Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Make brain damage randomly delete messages to simulate memory loss.
Brain damage needs more "middle" stuff before it actually kills people.
Not sure as a regular brain damage effect, but could be added to the Alzheimer's pathology symptom if/when pathology comes back
I love this. Yeah I like the idea of just kinda blocking it out, with treatment recovering it.

Likewise, I think we could tone down hallucinations to be more effective. Replace certain words in sentences. Sometimes show a false emote. Not show that you preformed an action or said something when you had.

No flashing colors, no images appearing on the screen that immediately give it away. Just subtly gaslighting the players
No.

This is far more annoying than fun. It could also remove parts of messages that people are reporting - which while this wouldn't hurt the admin logs may make it harder for someone to argue their case.
As opposed to the very fun and not annoying drool spam before dying.
(08-18-2020, 02:22 AM)Erev Wrote: No.

This is far more annoying than fun. It could also remove parts of messages that people are reporting - which while this wouldn't hurt the admin logs may make it harder for someone to argue their case.

Big agree.

A harmful pathogen doing damage to you is very different from something that withholds information in such a major way. Not only will it be incredibly confusing for new players, but it will also make people hate that symptom with a passion, and not in the fun way.
Also, there is the fact that it will make debugging things much harder for people.
You could just have a pop-up explaining it.

Quote:You have brain damage and feel stupider! You suddenly can't remember what people are saying.
Deleting messages makes it harder to adminhelp those messages. Let's not.

Edit: That said, I'm totally down for Brain Damage having more middleman effects before "Oops you died". Just this one is probably unwise.
How about having the text past a certain point be turned white (or dark blue if using night mode) to simulate it but should an admin need records for it there would be a way for them to turn it off to make searching for the text easier. Highlighting is a thing but when so much text is white it would be made difficult to find what you're looking for, simulating memory loss better where you CAN recall things if you spend enough time trying.

Edit: I am not really for the idea however as it would take effort that I personally wouldn't want to bother with but I do agree on brain damage needing tweaks.
(08-18-2020, 11:29 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: How about having the text past a certain point be turned white (or dark blue if using night mode) to simulate it but should an admin need records for it there would be a way for them to turn it off to make searching for the text easier. Highlighting is a thing but when so much text is white it would be made difficult to find what you're looking for, simulating memory loss better where you CAN recall things if you spend enough time trying.

This is pretty good. All the text is there, it just blends in with the background and is harder to find.

How about elements of the HUD becoming more unreliable? Inventory rearranging itself when you're not looking at it
There's currently a bug where occasionally your items become invisible in your backpack, maybe adding it as a feature could work to simulate the same effect?
Could have a list of words that can't be erased.
(08-18-2020, 10:18 AM)BlackPhoenix Wrote: Deleting messages makes it harder to adminhelp those messages. Let's not.

Edit: That said, I'm totally down for Brain Damage having more middleman effects before "Oops you died". Just this one is probably unwise.

Why should that make it harder?

It depends on how one would code this; I mean it doesn't have to touch the text which was spoken by somebody.
The effect would be personal - limited to the afflicted individual.

(08-18-2020, 02:37 PM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: There's currently a bug where occasionally your items become invisible in your backpack, maybe adding it as a feature could work to simulate the same effect?

Yeah - but seeing as it is necessary to click-drag some items (lollipop bowls) to remove them from the backpack again; that is bad.
Those items just become stuck in your backpack. You can click on the tile - use them - but no longer click-drag items. Without click-dragging you cannot remove all items that exist from your backpack.
It can be harder to Ahelp because the one thing someone said that shows someone is being terrible can suddenly go "Nope, I don't exist to you anymore".

I can only imagine admins getting annoyed at doing extra work to figure out why they were sent the 11th "You don't remember what this person said" for the week.
I doubt that a problem like this would bloat up to these properties; but why not test it?
In case it does evolve into the shit-fest that is spoken about like a prophecy here...well then it can just be reverted, aye?