Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Make brain damage randomly delete messages to simulate memory loss.
I mean...or we could just not and find something more fun and less obnoxious. Doesn’t brain damage already occasionally cause somebody to fail to use items or open doors? Maybe some sort of micro-stun every now and again with a message saying you briefly forget what you were doing.
Regardless of it being an ahelp issue, would this actually be fun for anyone? I can't help but feel like this would just be incredibly annoying, and not in a fun way like the clown, but in the miserable way like when you have to click unnecessary popups or refocus windows.

edit: referring to the memory loss, i have no opinion on the stun one way or another
I think the micro stun would be fine.

The likelihood of it happening during combat without prior warning is...uh, pretty low I'd imagine, so if it does happen it's your fault for not taking care of it.
(08-19-2020, 07:17 AM)cyberTripping Wrote: Regardless of it being an ahelp issue, would this actually be fun for anyone? I can't help but feel like this would just be incredibly annoying, and not in a fun way like the clown, but in the miserable way like when you have to click unnecessary popups or refocus windows.

edit: referring to the memory loss, i have no opinion on the stun one way or another

This might just be me, but I find the concept fun. I like limitations to work with, because it's overcoming and finding workarounds that's rewarding.

I think the arguments against deleting text are valid, but I think there's other ways to handle it that avoid those concerns, such as the suggestion to make it harder to read.

What I think is neat about this is that it's not a mechanic like a microstun that limits your abilities, but instead a limitation on the information you get, by making it unreliable.
I agree with Frank_Stein - another stun is really not that fun nor original.
Work with limitting information rather than just adding the most used effect in the game ONCE AGAIN.
I mean, look, if you want to make it remove messages, don't do it retroactively. It would effectively have to be like hearing loss, but instead say "X said...something?". That way, there's no case of wanting to adminhelp something but infuriatingly not being able to find it.
Well if you wanna adminhelp something...and you are aware of what you wanna adminhelp - then you already know what you wanna adminhelp.

Someone insulted you? The message got deleted due to the effect?
Simply report the person X insulted you. Adminlogs will show the full extend of the insult anyway. No need to quote all the insults.
I think the point of Admin Logs recording it has been debated enough for now, if it is an issue then simply change the coloring, if it's not an issue as admins have logs then it isn't an issue. I'd like to move on to other points of conversation such as what the rate of loss would be, would it actually affect you enough to warrant the effort of coding it, would curing brain damage fix it, etc. Whether it affects admin reports or not is a more objective issue that has kind of derailed the thread of the original idea (In my opinion) and I would like to see if the idea has merit outside of 1 'Potential" issue.
I am a fan of: Let the person who wants to see this in-game code it and debates about balance can be better post-poned until the feature is in a viable state to be observed.

Heal brain dmg ---> Fix

Rate of loss ---> Play around with values while coding it

Would it warrant the effort of coding? ---> Perhaps...depends on who wants to see this. I'd like to see this but I will sure as hell not put time in to code this. Sounds like a nightmare.

---

As it stands:

+1 for the idea
(08-20-2020, 03:01 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: I think the point of Admin Logs recording it has been debated enough for now, if it is an issue then simply change the coloring, if it's not an issue as admins have logs then it isn't an issue.

I think this is the best way to implement this.

Keep the text as is, but make it randomly blend in more with the chatbox background.  One could say it's simulating thinking REALLY HARD about what that one person said 10 minutes ago.

And of course, fix it once the issue itself is fixed.
I think... also if an edgelord is gonna say something bannable once, even if it's missed by the deleted text, that person isn't gonna do it only once and will probably get caught eventually.
Wouldn't the deleted line only be on the individual player's end? The admins would still have the full logs. And even if, say, someone said something objectionable, my character 'forgetting' the objectionable line still doesnt stop me, the player, from ahelping it. Worst case scenario I may scroll up to get the precise wording, but if I cant find it I'm still going to remember it was said and can simply inform, in the ahelp, that the line was 'forgotten', just in case there is a misremembering on my part. I suspect the admins would be fine with this, admins have in the past made it clear to me that they are 100% a-ok with ahelps of lesser certainty.

Unless there is something I'm missing, I dont see how this mechanic would hamper ahelps in any way.