Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Door hacking Nerf
This is one of the best ideas I've ever seen. It's low change, and adds just enough variety to not punish but actually be more fun for everyone involved.
I really like the base idea, along with the idea of making different departments use different sets
I think door hacking could use some new UI

For instance, something similar to the instrument buttons, but colored differently for the wires.

I think we should be able to rewire things on top of the normal hacking. Use some wire and/or a soldering iron and manually rewire the door to change the wire designations.

Theoretically, you could have Multiple ID lists assigned to other wires. Designate a door to unlock for some, shock others, etc. Rewiring can let you manually create new links
Wires have been the same since... when? I think a rework could shake things up and be quite fun
Based on some of the stuff in the PR comments - I think that each door should have a static code, so once you've hacked it, as long as you kept the code, you can quickly get in again. I also like the idea of getting a higher/lower indicator. Make it hard to automate, but easy to replicate once you've hacked an individual door.
(09-03-2020, 05:55 PM)TheMaskedMan2 Wrote: I'd argue take the Security and Command door hacking to a deeper level and have them be harder to hack. Not exactly sure how to be honest, but i'd like if breaking into the bridge or sec was a little bit more complex. Maybe you have to have another tool to pull off a plate from it, or maybe shocking it will cause it to bolt automatically?

Yes definitely. Only 100 games of SS13 but it quickly became clear that people can cruise into head's rooms or command, having to go through two regular doors painted blue is no biggie.

(09-03-2020, 11:52 PM)pali6 Wrote: I wouldn't mind some kind of a door hacking nerf. One very minor change I was also thinking about would be that using a screwdriver on a door wouldn't be instant and would get an action bar. That'd make it more obvious and also interruptible.

Also a great suggestion.

Packet stuff is a separate issue and sounds like it already needs looking at, not that I know anything about it.
(09-04-2020, 12:04 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Ive had a bit to think about this and I think palis idea is the most fair because compare manual door hacking with packet nerd door hacking. I dont think making packet nerdery better than the manual way is a good idea. I do agree with a timer like almost everything else has now a days though.

I had a feeling this thread would be divisive. 

I need to point out that the recent PR would make packet nerd hacking a bit harder, so that is something to consider when comparing the two.

I also really disagree that this would make manual door hacking "harder" in any way. 
Again, this only randomizes the positioning, not the colors. In no way is that harder, it just requires you to learn the color(s) or simply learn one color - which wire controls the test light instead of brute forcing it via muscle memory. To compare that with packet nerdery which only a select few players bother to learn is a bit ... eh???? huhhh???

I don't have any disagreement with Pali's suggestion, but I wouldn't like adding an arbitrary timer to things to slow things down when a more engaging route could be taken, but i'm open to it.

That said, a middle-ground could be found here, where instead of the randomization, you have Pali's suggestion combined with making the bridge and security on seperate functions (i.e: point 2 on the OP).

TheMaskedMan2 Wrote: Wrote:I'd argue take the Security and Command door hacking to a deeper level and have them be harder to hack. Not exactly sure how to be honest, but i'd like if breaking into the bridge or sec was a little bit more complex. Maybe you have to have another tool to pull off a plate from it, or maybe shocking it will cause it to bolt automatically?

To be frank - I think Security and Command being on seperate wire functions is good enough as it requires players to learn the wire for those doors, which would be a rather slowing process in itself. It's outside the scope of this suggestion, but I suppose you could add an "alert" wire which PDA messages security / command if pulsed?
While we're messing with door hacking, can we add a small progress bar to opening up the door maintenance panel? Just a short 1-3 second progress bar so it's not instant along with an accompanying noise.

But I do like the idea of changing the wire order per door/door type.
I like the alert wire but is a PDA alert too strong? I suppose not considering the doors are covering high value areas.

I don't know if two types of door wiring is enough. You do one command door and you know the other wire. With how things work now you could probably randomise the wires in every secure door without it being too much of a chore, although it would be a lot more punishing for anyone who doesn't have insulated gloves.

Really is there anything wrong with random wires in every command door? You might have to go through a maximum of 2-3 to get where you want. Heads offices are usually 1 command door. If someone is breaking into the bridge or captains room do we mind if they have to fully wire 2-3 doors?
(09-07-2020, 08:05 PM)Sord213 Wrote: While we're messing with door hacking, can we add a small progress bar to opening up the door maintenance panel? Just a short 1-3 second progress bar so it's not instant along with an accompanying noise.

