Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Economy Rework Part 1: Wages and Vending Machines
I *really* like Technature's idea, though with some minor tweaks:

Money added to the payroll should be the expected amount of money paid by shift time 60 minutes. If a staffie joins a minute after roundstart, and gets that same pay, the budget will still increase by 1200c. If they join at 30 minutes, it'll increase by 600. 45 minutes in and it'll increase by only 300. 60 minutes+ means no bonus.

As a separate comment, sub-departments like Artsci, Toxins, and Pathology should all be able to produce money for the station. Here's a basic summary of what I've cumulatively brainstormed for a while now:

Each of the aforementioned departments should have a new console or machine or system integrated into existing machines that lets them fill out a form, very similar to how the Viscera Cleanup Detail post-cleanup form works - several fields that you can enter in pre-made responses to. The more correct fields you have, the better; the more incorrect fields you have, the more you are penalized; fields with no responses do not give or take anything.
When I say give or take anything, I mean earned credits. Each of these forms should be printed out and exported via Cargo with a bomb, an artifact, or a series of cures and vaccines. Here's how I think each could work:

Toxins - Simply make a bomb and export it. The form would have fields for you to fill in its gas tank info an estimate of its explosive power based on the VR tests you probably should have done.

Artsci - Export an *activated* artifact. You will be able to select the origin (what appearance it has basically), its activation method, and the sensor readings you get from doing experiments, as well as the type of artifact in the form - you would also fill in details based on the type of artifact. For example, while a lamp artifact wouldn't have any fields, an injector artifact would require you to list what reagents it injects, and a healing artifact would require you to list the types of damage it heals and how much.

Pathology - Take in disease samples from the CDC and create a randomly determined amount of cures and vaccines for it. The sample does not need to be exported, but the original crate or a piece of paper or w/e that came with the import needs to be exported with the final product. In the form you can list the type of pathogen, its appearance, its details such as mutation rate and spread rate and such, how many genes it has, its symptoms, and its suppressing agent.

Would give these departments genuine purpose to the station, and make actually doing these more fun - you'd have a reason to log all that data from experiments you do on an artifact, because each additional piece of data can earn you hundreds of more credits; you'd have a reason to actually use toxins; and pathology would actually see more popular use (once reworked and enabled).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Economy Rework Part 1: Wages and Vending Machines - by aft2001 - 09-08-2020, 11:10 AM