Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.2 Average
Hard-mode traitors on high-pop nuke
An idea I had.  See, nuke caps at six nukies, and IIRC the ratio is one nukie for every four roundstart crew members which means that it caps at 30 players.  Population on off hours lately tends to be around 50, and late afternoon EST can have populations of over 100 easily these days.  Nukies are drastically outnumbered.  (And, since so many players are new, it's quite likely that random chance will put no experienced players on the nuke team, which means all the experienced players are on the crew's side)  Increasing the nukie cap runs into friendly fire problems as well as problems getting everyone to the station. (remember before the Cairngorm when someone had to either jetpack or lie down in a crate?)

Now, my idea is that, if roundstart population is above some threshold, a number of crew members will be chosen as hard-mode traitors.  They would know it's nuke, they'd know the plant site, and they'd get the syndicate S.  Their task would basically be to sabotage the station and prepare for the main force.  The nukies would be told who they are so they can avoid PDA bombing them.

Maybe they could get some stuff other than just being hard-mode traitors, and there'd have to be some way for them to communicate with the nukies without them blowing their cover.  An implant a la the machine translator, but for nukies, perhaps?  That'd also help communication once explosives come out and all the nukies go deaf.

Edit: Heads of staff (especially the captain) would be barred from being chosen for balance reasons (easy AI subversion, auth disk).
Part of the idea behind nuke is that the syndies are the only antagonist, and the entire crew works together to fight them.
Some of the most fun I had as a traitor was being a traitor during a blob round. Just sneaking around trying to sabotage the crew while they are trying to fight the blob. I can see it would be fun to do the same with syndies as well.
I think anything that involves "double agents" should a dedicated, seperate antagonist.