Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Identity doctoring - Plastic Surgery
Premise:
There are three widely occuring methods of having your identity obscured:

1. Acid Burns - whether it be an chem happy scientist or a less lovable alien lifeform turning you into an "Unknown"
2. Failed cloning - giving you the prefix "Sorta", "Almost", "Kinda", i.e: "Kinda Sundance Feely"
3. Stable Mutagen - Giving you the identity of someone else, however AFAIK your blood DNA remains the same.

There's probably another obscure one i'm missing (Rotting?), but i'll continue.

The issue with all of these is that they are untreatable. But this is science fiction, we can staple arms back onto people without any residual scar tissue or nerve damage, so why can't this be fixed?

Proposal: 
Plastic surgery. With this change you can now get your old identity back with surgical tools. That's it, no need for fancy additions. There are a few caveats, but we'll cover that after the method.

Method:
Using the Help Intent while targeting the Head, use the following method:
[Image: Scalpel.png] (Uses the same message as normal)
[Image: Surgical_Scissors.png] ("NAME starts to slice away at the excess tissue")
[Image: Scalpel.png] ("NAME begins to carefully reconfigure TARGET's face with the scalpel")*

*The final step will create a 10 second Action Bar.

Successful surgery will restore your old identity. 

Caveats:
1. Self Surgery has a notably high failure rate for this kind of surgery, so opt for a doc to do it for you if possible. 
2. Being interrupted during the action bar sequence will half restore the identity, adding a "Kinda, Sorta, etc" prefix on the target. This will always occur with self surgery. This doesn't really matter for failed clones, so just start the process again.
3. While this will remove the prefix for failed clones, this won't fix their reduced HP cap, the vomiting of blood, etc. Sorry folks, i'm a plastic surgeon not a miracle worker!

Further musings:
While the premise of this thread is mainly to offer an idea for a treatment, there could be further things to do if a coder is willing. Example would be to replace the final step with a Saw instead of a scalpel, removing the targets face entirely. Whether that be a barbaric punishment or if you want to RP as Death In The Family Joker, that's up for debate. Really though, I'd much prefer for actual medical treatment to be looked at first.
Can we swap faces?

Or perhaps attach faces to balloons?

[Image: DeadSnoopyGrayreefshark-small.gif]
Ideas: you can remove faces, and make new faces for a person which changes their identity. so when you begin the plastic surgery, the patient can select a new name if they want.
and you can just straight-up take off the face and wear it as a mask.
these are my ideas.
Yes, this type of surgery would open up the end for removing faces, see:

Quote:Example would be to replace the final step with a Saw instead of a scalpel, removing the targets face entirely

I would imagine then the face would be treated similarly to any body part in that when it is removed, it becomes an object that is same pigment of the owner.

It would however require both

A) a removed face mask sprite, greyscaled (whitescaled? w/e) coloring that coders then can use to apply pigment of skin.
B) a mob sprite of someone without a face. Yes, horrifying.

Removing your face would be akin to getting your face melted, appearing as an Unknown.
You could wear it as a mask, or you could attach it to someones face and use a staplegun/surgical thread to become that person á la Face/Off. Again, this could have a high failure rate if self surgery... really plastic surgery whether it be malevolent or benevolent should require some form of accomplice for balance purposes.

I'm not feeling your rename suggestion Flap. That seems far too easy to permanently change your identity.

I want to be clear that from the OP that there's genuine uses for face surgery. It's something that's been a major pet peeve of mine that we can't fix facial damage. But as with all things SS13, there's room for... bad stuff too.

It's getting near Spooktober and face wearing might be my contribution, it's unsettling and spooky. I'mma work on spriting this, see what I get up to.
(09-22-2020, 12:33 PM)Sundance Wrote: Yes, this type of surgery would open up the end for removing faces, see:

Quote:Example would be to replace the final step with a Saw instead of a scalpel, removing the targets face entirely

I would imagine then the face would be treated similarly to any body part in that when it is removed, it becomes an object that is same pigment of the owner.

It would however require both

A) a removed face mask sprite, greyscaled (whitescaled? w/e) coloring that coders then can use to apply pigment of skin.
B) a mob sprite of someone without a face. Yes, horrifying.

Removing your face would be akin to getting your face melted, appearing as an Unknown.
You could wear it as a mask, or you could attach it to someones face and use a staplegun/surgical thread to become that person á la Face/Off. Again, this could have a high failure rate if self surgery... really plastic surgery whether it be malevolent or benevolent should require some form of accomplice for balance purposes.

I'm not feeling your rename suggestion Flap. That seems far too easy to permanently change your identity.

I want to be clear that from the OP that there's genuine uses for face surgery. It's something that's been a major pet peeve of mine that we can't fix facial damage. But as with all things SS13, there's room for... bad stuff too.

It's getting near Spooktober and face wearing might be my contribution, it's unsettling and spooky. I'mma work on spriting this, see what I get up to.

Wouldn't a simpler fix just be to apply an effect similar to the way horns work? It's a little "mask" graphic of no face that appears when you're missing a face, or changes to match skin pigmentation?
You mean part A) or part B) ?

Part A) would require it to be the same pigmentation as the owner, so an ebony person wouldn't have a pale skinned face when removed. I recall this being a really frustrating bug for coders for yonks, but it got fixed, so this shouldn't be too much issue... hopefully.

Part B) I guess could work like horns in that it would be a "mask" graphic overlay, yeah. It'd still be applied to the mob - perhaps my wording was confusing. There'd be no need for pigmentation here, it's literally flesh and bone.

I forgot there'd also be a third sprite clothing sprite of someone wearing the face (Part A) as a mask, which would look distinctly different than it being surgically attached. Think droopy and unsettling, like leatherface.
I do not like the ability to create a new identity with it.

Cutting someones face off and putting it on your own - fine; but not creating a new one out of thin air.
Why?
Because traitors got the DNA scrambler and actually have to pay for that.
If we get any face-surgery option to change your voice and face identity...then traitors would just self-operate and be done with it instantly.

Unless you handle it like the barber...where another player HAS to do it. But still; I opt against creating NEW identities.
Rather restore old ones, and replace yours with the face of someone else. That sounds fun.

Also - someone was working on some code stuff to take bodyparts of different genotypes and make them visually fit; I recommend reaching out to whoever was doing that, cause it is in the same line of nice improvements to operation stuff.

Anyway - wearing a face-mask would be great! I'd like to cut off the Mime's face and wear it proudly.
So you have the little face mask be red when the face is missing and turn color of the skin when applied.
yeah now that i think of it, it would be OP if you could get a new identity that easy.
but if this happens i can RP an insane man who wears a mask to hide the fact that he has no face.
also, would the surgery work on cows, hulks, roaches and lizards? i know it wouldnt work on skeletons.