Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
[MERGED PR] Mobs entering chutes: Adds actionbar and animation
Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR
Mobs entering chutes through either click-drag, or grab-click will start an action bar and associated animation for being shoved into the chute. Icon of the action bar is dynamic to the type(color) of the chute being entered, and whether the person is entering voluntarily or not.
I've tried to maintain the delay to be the same half-second pre-PR. Not sure if actionbars come with some initial overhead, so I've set the delay to 0.4 seconds.

Actionbar icon sprites by BatElite.

Why's this needed?
**Players instantaneously disappearing from existence while clambering into a chute is dumb.**
Almost all of our mob movement and removal has visual (and *often* audio) feedback:
- Lockers have the opening and closing of their door
- MechComp has swirls
- Telepad has swirls and residue
- Telering has sparks at destination
- Telering handheld portal animates on entry

As silly as it is to hop into a chute while cuffed and pulled by sec, it's bad to have no player-feedback.

Also @UrsulaMejor told me to.

[Image: 92894466-78e0ce00-f3cf-11ea-96dd-1b0ba778cbff.gif]
(This gif is slower than actual-changes)

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)MarkNstein
(*)Entering chutes now has an animation and action bar. Chute-entry has been made faster.

[QoL][FEEDBACK][BALANCE]

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Love the sprites, yes for more feedback, yes for non instantaneous chute-drag . Not sure about the 0.4 delay, might suggest lowering it to 0.3 or even 0.2. Chute-drag is a legit combat tactic and this might mess with it a little too much, but I'm open to be corrected.
There is already a 0.5s delay on entering chutes, sundance.

Some peeps expressed concerns that this action bar would be interruptible by punching or whatever. Does this action bar maintain the uninterruptible nature of the OG code?
(09-11-2020, 06:39 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: There is already a 0.5s delay on entering chutes, sundance.

Welp, I have been corrected.
(09-11-2020, 06:52 AM)Sundance Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 06:39 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: There is already a 0.5s delay on entering chutes, sundance.

Welp, I have been corrected.

don't worry about it, I didn't consciously know about it either until last night, lol. I just always thought I was lagging.

Hence why I bullied mark into making this pr. visual feedback that something is time delayed is good, imo.
Man people trying to take away my chute based escape routes. Its already hard enough to slip into a chute and press the button and then wait and HOPE the person chasing you doesnt come up and hit the eject button.
I still think this should be limited to people wearing secHUD. There's a good use for it for them, but for people injured and escaping an antag in a very 2d enviroment where your enemy has 360 vision, the chute is one of the few ways you might make a surprise escape. I feel like a ton of us have probably had some amazing feeling moments where we escaped just barely thanks to it.

I think letting everyone have this is going to be a subtle tip away from fun that is gonna kill the potential for those moments.
Was a bit concerned this was going to be a long delay when I read the title, but this seems alright!
If some people want, we can reduce it a bit further.

If it's just about feedback, why even have the bar at all, we could just take the animation while keeping old chute behavior too.
I'm not a fighting person, so I'm just throwing things out there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Being shoved in by someone else should definitely have feedback.

I would like to see during delay a characters sprite actually move over the trash can before disappearing.

I think the icon for climbing into one yourself could also be only visible to the person performing it
I really think the icon sliding over the disposal would make it more clear to newer folks what just happened, I actually could've sworn it was a thing.
I'm in Frank Stein's boat; I think an animation of the person moving onto the chute, similar to the animation of someone moving onto a crate, would be good, however brief. I suppose shoving yourself into a chute only showing the icon to you would be a fair compromise to people who want chute-escapes to be stealthy, but I think it's kinda moot given it still has the "climbs into the chute" message.
I think the animation should be visible to everyone. It doesn't make sense that it would be stealthy - a person jumping into a trash can is pretty noticeable, generally.
This is "hot" again (as far as I care).

What're your thoughts on:
  • Remove all interruptability from the action; thematically treat it as someone making a strong leap-and-tuck into the chute - pretty hard to stop someone's midair motion.
  • Keep the animation starting as soon as the click-drag is done.
  • Shorten the animation to 0.2 seconds. My original PR gifs were set to the old delay duration of 0.5 seconds.
  • Open the chute UI once the animation ends. (Same as current behavior)
Getting in a trash can should go fast. You're usually diving into one to hide or to flush yourself, so getting in quick feels right
Opening the UI automatically is a nice helpful feature.

It would be nice to have difference between tossing someone into a trash chute (Aggressive Grab-Throw) and loading them in (Click-dragging) with one being fast and loud and the other being slow and quiet
The animation should be slide on to it and then shrink. I don't like the shrink in motion.