Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR] Mutant races are selected through character creation
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[FEATURE]
About the PR

Spacebux-purchased mutant races can now, instead, be chosen through the character creation menu.

The mutant race appears to save to the character file properly, since I saved a skeleton into slot one, restarted the server, and spawned, and a skeleton popped out.

The character preview works, sort of. Mutant races with detail overlays (lizard, cow... that's about it) are fully rendered from the front, but lose their overlays when viewed from the side or back.

The images are also gotten in a less-than-ideal way, by making a new mutantrace datum when trying to render the image. This is because most of the details are defined in the mutant's New().

I could try just making a list, but that doesn't feel like the right solution.

...i should probably make the update_preview thing qdel() the mutant race thing at the end so we dont end up with a bunch of orphaned mutant datums. ...that's how it works, right?

Why's this needed?

so box ta can stop playing a fucking human

Also as someone who outright refuses to show up to work without scales and a ssshitty accent, I want to spend my spacebux on other things too. Plus, ever since buying lizard's started being a thing, I've been a bit more pissy about dying and more reluctant to do dumb things, cus it'd mean potentially running out of cash to fuel my dumb space-animal addiction. Which sucks, cus I like dying like an idiot to dumb things!

Changelog

Code:
(u)Superlagg:
(*)Removed mutant races from SpaceBux purchases. Instead they're now found in the character creation menu.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Good bot.

As per the PR itself, I thought the entire purpose of putting them behind Spacebux was to make it so you didn't go down that slippery slope of other servers. 

I feel there needs to be a give - take at play if you're moving away from spacebux. Maybe instead they're traits?

Otherwise I'm pretty neutral behind this change.
If these are made into traits I think I'd like to see an increase in number of total traits you can have as well as maybe an extra positive trait point given to start?

Personally in favor but I could reasonably see them being traits as well.
Aight, how about this: Just a toggle between human and lizard, the other mutant races go back to being spacebux purchases.

(08-27-2020, 12:03 PM)Sundance Wrote: As per the PR itself, I thought the entire purpose of putting them behind Spacebux was to make it so you didn't go down that slippery slope of other servers. 

Though I don't see that happening, I also don't want that to happen either. If it starts to happen, I'll be one of the first to make it unhappen.

(08-27-2020, 12:03 PM)Sundance Wrote: I feel there needs to be a give - take at play if you're moving away from spacebux. Maybe instead they're traits?

Otherwise I'm pretty neutral behind this change.

It could be good as a trait to give it some kind of cost, but I'd prefer that the cost be inherent to the mutant itself.
We should not remove the spacebux cost from mutantraces. Our mutantraces are rather bland. Basically human reskins. Mostly for funny gimmicks like skellingtons and cows. But they have no official lore behind them and their whacky appearance is the only large difference between humans apart from being considered non-human by the ai. Lizards have even less differences than cows and skellingtons who bleed milk or heal from milk, they just get infra red vision.

Mutantraces should feel more unique before making them feel commonplace. Humans are always the default all-rounder, and I like that. Mutantraces should fit into lore and should have actual substantial pros/cons if they are meant to be commonplace.
(08-27-2020, 02:26 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: We should not remove the spacebux cost from mutantraces. Our mutantraces are rather bland. Basically human reskins. Mostly for funny gimmicks like skellingtons and cows. But they have no official lore behind them and their whacky appearance is the only large difference between humans apart from being considered non-human by the ai. Lizards have even less differences than cows and skellingtons who bleed milk or heal from milk, they just get infra red vision.

Mutantraces should feel more unique before making them feel commonplace. Humans are always the default all-rounder, and I like that. Mutantraces should fit into lore and should have actual substantial pros/cons if they are meant to be commonplace.

That's not a bad idea! Any suggestions about making them more unique?
I was thinking about Cow people and I thought it would be funny if any future animal races were all farm based, specifically those related to food production.

Cow People
Chicken People
Pig People

It's a cost saving measure implemented by NT to genetically engineer their employees with animal DNA. In this case, they thought if the crew could also provide food to the other crew, they'd save on catering expenses.

There's already precedent that the crew has trace amount of Bee DNA for similar reasons
I approve of mutant races being a character creation option. It's just... fun, you know? The spacebux cost for them currently is way too high, in my opinion.
Like I said in the new thread that appeared when this PR got re-opened, Superlagg's closed this PR in favor of making a different one that converts the Spacebux race options into traits that cost trait points. (And trait limit has been updated to 7 accommodate that.)