Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR] Makes bodies not decompose in space
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR
This PR makes decomposition not happen if the body is in space (or on a container that's in space).

Why's this needed?
I like the tradeoff this creates. Throwing a dead body into space is usually very easy and makes the body relatively hard to find. Making those space bodies cloneable would be the downside to this common strategy.

Changelog

Code:
(u)pali
(+)Bodies no longer decompose in space.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I could have sworn bodies didn't decompose in space already.
(08-30-2020, 02:48 AM)Mouse Wrote: I could have sworn bodies didn't decompose in space already.

I mean, same??? I thought the absolute zero temperature preserves your body?
Actually looking at this closer... it's a bit of a mess.

Space is cold which delays the decomposition check by up to 6 seconds. But how often this happens depends on the lag which is pretty dumb when you think about it. Under usual conditions it happens every 4 seconds. Which means that (unless I missed something) being in space for long enough actually pretty much makes you undecomposable because it keeps delaying it over and over again, each time increasing the gap by 2 seconds.

However, if there's a lot of people on the server the loop only triggers every 8 seconds. So even the coldest places can't keep up (because you delay decomposition by 6 seconds every 8 seconds, losing 2 seconds each tick).

Bleh, it's a mess.

EDIT: Also apparently mutant races just straight up stop decomposition???????
body decomposition is weird. Bodies decaying much faster in warm air as well I believe

I think the morgue prevents it entirely, though there was (is?) a bug where the moment the morgue trays were opened that all decomposition would be applied at once
How I've seen is while in space on a space tile the body doesn't decompose but like right when you bring it inside the station it rots. Or at least by the time I dragged the corpse to cloning.
Could do a weird workaround where space causes corpses to generate light units of formaldehyde... you'd prolly wanna make SR neutralize formaldehyde then though.
An update: Yesterday I fixed and reworked how decomposition works a bit. Mutantraces now decompose (with the exception of skeletons). Decomposition timing shouldn't be dependent of server lag anymore. Temperature affects decomposition properly now (including space). And most importantly of all returning a non-decomposed body to a space where it would have decomposed no longer makes it rot instantly.

Basically whenever a new stage of decomposition starts a 4 to 10 minute timer is started. Each life loop tick this timer is decreased by the appropriate time elapsed and that's scaled by the temperature (at 0C you get no decomposition, at 20C you get regular speed, at 60C you get triple speed which is the maximum). Decomposition also doesn't happen on kudzu tiles, in cryo cells, in the morgue body thingies and in bodies injected with formaldehyde.
Is that why bodies are rotting super fast now? Because they're rotting super fast now.
(09-01-2020, 01:29 AM)pali6 Wrote: And most importantly of all returning a non-decomposed body to a space where it would have decomposed no longer makes it rot instantly.

See yeah I thought that was happening. I just figured I was too slow dragging the body back to cloning.
Did this happen to fix the "feature" where the corpse spacebux reward would make you instantly advance to the first stage of rotting?
(09-01-2020, 08:33 AM)KikiMofo Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 01:29 AM)pali6 Wrote: And most importantly of all returning a non-decomposed body to a space where it would have decomposed no longer makes it rot instantly.

See yeah I thought that was happening. I just figured I was too slow dragging the body back to cloning.

Not a bad thing. Finally Embalming Fluid is worth it!
This one's a little weird. While the pull request was closed and not merged, pali decided to fix temperature effects on decomposition like he described the previous posts, so corpses do in fact never undergo decomposition in space. (I think this also fixes long standing bugs about morgue units and body bags not preventing decomposition.) Moving to Good ideas! subforum then.

Anyways, you know the drill, if maybe rotting's a little too fast or even too slow or want to add another thing to the decomposition system, feel free to make a thread.