Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Make subs unable to traverse station turf/tiles
I'd agree with Sundance, It'd be sad to see the submarine's ability to traverse the station eliminated altogether.

The proposal made by Warcrimes seems like a decent fit to further add to the Sub's lack of mobility while still enabling it's ability to roam the halls.

However, I would hate to see it become an annoyance. How often will the tiles snap?
Will it become an annoyance for antagonists that far outweigh the benefit?
If it is simply the possibility of a tile breaking and not a constant with each move, I'd be fine with that.
I think the subs should require a certain depth of liquid below them to travel. Rework the podbays to have them fill with water to get the sub out.

Syndi subs could still storm the station, they'd just have to flood it as well
What if nukie subs are the only ones that can't run on station flooring? Because the syndicate doesn't have access to the same track tech as NT or something.
I think the suggestion that nuke subs have ammo and don't stun loop should be enough to fix that issue, on the topic of normal subs, the issue presented was that they're used to protect the meat inside of it so I would still like to see that specific part worked on. I don't currently see any issues with having subs roam the halls so I would like to see a reason for that specifically being an issue.
Uh, I only really read the initial post. No. This is a bad idea. Really pods should be able to traverse on station tiles too, but with big penalties for doing so. Maybe subs should similarly have penalty's for being on the station or be changed in a way to make them less op. But preventing them from moving on the station is just contrary to what they initially were meant to di.
What is the main problem with the subs? Is it that they can traverse station tiles in itself, or that they can use their weapons while doing so?
Maybe it would be enough to have them not be able to use any weapons while traversing the station. That way they can only deal damage through collison, which will also damage the sub itself (though I am not fully sure about mob collisions).

Having pods on station sounds fun, but they would have to be severely limited in their speed.
(09-01-2020, 05:17 PM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: I don't really feel like subs are ever an issue outside of nukie rounds, so I would hate to see their ability to drive around nerfed because of nukie rounds.

It should also be mentioned that aiming with a sub is way harder than aiming with held weapons as a human, so I really feel like subs are not as powerful as some people in this thread claim they are. You can stun people by hitting the sub, after all.

I second this in every respect.

If you want to make subs harder to hide in then make it easier to eject people from subs and pods somehow. But as it is I don't think hiding is much of an issue when I routinely see traitors get away on the shuttle with little to no hiding technique. Being in a sub on the shuttle might be an easy hiding place but as long as you're in the sub you really can't do much. Only shotgun subs can kill people reasonably fast (and stun them to boot) so if you try shooting anyone you get into trouble very quickly. I speak from experience and watching spessman vs sub fights on shuttles.
I've made a TTV, driven a sub onto the escape shuttle, and then detonated it while inside.  It destroyed almost the entire shuttle complement, and my sub still had health left after the blast; I was completely untouched despite being at the center of the explosion.  Stuff like that really feels unbalanced.
In that case we should probably change explosions that occur inside other things to do more damage to those things or something, like a multiplier!
And if the thing is not destroyed, possibly block the explosion from doing further damage.
Not really an issue with subs themselves, I'd say, since something similar could be done with other vehicles.
look guys, i just want people to stop driving subs them in the halls, like WHY do you need to drive them in the halls, im not talking from a nukie round perspective im talking overall,

see when i see some one drive one of the civvie subs or the yellow subs down the hall on manta or oshan
first i think, why, then i think, thats going to explode and cause flooding and damage cause of collision damage.

additionally, people blocking escape doors with subs in stuff

man I just see it as poor manners to drive it in the hallways

(i mean drive it all you want inside your department say like mining for example. but other than that i have few tolerences for it)
(i also think it would be a lot less frequent on Manta if the sub bay doors were not blocked by the shields but thats just me)

Overall I just find it annoying when its not related to mining tasks.
I think the shotgun itself is the big issue here - it compounds on an already prevalent issue with subs, in that the only route to removing a sub is tasing it (difficult seeing as tasers are no longer freebies) or beating on it.

The sub, limited to 8 directions, has the most ground coverage when things are near it. Folks that want to deal with it can completely make it worthless with a taser, but in most scenarios will have to engage it in melee combat. If only one brave soul attacks the sub, they are guaranteed death by pelting. If multiple do, they'll be messed up.

Compounding this - the sub can just go up and down the main hallway firing over and over and make 1/3rd of said hallway unusable.

Limiting the stun to taser-level will weaken the pod's ability to kill off greytiders, as those hit will almost be forced to run away.
Lowering the damage will turn it into sort of a crowd control vehicle, which would be a useful niche
Limiting the ammo will keep its' nutty lethality, but limit the amount that the nukies may exploit it to instakill folks.

If it's possible i'd prefer some combination of damage reduction and lower firerate, maybe turning it into more of a mildly lethal taser that has a slow fire rate, meaning using it for outright murder would be a wasteful, dangerous prospect as you have to sit still pumping lead into a guy til he falls into crit, but it could hold its' own against greytide and keep one or two people occupied (or clear the main hallway for nukies to follow through).

A syndie sub with no ammo is worthless and I think with solely limited ammo, nerds would simply do all they can to juke it and as a result encourage its' use in unfun strategies like firing repeatedly down a vital part of a hallway where it can't miss.
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/2193

I did it but there is indecisiveness about the idea.