Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Change the name of Chav accent
Was brought to my attention that I've been ignorant.  Apparently Chav is a classist slur.  I was raised in England and didn't know, so I am guessing NA coders didn't know either.  We should probably change that name.
I don't really see it. Chav is honestly about as classist as bogan or gopnik, in the sense that it isnt. More often than not its used to refer to the stereotype. Rarely, if never, have I ever heard it used as a slur.
(08-29-2020, 11:18 PM)Carbadox Wrote: I don't really see it. Chav is honestly about as classist as bogan or gopnik, in the sense that it isnt. More often than not its used to refer to the stereotype. Rarely, if never, have I ever heard it used as a slur.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav  

"Chav" (/tʃæv/), also "charver" and "scally" in parts of Northern England, is a British pejorative term used to describe an anti-social lower-class youth dressed in sportswear"

its a pejorative to describe lower class youth even if you have never heard it in this context it still has the weight as an offensive word directed at the british lower class
In the same sense Gopnik would be derogatory; but it being derogatory stems from the fact that the stereotype it points out is anti-social in essence. I know way more people describing themselves as Gopnik as a social culture movement than anything else like a slur.
How else would you refer to the stereotype of Adidas tracksuit wearing youths blasting hard-bass while squatting and drinking straight from a bottle of Vodka?
(08-30-2020, 12:02 PM)GORE Wrote: In the same sense Gopnik would be derogatory; but it being derogatory stems from the fact that the stereotype it points out is anti-social in essence. I know way more people describing themselves as Gopnik as a social culture movement than anything else like a slur.
How else would you refer to the stereotype of Adidas tracksuit wearing youths blasting hard-bass while squatting and drinking straight from a bottle of Vodka?

Ok but the word itself is meant to be derogatory and classist, which again I didn't even know. Like, it's worth at least finding another way to describe it if it bums some people out, isn't it? In American terms it'd be like just naming an accent "trailer trash" and putting it out there.

If it's made to mock them based on class, couldn't hurt to have some empathy and not take part right?
Personally I am on Gore and Carb's side, I think that if nobody had noticed until now that it could be seen as offensive then chances are it's non-offensive to 95% of people who even know what it means, let alone could be described as it.

HOWEVER!

I have personally never heard the word before, if it COULD be seen as offensive then I think THAT should be enough warrant to change it, especially considering that a part of Goonstation's appeal is how "clean" it is of the more rude and edgy "humor" that some of the other servers employ (RIP in peace Hippie, you were a station).

With such a large influx of new players joining in, I think we should change it to a potentially less offensive alternative name if it is actually a term used to verbally assault people as to avoid leaving a bad taste in a new player's mouth that could snowball into them leaving from a variety of minor issues.
(08-30-2020, 07:15 PM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: Personally I am on Gore and Carb's side, I think that if nobody had noticed until now that it could be seen as offensive then chances are it's non-offensive to 95% of people who even know what it means, let alone could be described as it.

HOWEVER!

I have personally never heard the word before, if it COULD be seen as offensive then I think THAT should be enough warrant to change it, especially considering that a part of Goonstation's appeal is how "clean" it is of the more rude and edgy "humor" that some of the other servers employ (RIP in peace Hippie, you were a station).

With such a large influx of new players joining in, I think we should change it to a potentially less offensive alternative name if it is actually a term used to verbally assault people as to avoid leaving a bad taste in a new player's mouth that could snowball into them leaving from a variety of minor issues.

Yeah that's what I was saying man, I grew up there and had no clue, but this was pointed out by Uranium that it's used to disparage lower class folk. In fairness I feel like there's a new thing I never knew was horrible every other month.

I confess, I am not exactly sure what a good new name for it would be tho.
Limey and Pom are options I've just looked up but considering the rest of the languages tend to be normally named, I think Brit would actually be a more clear indicator as to what it does to your "voice", with fixing the offence issue coming as a bonus
I think ruffian might also be alright.
Cockney?
Think you'd have to just entirely replace it. That'd work tho. Didn't we already have a cockney though? Tragedy if not.
(08-31-2020, 12:03 PM)vampirate Wrote: Think  you'd have to just entirely replace it.  That'd work tho.  Didn't we already have a cockney though? Tragedy if not.

cockney rhyming slang. clown? = Gordon brown. telephone? dog and bone
Let me put this in a different way. Chav isn't a general term for the lower class. The tired worker that lives in a dingy apartment and barely makes it by isn't a chav. Chavs are the people that would tell me and my mum to fuck off back to our own country, try to chuck eggs at us and fight with shopping centre security.

They aren't an impoverished minority thats being misrepresented. We're talking about people who are fully conscious of their actions and choose to be smarmy assholes.

If this really bothers people then they're free to make the change themselves. Everything is laid before you.
(09-01-2020, 03:19 AM)Carbadox Wrote: Let me put this in a different way. Chav isn't a general term for the lower class. The tired worker that lives in a dingy apartment and barely makes it by isn't a chav. Chavs are the people that would tell me and my mum to fuck off back to our own country, try to chuck eggs at us and fight with shopping centre security.

They aren't an impoverished minority thats being misrepresented. We're talking about people who are fully conscious of their actions and choose to be smarmy assholes.

If this really bothers people then they're free to make the change themselves. Everything is laid before you.

See this is what I always assumed Chav was. The kids from Attack the Block. Little assholes that would rob you and shit while talking with funny accents.
(09-01-2020, 03:19 AM)Carbadox Wrote: Let me put this in a different way. Chav isn't a general term for the lower class. The tired worker that lives in a dingy apartment and barely makes it by isn't a chav. Chavs are the people that would tell me and my mum to fuck off back to our own country, try to chuck eggs at us and fight with shopping centre security.

Yeah but that's sort of a low class stereotype. The American comparison would be to stereotype black people in "thug clothing" similarly. If it's a classist slur to net people into one negative image whether they do that or not... it's a bit of a rough thing to allow.

(09-01-2020, 08:34 AM)KikiMofo Wrote:

See this is what I always assumed Chav was. The kids from Attack the Block. Little assholes that would rob you and shit while talking with funny accents.

Same, being told on discord it was something else was a surprise to me, but... if it is pejorative of a class of people, and someone is taking offense to it, I don't see the harm in changing the name to be honest.