Varshie's HoS Application
Usual character names: 
Humans: Miranda Barrett (exclusively played as sec/det), Karu Karim, Bullet Vandergun
Cyborg: Anti-Meat
BYOND username: Varshie
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Varshie
Recommended by (if applicable): Kamades, jan.antilles, Leeanei, Lily (Discord), Lucky The Unlucky (Discord)
Goon servers you play: Primarily Goon 3 (RP Overflow), with a bit of Goon 1 (RP) mixed in on very rare occasions.

I feel like it’s necessary to point out that I have spent nearly all of my rounds playing as security on the RP Overflow server. As of right now and for a while leading up to this point, I really have had no interest in playing on Goon 2 or Goon Overflow.

Reason for application
Over the past few months I have played a fair amount of security, and while it’s not my main job it’s definitely one that I feel like I have gained a good grasp of and enjoy playing. With the time zone I live in (GMT+1) and my preference for playing on the RP servers, as I can’t do without the storytelling and player interaction, I often find myself playing security in the early hours of the morning when fewer people are online. And lately during these hours I haven’t seen many competent members of security (notably because there are a lot of newer players). Additionally, players who are whitelisted to play as HoS are rather uncommon during those hours, especially on the overflow server which is where I spend most of my time playing.

I’ve learned a lot since I started out, and I’m more than eager to admit that I wouldn’t have come this far without the help of other players who offered me pointers and their tutelage. Because of those learning experiences, teaching and communicating with one’s department is a skill I have genuinely come to appreciate, and is something I always make an effort to do while I’m playing, moreso if I'm playing as a member of command. I believe that making sure that people know what they are doing so their respective departments can operate to the best of their staff’s abilities will benefit any station. Any department is more enjoyable when it’s staff are interacting, after all. Unless you are a geneticist, in which case you will be left to your own devices.

I think newer and existing security players would benefit from my general style of play were I to be whitelisted. I’m more than happy to teach, and I feel like I have the management skills to direct other members of security towards doing something that benefits the department as a whole. Additionally, seeing as HoS players are relatively uncommon during the hours when I’m most active, I think the players who are online during that time may appreciate the shift in tone that would be brought to the round by a HoS’ presence.

Finally, and perhaps the most selfish reason I have for applying for HoS: I’ve just had enough of seeing captains, department heads, or other security officers abuse their positions. Being ordered by the captain to execute a criminal charged with a minor crime is something I’ve honestly seen enough of lately, and while I never carry out requests such as those, it would be nice to have the authority to just be able to put my foot down and say no. Also, being able to demote staff (something I consider to be a last resort) would allow me to weed out individuals who are doing nothing but causing trouble in their respective roles and are beyond reasoning with.

Sure, I can teach people with or without the role, and I can act out against command personnel who make outrageous requests or do things that completely disregard the law, but I can’t help but feel like more people would be put at ease with the presence of a HoS during those early-morning rounds. In my opinion, being approved for HoS is less about me and more about how it would benefit the people around me.

Security experience:
I’ve seen and dealt with a fair share of trouble while working in the security department: botanists growing harmful substances, cargo declaring independence, rampaging clowns, rogue AIs or incompetent officers who have a taste for beating people. I’ve also dealt with practically every antagonist that’s capable of showing up on the RP servers: lings, vampires, traitors, conspiracists, and so on. And even so I have a good idea of how to deal with the ones that I haven’t yet encountered (blobs, wizards) just based on what I’ve read or have been told by other players.

I’m admittedly not the most robust player in the world, but I don’t feel like I have to be. I can hold my own in a fight and know my way around the combat system, know how my equipment works, but I feel like my biggest skill is in management and organization. I can get people working together which frankly is the department’s biggest strength when you actually see it happen, and while I don’t always like to assume the role of a leader every time I’m playing security, I always make sure to communicate with my fellow officers and ensure that people are where they need to be. Even if it’s just asking for the occasional update, I like to keep in touch with people to make sure they haven’t been pulled off into maintenance and killed. 

In recent times I’ve dealt with quite a few captains who have taken things too far, who I feel like I have dealt with appropriately. I prefer to take a more diplomatic approach when it comes to arresting someone, but I know when my words aren’t going to make a difference and when to stop. I’ve seen enough to know when other people are taking things too far, and I’ll often speak out about it if I see it happen, be it another officer’s sentencing or use of force. If it’s a genuine mistake, I’ll let them off with a warning or just a talking to, but if it’s intentional then I’ll do what’s necessary to get the point across.

