Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR] UM-051 - Adjusted QM Security Crate pricing and contents
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR

The base crate price was raised from 5k to 10k.
The base crate now contains a requisition token instead of a taser, baton, and secbelt.
The base crate no longer has the security grenade kit.

The experimental weapons crate no longer exists.

The security equipment upgrade crate price has not changed (15k)
The upgrade crate no longer contains a taser shotgun. It still has the elite security helmet.
The upgrade crate now contains a Clock 188 (with ammo) and both the security grenade + experimental grenade kits

Why's this needed?

Consolidates the disparate sec equipment crates into the base crate and the experimental crate. Lets you buy the full kit with one crate. Futureproofs balancing the different kits in crates by linking it to the crates in the secvend.

Now there's a way to get the clock 188 if you really really want it.

Changelog

Code:
(u)UrsulaMajor:
(+)Adjusted the QM security crates' contents.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Clock 188 buyable for 15K.... *SCREAM

maybe no for that? kinda OP weapon able to fire out tons of bullets at once with high bleed and decent brute
Did some testing:

You get two phasers for 5k or one clock + 2 spare mags for 15k

So, bursting at short range, the two phasers and the clock are basically identical on unarmored targets.

At long range, the phasers outclass the clock entirely, but the clock gets an earlier stamina-drain stun (reducing its damage potential, but stunning is useful in many cases). Again, this is on unarmored targets.

with 15k to spend, you could get 6 phasers, all of which can be recharged. Alternatively, you could buy 1 clock, with severely limited ammo

Two phasers vs one Clown at point blank:
[Image: unknown.png]

One clock, 3 mags vs one Clown at point blank:

Worth noting was that the clown was stunlocked after one full mag, although one mag took about as long to stunlock as the phasers did to deploy their full payload.

Overall, I feel like both options are sorta equivalent? There's pros and cons to each, and 15k is half the budget. Maybe I could reduce the spare ammo you get by one mag? The clock isn't rechargeable, and there's a recharger RIGHT THERE in cargo, making the phaser the more practical choice, probably.

I'm also not entirely opposed to giving the crew more slight-buffs against traitors in terms of access to better gear.
This makes it harder to access security gear for QM traitors or people using packets to crack crates. I don't know if that's an issue or a feature. Personally, I'd like to still see an option that gives access to a stun baton and taser without having to also break into security to use the token.
that's partially deliberate, glassofmilk, but i don't think you should really consider it that impactful; there's a sec equipment vendor in every checkpoint, so most popular maps don't force you to go into sec in order to redeem the token.

For illustration, here's how easy it'll be on cog1:

consider that money can be completely irrelevant to a good QM/someone with bank access and that phasers take some time to recharge and require a recharger compared to just insta clicking new mags into two glocks, as well as bleed and about a few dozen or more shrapnel/bullets lodged into the person. Also, every security vendor bar the armory one carries like 2-3 spare glock mags.
This looks great, fantastic.
Just yesterday Cargo immediately ordered several crates of SEC equipment and armed their entire department.
Funny? Yes. Good for balance? I pity the fool.

Phaser vs. Glock is a decent variety too for weapon orders.

Love it all. Thanks for your work!
I'm with Drago on Clock maybe not being a good fit for the crate, though more on it feeling like a sidegrade rather than an upgrade (Clock is definitely pretty nuts though.)

To me, the presence of the upgraded sec helmet signals to me that the crate can have stuff that's strictly better than normal, though not necessarily weapons type stuff. To spitball some ideas about what items could go into the crate:
-Armor that's on par with the NT-SO armor from the diner merchant (but not riot armor)
-300 PU self-charging battery
-NT SWAT gloves (minor electrical resistance, boosts chance of deflecting attacks when blocking--could supplement barrier use)
-Boots with no-slip
-Empty pouch with 7 slots
-Backpack with 8 or more slots

Alternatively, just make the crate nothing but 3 boxes of frosted donuts and 2 boxes of robust donuts
Ah, ok. Most of my experience with security involves stealing shit from it and/or being arrested, so I didn't know! Seems great, then
Security upgrade crate just containing donuts gets a +1 from me.
I see your stats there Urs, but I think you need to consider this in an actual firefight, rather than crunching the numbers.

The clock-188 power is in its glorious exsanguination rather than its brute damage. The burst rate will, as pointed out, daze a player, which only leaves more room for you to keep shooting and ramping up that impressive bleed damage, which is far more debilitating that simple brute or burn. 

Put it this way, if you had some medicine and got into a fight with someone with a dual phaser, you'd be able to out heal them if given the chance. 

Does this mean I'm against the clock option in a crate? 
No - but you could make the burst fire unique to the NTSO's clock. That'd be a decent compromise. 

The issue really is the 15k price tag. Unless QM is stinking rich, it's unlikely this will be availed of as an upgrade for security, but rather by some zealous/traitorous QM seeking a little bit more firepower. 

That said, the same issue still stands with the current sec upgrade crate. It is a conundrum and I feel any of my suggestions to fix this is outside the scope of this patch.

As for everything else, i'm pretty happy with this as it stands. I have some mild concerns that this might kind of cause an issue down the line where if the sec vendor is changed to give more diverse loadouts, you might have a case where this is a straight up big upgrade over the standard sec crate, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.
Sell a Clock 177 instead
Mostly echoing what Sundance is saying, the Clock on burstfire is one of the most nasty kinetics available outside of adventure stuff, from what I've used of it. The combination of bleed, bullet embedding, and the initial brute is pretty obscene in a firefight. In semi-auto? It's a party popper but having a designated semi-auto only version of it in a crate I could definitely see. Having an easily-orderable kinetic for sec is a wee bit weird though, considering how NT is supposed to be mostly energy weapons anyways (Enakai should make his energy PDW a reality for the NTSO)
(09-03-2020, 03:47 PM)Studenterhue Wrote: I'm with Drago on Clock maybe not being a good fit for the crate, though more on it feeling like a sidegrade rather than an upgrade (Clock is definitely pretty nuts though.)

To me, the presence of the upgraded sec helmet signals to me that the crate can have stuff that's strictly better than normal, though not necessarily weapons type stuff. To spitball some ideas about what items could go into the crate:
-Armor that's on par with the NT-SO armor from the diner merchant (but not riot armor)
-300 PU self-charging battery
-NT SWAT gloves (minor electrical resistance, boosts chance of deflecting attacks when blocking--could supplement barrier use)
-Boots with no-slip
-Empty pouch with 7 slots
-Backpack with 8 or more slots

Alternatively, just make the crate nothing but 3 boxes of frosted donuts and 2 boxes of robust donuts

Actually, I like the idea of QM Sec Gear that is sorta like "Budget Armory" With a greater focus on armoring people.

When you think about it, we can instead of giving crew gear that makes them on par with antags offensive abilities, we give them access to gear that increases their defensive capabilities against antags gear

Suddenly that mob of people can take a few hits and push through while you're still on ability cooldowns
I thought it was kinda weird that the armory had clock mags, how do you obtain those right now?