, but it could be solved by adding a var to these uncolored chems that defines another color. I could even help with that~~

I think the icons and there color should match the material, but the buttons background color could vary a bit from that standard blue or grey background?
(09-12-2020, 03:38 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 07:41 AM)Superlagg Wrote: I really like the colorful icons on the buttons! Every time I use a chemdispenser, I always have trouble finding the button for the chem I want. Somehow it's hard to find a specific word in a table of words, partly cus my vision sucks and I have cluwne-level reading speed, so a more unique-looking identifier thing would really help!

I think the icons and there color should match the material, but the buttons background color could vary a bit from that standard blue or grey background?

[Image: Ta0yPTC.png]
trying some department specific themes
I'm with Mordent about the states of matter icons, though I disagree with his reasoning that they shouldn't be on there because it's visual clutter. I think they actually look nice and aren't too noisy, but I think it might be confusing to depict something that's doesn't matter that much--the states thing is primarily used for examine text when examining a container of chems and somewhat with fluids. Might lead a new chemist to think that maybe fluorine interact with atmos or iron can't be a fluid. Mind you, it's a harmless mistake at least (compare say "I thought napalm was harmless").

Anyways, I think the purple color scheme looks pretty dandy, and I really like the new chem Group input.