Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hire some of the former NSV13 staff for Artemis and other ship-y stuff.
They made some of the best ship code in SS13, by far. But the actual server is dead as far as I can tell. I'd hate for all that talent to go to waste.
I don't think there's any actual "Hiring" involved but if they were to join the goon community with the intention of coding I'm sure they'd be allowed to
Wisecrack put it pretty well. If they want to come here and just chat and/or play Goonstation like a regular player, I don't see any problem. It's fine if they give code advice or make pull requests for our codebase too; that's basically what Naksu and stylemistake, who are mostly tg-regulars, have been doing. (In fact one of the first pull requests was someone from outside our community.)

If they discover/are shown Artemis and stuff and want in, I don't personally don't mind if they lend some maps or code. But if they say they'd rather work on something else, I'd respect their wishes and think everyone else should too. Artemis is a passion project, and if someone ain't got the passion to contribute, they shouldn't be forced to work on it (not like anyone's arguing for such anyways). It's not like Artemis has a deadline or something.

That said, I can't speak for urs, and Artemis is ultimately her project.

If the idea is put them on our admin team though, I'm rather against the notion for two reasons. One is, to put it perhaps too simply, admins foster the community, and coders also maintain the game, so if they don't know the community and game of Goonstation very well, it simply makes no logical sense for them to be on our team. The other is that I don't know many of the NSV13 staff too well, so it's hard for me to say they would be a good fit for our team or have something I think would be good for an admin. Plus, everyone can contribute to Artemis without being admin.