Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Door hacking Nerf
(09-08-2020, 09:00 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: give the armory door a wire that firegibs you through gloves when pulsed or cut

I do like this concept (though I'd prefer just a simple 150-200 damage thermal shock) but keep in mind that if you make the armory doors too hard to hack people will *definitely* choose to break in through the walls. Hacking the armory door already tends to leave you more exposed to cameras or someone walking in on you whereas thermite keeps the the inside of security looking normal.

Unless your goal is to punish people who hack into the armory as a non-antag where the hacking alternatives are more obviously very criminal, influencing sec to do the right thing and be more punitive with their punishment.
(09-09-2020, 06:24 AM)phyvo Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 09:00 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: give the armory door a wire that firegibs you through gloves when pulsed or cut

I do like this concept (though I'd prefer just a simple 150-200 damage thermal shock) but keep in mind that if you make the armory doors too hard to hack people will *definitely* choose to break in through the walls. Hacking the armory door already tends to leave you more exposed to cameras or someone walking in on you whereas thermite keeps the the inside of security looking normal.

Unless your goal is to punish people who hack into the armory as a non-antag where the hacking alternatives are more obviously very criminal, influencing sec to do the right thing and be more punitive with their punishment.

Really we should increse the strength of the amormy because of how easy it is to get through Rwalls, but a shock wire would be cool, combined with a alert wire. I think that would beef up the door end of the section
Increasing armory protection is a bit out of the scope of this thread and will again make the point that we should take baby steps in terms of "nerfing" manual hacking, whereby we either

A) Randomize postioning and create seperate networks for both Sec and Command
or
B) Implement a loading bar and create separate networks for both Sec and Command

The "alert" wire would be very much a "DLC" to this concept, i'd like to see either above implemented prior to doing that.

But i'll bite: Phyro is completely correct that making the armory doors too hard would just end up in people avoiding the doors altogether. There are plenty of maps only where they have one wall separating the outside, which only further enforces the idea that the main doors are bad - if you are bad.
Honestly, adding a turret inside the armory like on Kondaru to some maps might be something that could be explored, but that's very much a topic for another thread.
you could also something something good idea bump something
I like the idea of random positioning and different networks for Sec and Command. It’s a simple change but should make it at least a tad more time consuming to immediately hack into Sec.
I think something to keep in mind is this:

The process of hacking should require SOME time, especially since it's contactless and thus leaves no trace - more time than a typical door hack. Additionally:

The process should not be able to be *easily* automated. Any automation of the process should be possible, but difficult/complicated. For example, processing a reply ping with an equation in it to get the valuable information out (coefficients and such), then using arithmetic comps to process all that, then recompile it back into a packet to be sent back. This can be done fairly straightforward as a human, but requires a good deal of work to automate with MechComp.