Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR] pod engine stuff and stuff
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR
So, pod engines claim that they affect pod speed, but they don't actually do that, I think.
This changes that, making it so that when the engine is changed the acceleration and top speed of the pod is updated as well.

I've made it so that the acceleration is less affected than the top speed, so that a strong ramming maneuver with something like the Helios II engine will still need to accelerate a bit more.

- These values could probably use fine tuning though.
- Is it even a good idea to change this now when it's been this way for so long?
- Should a higher tier engine need to be slower to be balanced? (Hermes 3.0 engine)
- Why is the slowest engine called Hermes?
- Will changes be necessary to ramming damage due to higher achievable pod max speed with Helios II engine?
- Did I implement this in a way that could be done better?
- Should we implement similar changes for subs?

Why's this needed?
Even if we decide not to go forward with changing pod speeds, the engine descriptions should be updated to reflect this.

Changelog

Code:
(u) zjdtmkhzt:
(+) TODO: Write stuff once PR is ready to be merged.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I already feel like pods are pretty fast right now, making higher tier engines even faster almost feels like overkill.

That said I do think that engines should effect the speed, but I am more inclined to lean the opposite direction. The current normal mundane engines should be slower, while higher tier engines will approach current speed and beyond.
If I'm not mistaken, their main use is actually power generation. If you wanna use more advanced parts, like the Medusa cloaking system, you need a better power source unless you're willing to shut everything else off. But, I definitely agree with making speed dependent on the engine.
I believe the original intent was for engines to affect both power production and speed, with the Hermes 3.0 engine being very powerful but also slow, for instance.
However, the speed modifiers that are set for engines were never actually used anywhere.