Answer two or more of the following:
What advice would you give to other sec players?:
  • It’s not about winning. Your goal as security isn’t to ‘win’ or purge the antagonists off of the station within the first 15 minutes. Instead, you should be looking to create interesting interactions between yourself and the rest of the crew. Write some creative tickets such as a critique of the chef’s latest soup, ‘invite’ people in for questioning, overlook the botany department’s grow op in exchange for a handsome bribe (which you will conveniently forget about receiving later). Look to keep the interactions between yourself and other players fun while keeping the story moving, instead of just hauling someone off to the brig the moment you have an excuse to do so.
  • On that note, know when to act. Not every player you bump into is going to willingly let themselves be taken in for interrogation or another form of punishment if they think their round is at risk, or maybe they are already on a killing spree and can’t be reasoned with. Either way, on occasion it’s important that you know when to cease the diplomacy and immediately take action if it’s clear that they have no interest in cooperating with you.
  • Gather evidence. This is important. Don’t just arrest someone who happens to be walking by the scene of the crime. Ask questions, check for prints, root out any inconsistencies, ask passersby and suspects for a brief interview. Sometimes the culprit won’t be obvious at a glance, but with a little digging everything will become clear. Don’t forget about the detective either- there’s no one better to dig up some evidence while you are handling other crimes or are attempting to bring someone in for questioning.
  • Communicate. You and your team are only going to benefit from it. Talk over the radio and make use of your PDA messenger and Crisis Alert program. Maybe ask another officer if they would like to buddy up, or stay behind to handle the criminal records while your fellow officers are handling things elsewhere, and get the securitrons on your team’s side for that added backup. A security department that’s working together is a force to be reckoned with, and teamwork can go a long way. Finally, if you see someone struggling with their role as an officer, try to be supportive and show them the ropes, or let them tag along with you just to get an idea of how things get done.
  • Be fair with your sentencing. Set the timer and be reasonable with the sentence. Feel free to tack on some extra time if they are resisting or being verbally abusive, and remember to cut some off if they cooperate. If someone does end up in the brig remember to make use of the timed lockers and don’t remove their headset unless they are making too much noise over the public channels, or being abusive. And never remove a clown’s mask, it’s just not right.
  • Have fun. Don’t take security too seriously and learn from your mistakes. If you get your taser and baton stolen because you were knocked down while walking around with them in your hands, write yourself or the thief a ticket and try to laugh it off, that’s not to say you shouldn’t deal with the loss of equipment, just don’t take it personally and try to learn from it.
What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one):
Recently while playing as security, I had a round where the AI had been tampered with by an unknown source (believed to be the captain or RD at the time, but it turned out to be one of our friends at centcomm). After asking the captain a few questions on the bridge, we discovered that the reset module was missing. I took questioning and searching the captain and his quarters into my own hands, while requesting the other members of security conduct a simultaneous search over in the research department to ensure we cracked down on both suspects at once. We didn’t actually find anything in the end, but the encounter was overall just very compelling and mostly everyone who was involved seemed to enjoy themselves.

Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer:
While I’m playing on my own I like to make use of everything at my disposal: flashers, criminal records (more commonly a Securotron-5000 for it’s portability), shackles, and of course the port-a-brig. I also like to make friends with the crew. Having people tip me off to a crime they witness, or even building a good enough friendship with people where someone would be willing to step in and save my life when my ass is handed to me is well worth the effort.

If push comes to shove while I’m on my own and I really have no choice but to retaliate, I prefer to take a non-lethal approach to dealing with a criminal unless it’s absolutely necessary. Crowd dispersal grenades, flashbangs. I usually will not consider taking someone out of the round unless it’s absolutely necessary.

When working with a group however, I much prefer to get other people involved if I see that they aren’t sure of what they are doing. As such, I often take the ‘support’ kit and do my best to keep my fellow officers going. I’ll offer advice, check in with them, and generally do my best to keep things moving. I’m more than happy to sit back and keep an eye on the department if there’s a need for it, or go out on patrol with a buddy.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
Write a poem:

Funny clown, funny clown, spin around.
Funny clown, funny clown, jump up and down.
Funny clown, funny clown, touch your toes.
Funny clown, funny clown, honk your nose.
Funny clown, funny clown, stab the mime.
Funny clown, funny clown, do the time.

