Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
this is a controversial opinion: auto-menders aren't very good
auto-menders make healing way too easy imo and should probably be a medi-borg or doctor job reward only thing
Yes, and also fill them manually if you get them. Make doctoring the realm of doctors again. Just wanted to say this before sec storms in big mad that they can't heal people and have guns.
Way too easy in what way? Requiring little skill from the doctor? Too fast? Requiring too little resources?
Require too little skill, too fast, excessively quick, too much free reagent... they are the second coming of tricord (ok not that bad). You get a lot for so very little. It'd be nice if nondocs could at least fuck up when using them and hurt themselves worse or something.

They remove a lot of the skill or damage management that comes with patches. just click and heal forever til done. Borgs should keep them. They are a best in class item similar to the RCD. I guess MD should get some too?

Making auto-menders overheat after five seconds of use could maybe be a solution? Or only heal the parts they target.
I don't see how patches require skill. And I'm pretty sure menders waste far more reagents, though we can always make them slower and more wasteful.
(Also unlike patches menders require both parties to stand still so they're unusable in combat / when fleeing.)
Reminder that menders were already nerfed and rapidly healing while sprinting is not a thing anymore. So as pali said, patches are way more effective during combat anyway.

Also, I don't think we really have to make medbay more difficult and revamp the whole medbay meta, now when there is a wave of new players who can barely even use the menders. Mender removal also won't really change the fact that goonmed is quite simple overall.
I don't understand the argument of and would also like to second the question of how patches were more skillful.

The idea behind the automenders was to remove instant healing which patches did. If it's still too fast, that speed can be possibly adjusted further (and was some time ago, as mentioned by Gogorow).
I agree, auto-menders do trivialise medicine, Worst offender here is synthflesh auto-menders.

Quote:I don't see how patches require skill. And I'm pretty sure menders waste far more reagents, though we can always make them slower and more wasteful.
(Also unlike patches menders require both parties to stand still so they're unusable in combat / when fleeing.)

This is the solution, I think. Making them dump far more of their chems would make these more niche in there usage. Perhaps also lowering their internal size by a few units too? So they'd have to be refilled sooner also. Strike a balance between its internal storage and its wastefulness and I think it might be more balanced.

Now you'll need to be far more resourceful with your use. Maybe you'll need to order more chems from QM or whip that pharmacy into shape. 

In either scenario you'll be left with a device that will heal really good, but will run out really quickly. You'll want to save it perhaps for a more dire scenario. Maybe you'll opt for something else in the meantime... perhaps a patch?

This also would also not affect borgs, for to heal; a borgs function is attempt to do better than that of its fleshling counterpart.
Now imagine this: menders were added to specifically nerf how good patches were and so you would require more dedication to healing then just slapping a patch on and going about your business. Auto-menders aren't even close to how good patches used to be and I really don't see any reason to change them.
Patches are single use, there is an inventory management aspect to healing with them automenders get rid of . Old patches were too OP too to be fair.

making menders heal more slowly would be a good thing. Makes it a choice between healing methods.

Also maybe make it so menders don't heal crit. Requires you smack a patch on or some saline gluc/epi in their system before you go to the mender
Quote:Patches are single use, there is an inventory management aspect to healing with them automenders get rid of .

You can have an arbitrarily large number of patches in a minipatch box.

Quote: auto-menders do trivialise medicine

To have non-trivial medicine we'd probably have to remove healing chems and make it so you need to do surgery or similar stuff for everything.
Minipatches are a problem too then. Tho they heal a lot less. You can have a nice in between where medicine at least takes some effort rather than "here stand still while this one click item does the work"

I don't think it has to be one extreme or the other.
Damage system is fine as is,...

I'd rather see some more special illnesses that can come up and need some extra treatment to cure.
What if you could only use menders on other people, but not yourself?
I do agree with the automenders working TOO good. Its like the janitors tornado cleaner thing but thats a job reward. Makes cleaning too easy and no downside. Same with auto menders. It's almost like having Tricord back only you need a burn and a brute mender and they are easy enough to get.