Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
make stun baton flip around when youre on harm intent
(08-27-2020, 07:56 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 07:49 PM)Adhara In Space Wrote: https://streamable.com/d9i3gl

Spin the in hand tooooooo
you dont know what youre asking of me
Looks great!
Even more than the spin, I appreciate the big red warning text, which is probably a lot more noticeable to new players.
To the best of my knowledge, the stun on harm intent was meant to train new security officers that they shouldn’t be actively trying to cause harm to folks when they baton them. It also punished anyone who just yoinked a baton and tried to use it in place of their more typical fire extinguisher or toolbox. To some degree, I like that. I really do think it serves as a decent lesson that hey, you’re security, you shouldn’t be beating people up all willy nilly. That said, I get the feeling this was done during a time when harmbaton and buckle cuffing were both like. Actual constant problems.

I think the problems security have now are generally more inexperienced folks than actively harmful folks, though there are always going to be some shitters, and harm baton stun may just kinda be unnecessary at this point. I prefer the flip-around sprite, partly because I actually do still kinda like goofy trap-like stuff like the light grenade and self-stunning, they’re kind of a right of passage and I really do feel that things like that give the game its wacky, “you are almost certainly gonna die” spirit that made me love it so much. Bad things happen, it’s a game, we move on. We have -way- more options for what to do if you’re dead now anyhow.
What Phoenix, Arizona said. I think it fits well with how the game is themed, just having a flipped sprite should be good enough (I was thinking the item slot sprite would be the only one needed but having it also do the in-world sprite if easy enough would be neato)
Very much in blackphoenix mood, this was normally seen as a traditional right of passage, so players were aware of their intents. 

That said the cue was punishing and can at times catch out veterans in the heat of the moment. It's a fight changer and turning the tides of a fight is fun. The baton switch demonstrated is a good compromise.
Heart 
(08-28-2020, 05:20 PM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: What Phoenix, Arizona said. I think it fits well with how the game is themed, just having a flipped sprite should be good enough (I was thinking the item slot sprite would be the only one needed but having it also do the in-world sprite if easy enough would be neato)

The best way to handle it would be to animate the item sprite, probably by turning it with a spinning animation and then turning into the flipped version.

Cheerleader Sec being able to do complex baton twirls, flips, and tosses.
I will be honest, for a long time I did not realize *why* harm-batoning would stun me until I played on a completely different server where turning the baton on and off would make it flip. I am 100% for keeping the self-stun but any graphic stuff we can do to make what is happening more obvious would be wonderful.
Pull request to make stun batons flip when on harm intent has been merged, with the additional caveat that you can't use the throw spark special on Disarm to facilitate it. Gonna move this since it's implemented now. If you'd rather see this changed or even removed (not that it seems like people want it removed), feel free to make a new thread!