What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?:
  1. It would require a little help from the clown, but if I could get someone on board with my idea I would love to cut out brigging and instead just lock convicted criminals in a room with a very vocal clown that’s an expert in endlessly making awful puns for the duration of their prison sentence. Some might consider this a fate worse than death, which is why they’ll hopefully do their best not to cause any more trouble.
  2. Sending some officers undercover. With appropriate ID changes and outfitting, you could plant an officer in a number of departments and just have them keep an eye on things behind the scenes. It would probably work best during lower population rounds, but it would give people something to do if there isn’t much crime on the station. It would be interesting to see how far you could take said ‘undercover operation’.
Draw a picture!:
I present to you a overhead drawing of a polar bear in the snow:

[Image: 0ZnfHAy.png]

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): N/A
Played a lot of rounds with Varshie, and I've always breathed a sigh of relief when I see Miranda. Means Sec will be well managed, usually entertaining, and any new players will come out with a better understanding of How To Be Good Secpeople. Also means the Heads and esp the Captain will be less likely to do anything TOO oover the line!

I think Varshie would be an excellent HoS, and a great steadying hand on Late Night Weirdness. I've worked with them as sec a couple of times, but I am admittedly not a major Sec player. My interactions are more often just a sit and chat at the QM desk, or calling em as the AI to assist - and Miranda the HoS is going to be a person I'm happy to see on my weird farty spessman round any time.
Good cop, never seen or heard them pull bullshit. Will reprimand people who abuse power as sec or command and praise people who do good jobs.
Varshie is always one of those players you're happy to see around. They're taught me how to play medical, how to play sec and even some construction on the side. They're always teaching players new things and as sec wrangling situations with real and self antags really well. Even there own other sec officers if they're a problem.

They have excellent judgement and a keen eye for trouble. There RP is always amusing and engaging and they have more then enough in game experience to do what needs to be done when it's time, as well as keep a good eye on there own officers to crack down on bad ones. Or give support to their team when they need it.
I have played a lot with Miranda Barrett as both HoS and Clown. As a HoS Miranda is a name I feel joy when I see over the Sec coms welcoming me on board.
They have a similar Sec style as I do, and I approve of that.

Their approach to diplomacy that I have witnessed first hand has always been great, communications tend to be very clear with them and they are less an underling security that I need to baby sit, and more someone very competent that I can send off with my lawbringer to clownshot the clown, and have things work out. And if I need to leave, I will promote them to HoS if I can. I would trust them with full control of the station in a pintch

When I see them as HoS I trust they will get things done alone, perhaps even better than I could. and if we team up, any challenge, both social roleplay wise and mechanic combat wise can be overcome.

They are very deserving of the berret and a PRIME example of the potential of RP officers.

I am trying to come up with critisism just to balance this reply but I legitimatly cannot think of anything at all that was detremental to anyones fun.
Miranda Barrett is a joy to have on the station. Even if I didn't know how great Varshie is at all, I would recommend them just based on what I've seen from Miranda.

They are meticulous and fair, not jumping to conclusions, but working with people to learn the truth before judging. They RP constantly and well, and are responsive to people above and below them in the hierarchy to make sure that the station runs smoothly.

When I play as HoP, I (to continue a trend on this thread, which should say a lot) breathe a sigh of relief seeing Miranda join. Even if they are not HoS yet, I know they will take leadership of the Sec officers, teaching any who need it and providing guidance and direction if the station comes into crisis.

When I play as another role, like MD or Chef or QM, I know I will see Miranda come by my station to check on me, and to make sure that I know I can contact them if I have any security concerns.

Long story short: Miranda makes me feel safer as a crewmember on Space Station 13, and I want to see more Security Officers like them. They are everything I would hope for and expect for a Head of Security, especially on a Roleplay server.

Huge, enthusiastic +1 from me! <3
Just had a round with them as HoS (Mentor + Friday), and damn they were a good one. I was playing as the AI, and they actively responded and respected me as a player while coordinating their team without being shitsec in the slightest.

They are a damn good HoS and I'd be genuinely disappointed and a bit bummed out if this application didn't actually pass.
I have played a few rounds with Varshie on Miranda, they are a good security partner to have and what I would call a gold standard for goonstation security. I can attest that they do what they say they like to do and that I personally appreciate playing with them and seeing them. A fun serious mix that keeps the peace and a smile on your face. +1
I've seen them as RP sec multiple times now, I don't doubt Varshie is gonna be a good RP HoS
+1
ive played a few rounds with varsh as normal sec, ntso, and hos (fridays). i think im comfortable recommending em as hos! reasonably cool head, decent at delegating / coordinating the team, would be good to give em the beret. also they are active at a timeslot where theres not usually a lot of people. i thnk thats a plus
If I knew nothing else their answers would be enough "it's not about winning" love it.

Absolutely yes