Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Make the doors of the arrivals shuttle unweldable
There are already unweldable doors, might as well extend that to the doors that no one is allowed to weld, ever.
Not sure about this.

There's legit tactics for welding doors on the shuttle, i.e: Weld the sec door to prevent sec from mobbing you if you're trying to kill a target.

There's also welding doors to prevent people from entering, which again, is a legit tactic.

Or welding doors so that you are stuck inside with the other player, i.e: Changeling going Abom.

This seems a bit kneejerky.
(09-01-2020, 07:43 AM)Sundance Wrote: Not sure about this.

There's legit tactics for welding doors on the shuttle, i.e: Weld the sec door to prevent sec from mobbing you if you're trying to kill a target.

There's also welding doors to prevent people from entering, which again, is a legit tactic.

Or welding doors so that you are stuck inside with the other player, i.e: Changeling going Abom.

This seems a bit kneejerky.
i think this is specifically for the arrivals shuttle, not just all shuttles. arrivals is the "join the game" zone on most maps.
Oh heck, my reading comprehension has failed me.

In that case, this is perfectly reasonable. Don't fuck with new arrivals off the bat.
Yeah Arrivals shuttle should be like a zone of no touching.
It's already a rule, I think it should be edited to apply said rule with code.
I would almost go a step farther and suggest arrivals be a "sanctuary" zone (like the afterlife bar entry area and the syndicate cruiser), but it'd have to have some way to be for the initial entry only or you could just hide in there forever

but i fully support making the arrival doors specifically the unweldable, unhackable, un-fuckable-with doors. though you'd still be able to fuck up things by putting walls down and the like, it'd be a simple step towards preventing one of the easier forms of grief

that being said it'd be nice if there was a way to defend against the case where the area just outside of arrivals is vacuum, but i'm not sure how that could work in a way that made sense and didn't cause other problems

(i guess what i'm saying is if you find arrivals fucked with you should always ahelp immediately)
I'd like to turn this thread into a "Fixing Arrivals" thread, with your blessing of course, as I do have some suggestions for arrivals that could make it less griefable.

Firstly, I would suggest adding a fabricator/vendor of sorts that has an unlimited supply of Oxygen tanks (Not emergency tanks) and space suits, with the condition that you only get one of each. That would free up all the space from emergency lockers that can be looted fairly quickly after an arrivals bombing.

Secondly, I would propose we move cryo into the arrivals shuttle so that players joining or re-joining via that method would get a clearly defined safe zone, being the shuttle (Safe Zoning the current locations could get messy, Destiny has a clearly defined area but what about Cog 1? How much area should be safe? How Safe? How abusable would it be?)
(09-01-2020, 12:43 PM)Zamujasa Wrote: I would almost go a step farther and suggest arrivals be a "sanctuary" zone (like the afterlife bar entry area and the syndicate cruiser), but it'd have to have some way to be for the initial entry only or you could just hide in there forever

but i fully support making the arrival doors specifically the unweldable, unhackable, un-fuckable-with doors. though you'd still be able to fuck up things by putting walls down and the like, it'd be a simple step towards preventing one of the easier forms of grief

that being said it'd be nice if there was a way to defend against the case where the area just outside of arrivals is vacuum, but i'm not sure how that could work in a way that made sense and didn't cause other problems

(i guess what i'm saying is if you find arrivals fucked with you should always ahelp immediately)

Yeah I was thinking of it being a sanctuary zone as well but what of people that run through it in the middle of rounds just to escape someone or something? I mean we could just replace arrivals with cryo machines like other maps but I like arrivals being a ship
That's a good point, perhaps have it apply the safe zone effects only to players joining into the game, along with giving the shuttle invincibility. That way new spawns would be protected from death but other players trying to mooch off of it's status are not granted safety.
It's against the rules to seal arrivals or the arrivals shuttle. It might happen on occasion that someone new does this without knowing it's illicit or just people trying to greif, but they are usually dealt with, I don't think there's a need to prevent it in code. Because then people can still wall it, or move objects, and the list goes on. More trouble than it's worth, just ahelp if someone does it.
we already tried the sanctuary zone thing 3 years ago, and it was plagued with problems. Imo, it being unsim and protected by rules is generally sufficient.

that said, welding the doors is becoming common and it's extremely low effort. I wouldn't be opposed to making arrivals weldproof
(09-02-2020, 06:49 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: we already tried the sanctuary zone thing 3 years ago, and it was plagued with problems. Imo, it being unsim and protected by rules is generally sufficient.

that said, welding the doors is becoming common and it's extremely low effort. I wouldn't be opposed to making arrivals weldproof

We already tried that? I don't remember it. Must have been during a time I was taking a break or something but yeah welding the arrivals doors is very low effort and easy grief. Same with welding the doors that lead out of the cryomachine. I would say leave a welder locker in the shuttle and cryomachine room but dunno if that fixes the problem.
Can't you just give arrivals doors the same thing some of the adventure zone or centcomm doors have? Where like "Your screwdriver can't pierce this!" or whatever.
The vibe I'm getting is that if you make them unhackable and unweldable, people will still just wall them off or whatever. If you make an area that can't be walled, people will A: Not be able to repair it, B: Just wall right outside of it because "Technically I'm not breaking the rules!"...better to just adminhelp it if you see it, y'know?