Is Pali's suggestion, previous page.

I need to be clear that if going down Pali's route, then I wouldn't like the random wire positioning in combination with that. My reasoning is that it'd be just far too much a change that I think players would hate it. So it'd be one or the other (but the Command / Sec thing could absolutely still be implemented).

Katzen Wrote:I like the alert wire but is a PDA alert too strong? I suppose not considering the doors are covering high value areas.

I don't know if two types of door wiring is enough. You do one command door and you know the other wire. With how things work now you could probably randomise the wires in every secure door without it being too much of a chore, although it would be a lot more punishing for anyone who doesn't have insulated gloves.

Really is there anything wrong with random wires in every command door? You might have to go through a maximum of 2-3 to get where you want. Heads offices are usually 1 command door. If someone is breaking into the bridge or captains room do we mind if they have to fully wire 2-3 doors?

PDA alert might be too strong, yes. Ideally, an alert wire would notify the hacker too, so perhaps instead of PDA alert, a "WEEWOO" siren pitch shifted so it's not mistaken for a segway could work instead.

Also the idea is it's not two types, it's three: Civilian, Command and Security.

Keep in mind that the meta is if you are without gloves, your try out on a shitty random door to figure out the test light. If command is on a seperate wire network, then that meta is out the window, so you'll be exposing yourself to getting caught or getting shocked.

... and I think that enough of a change currently to spice it up. I'd prefer to take baby steps when rebalancing something than to dive right in. If it goes well, then we could consider making command and/or security even stronger by making each door unique.
I'd still say three wires to remember is easy as pie unless I didn't have gloves.

Was going to suggest the alarm but the door crowbar noise is already quite loud and obvious and doesn't draw much attention. That might just be conditioning from it happening so often so perhaps a regular burglar alarm style noise could work. Maybe could drop bolts and electrify for 30 seconds.
(09-08-2020, 06:26 AM)Sundance Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 08:05 PM)Sord213 Wrote: While we're messing with door hacking, can we add a small progress bar to opening up the door maintenance panel? Just a short 1-3 second progress bar so it's not instant along with an accompanying noise.

Is Pali's suggestion, previous page.

I need to be clear that if going down Pali's route, then I wouldn't like the random wire positioning in combination with that. My reasoning is that it'd be just far too much a change that I think players would hate it. So it'd be one or the other (but the Command / Sec thing could absolutely still be implemented).

Katzen Wrote:I like the alert wire but is a PDA alert too strong? I suppose not considering the doors are covering high value areas.

PDA alert might be too strong, yes. Ideally, an alert wire would notify the hacker too, so perhaps instead of PDA alert, a "WEEWOO" siren pitch shifted so it's not mistaken for a segway could work instead.

Also the idea is it's not two types, it's three: Civilian, Command and Security.

Keep in mind that the meta is if you are without gloves, your try out on a shitty random door to figure out the test light. If command is on a seperate wire network, then that meta is out the window, so you'll be exposing yourself to getting caught or getting shocked.

... and I think that enough of a change currently to spice it up. I'd prefer to take baby steps when rebalancing something than to dive right in. If it goes well, then we could consider making command and/or security even stronger by making each door unique.

I really like the idea of a PDA alert, however i stand by the fact that packets like that pda one sent out should be able to be stopped before they reach the intended target. So when breaking into secure places (ie armory), then you should have another mindslave helper stoping the alerts from going out
As an avid door hacker I'd rather that command/sec be different randomized wires than get an action bar involved. The action bar may fix the "problem" but in a boring and not engaging way.

Having to remember the color rather than position would slow me a bit, but in a natural way. Not by a whole lot, I think, but it would be a nice small change. Honestly right now I often don't remember the color of the test wire at all, it's all "second from the top" or "bottom wire", at least if wire order was randomized I'd actually have find the correct wire rather than being able to pulse it almost without looking. Again, maybe it won't slow me down that much, but it would make door hacking more engaging and would slow me down somewhat.
I really like the idea of their being three tiers to door security. I think you could even have higher tiered doors have additional bad wires like the ones that set off sirens or alert Sec.

I would love also if there was less randomness to it. It would be nice if a person could make a reasonable deduction to which wires they should mess with if they take the time to study wire arrangement.

Maybe additional electricians tools, like a volt meter? Higher voltage in the wires gives you a hint at what part of the door it's powering, and which wires you should avoid, and which to cut/pulse
give the armory door a wire that firegibs you through gloves when pulsed or cut