Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trait - Hard Time
Description
Hey, you. You're finally awake. You were trying to cross the border, right?

How it works
Same as stowaway, but you start in the brig with only prisoner's clothes and a prisoner's beret. Negotiate, do your time, or stage a dastardly escape.

Let us do the proper RPG start.
I like. Would this also happen for latejoins? If so how would we make the prisoner spawn flavorfully? Actually, Twitch Bill respawned by climbing out of a toilet, we could repurpose that for the brig toilet.
(08-21-2020, 01:06 PM)pali6 Wrote: I like. Would this also happen for latejoins? If so how would we make the prisoner spawn flavorfully? Actually, Twitch Bill respawned by climbing out of a toilet, we could repurpose that for the brig toilet.

Toilet spawning sounds good, you never know when criminals are crawling through the plumbing.
You tried escaping through 500 yards of shit smelling foulness but went the wrong way
Isn't there already a "Convict" job in the game? It's just currently an admin enabled thing
And here I was thinking this would be a suggestion relating to Hard Time the MDickie game. Got my hopes up.
MDickie's games are perhaps the only ones that surpass ss13 in quality.
I like this idea, but it's tricky to pull off right. I've seen rounds where admins spawned prisoners into the brig and it created for very dynamic rounds. But it can just as easily go the other way where the prisoners are ignored and it leaves everyone upset. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that it might be a better fit for a high value spacebux purchase. That way you'll never really accidentally do it, and it would be harder to cause prison overpopulation.
I think if you take this trait, you should have a security record that has whatever crimes you did that got you locked up.

Generate the reasons from Sec Tickets
I feel like this, along with stow-away in general, would make more sense as an actual role.
How feasible would it be to make the person's normal starting gear spawn in one of the evidence lockers?
(08-21-2020, 04:50 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: I like this idea, but it's tricky to pull off right. I've seen rounds where admins spawned prisoners into the brig and it created for very dynamic rounds. But it can just as easily go the other way where the prisoners are ignored and it leaves everyone upset. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that it might be a better fit for a high value spacebux purchase. That way you'll never really accidentally do it, and it would be harder to cause prison overpopulation.

True, I thought of that as well, but I feel like it wouldn't be as much of a problem as it might seem. Sure people who don't know what they're in for might be in for a rude surprise, but I doubt they'll take the same trait again. And with not possibly getting out, well I'd say it's the price of admission with the trait, sometimes shit's gonna suck. Though I feel that most rounds it probably wouldn't take me more than 10 minutes to convince some enterprising staff assistant to get some tools to break his brother out. At least if a radio was included in starting gear as well. Sec isn't supposed to take those off anyway, right?

I personally want to see it as a trait since it's a pretty potent character backstory tool and an interesting place to start since it depends on the player interaction so heavily at round start to get out in the first place. It can influence the round in such a diverse way just because of the round starting connections you have to make in order to get out, maybe you'll become the inside man for sec or the price of you busting out is joining the gang of the shady greyshirt who got you out. So many possibilities.

It could certainly be a spacebux trinket, but I think that a price on it would limit its roleplaying potential as you couldn't make a persistent character using that easily and it would also place some limits on how much you could play it. Also, I couldn't use it because the spacebux menu is long broken on XP...

Maybe if the main worry is people taking it without knowing the risks or accidentally taking it, we could add a separate section in the trait menu at the bottom, just like delineated with a line and a warning header of something like "Only for the toughest nerds" and this and all similar very disadvantageous traits could go down there. I feel like there's a few other traits similar to this one that could have potential in RP and challenge sense that could also put in for the true masochist nerd, though for most I do agree that the spacebux trinket is a better option.
(08-21-2020, 04:01 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: And here I was thinking this would be a suggestion relating to Hard Time the MDickie game. Got my hopes up.

RNG based trials would be a horrible if hilarious gimmick to run.
I'd be up for some trial by fire.
Make criminals drink Dragon's Breath, if they are incinerated, they were guilty.