Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
S:tG Temporal Deck Carriers
Ever buy a starter kit for Spacemen: the Grifening and get every card you wanted all in one go? Ever get an awesome booster pack that has every foil you could imagine? Ever steal another guy's foils after beating him in both S:tG and wrestling? Ever spent time designing a deck for S:tG for if there's ever a tournament on your station or a nearby one?
If you answered yes to any of these, then you likely know the frustrations of not being able to carry your precious deck between rounds. Every time that shuttle arrives at Central, it's like the security team steals your cards, calls you a nerd and tells you to go buy new cards and pray for good luck, since those old cards are never coming back.

But what if those old cards did come back? What if you could build the perfect deck across multiple rounds, and assemble your own personal playstyle not (entirely) determined by the sheer luck of buying cards and booster packs?
Introducing the Temporal Deck Carrier, a special deck case that can transport your Spacemen: the Grifening deck through time and space, letting you carry it between rounds! Impress your friends with a deck that's filled with all foil cards! Assemble your dream deck of chaplains and changelings! Challenge others with their own TDCs to Spacey Games, where the loser is sent into deep space with no suit*1! Do it all in a fashionable container that can be yours for only a thousand spacebux*2!

*1 S:tG does not endorse the act of spacing opponents unless the player in question is antagonistic in some way, shape or form.
*2 Actual price pending. May or may not be purchasable with spacebux.

Basically, a Temporal Deck Carrier would be a fancy card case that you can use to store Spacemen: the Grifening cards (up to 80, preferably, as that's the maximum for "tournament-legal" decks). Any deck stored in the TDC is saved to the user, and will appear in their TDC in future rounds, unless overwritten by another deck (done by using a multitool/some tool on the TDC to unbind the old deck first).
The TDC doesn't necessarily have to save what faces appear on a given set of S:tG cards; only which types the cards are. For example, it may not remember a "Staff Assistant Schmuck McJoey" card exactly, but it will remember a "Staff Assistant" card and fill the name in from there when drawn out of the TDC for the first time that round.

The primary reason to add the Temporal Deck Carrier would be to enable the omeganerds allow for cross-round play of S:tG and encourage deck-building, allowing for more engaging game-playing. If cards are saved between rounds, some nerds may see fit to assemble a strategic deck rather than simply buying a starter pack and four boosters, tossing them all into one pile and calling it good enough. This would also allow hardcore S:tG players to prepare for any tournaments that may happen in the future (though the chances of that are slim).
I also thought about this,...
Saving decks in-between rounds...but there are a few major problems.

For one you would have to save way more data considering each card is randomly generated from each card pack.
The second being...if you look at the code responsible for card generation than the level...multiplies the ATK and DEF stats of each creature.
Saving your deck in-between rounds can leave you with a ridicolously high level deck. There is no way a LVL 1 staff assistant can beat a deck made up of LVL 19 Wendigos.

I am afraid...that even if such a thing would be implemented that the whole balancing aspect will become way worse.
The random card generation would have to be overhauled first.

---

Deck building takes a while.
That is the most concerning problem.

A better solution in my opinion would be to integrate booster packs that have a higher chance to spawn thematic cards.
A robo booster pack,...
An antag booster pack,...
A crew booster pack,...

For that we would have to overhaul the card generation process and probably add a few more cards since some themes are lacking a substantial amount of different cards.
Well, maybe we un-randomize the cards then? Honestly, I think being able to have a deck or two to carry between rounds would be great and might actually promote random pickup games or even tournaments. Currently they are a bunch of code that is mostly forgotten about, but if there was some persistence I think they might actually see some use.
Never touched the cards but this sounds like a good discussion to have, might pick them up once everything is finalised
Can't you buy a card carrying case, or is that just figures?

Anyway, make it work like Spacebux purchases, where if you carry a case with you until the end of round you keep what's in it. Lose it and you lose your collection.
Bumping because as a stg player i really want and needthis
If you can agree on two (2) new "starter deck" configurations I will add them