HoS Application for Gunnar Gustafsson (Slazzy)
Hello fellow loyal NanoTrasen employees, 

For those of you I've met on the beat, thanks for keeping the station functioning.  For those I haven't met yet, appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Usual character name:  Gunnar Gustafsson
BYOND username:  Slazzy
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Slazenger#0003
Recommended by (if applicable):  I've been encouraged by many fellow SecOffs, Caps, and HoPs on shift and have been entrusted with HoS-lite access numerous times. Also recommended by my friend, Carlos Rivera (CubanCarlos)
Goon servers you play:  Roleplay

Reason for application:  Simply put, my goal is to continue my current track record of station success-oriented Security work and help encourage SecOffs on RP to conduct their jobs in an abuse-free, Space Law legal, and more successful manner.

Security experience (300 word minimum):  

Starting off with some basics about me, a good friend of mine who goes by Carlos Rivera (BYOND: CubanCarlos) in Roleplay (who commonly acts as MD/HoP/Doc) got me into SS13 and GoonStation a few weeks ago.  I want to be open and transparent about my general lack of time in the community.  As such, I have spent nearly all of my time in the Sec role learning the ins/outs and have been slowly working through other roles on the station.  I've been interacting with the community in Discord, but spend most of my SS13-related time walking the beat or manning the desk in Roleplay.  

Upon starting up my first shift, as an eager intern I selected SecOff (unaware of the learning curve and general consensus that it is a role for just experienced players), as they seemed to be short-staffed.  This was a successful first shift where I met several very fantastic SecOffs and when the shift ended, spent the next day pouring over the Wiki.  

Not deterred by the initial challenge, I gave SecOff another go and it immediately became the role I played almost exclusively (putting in a good 5+ shifts a day).  

That being said, I tend to play during the evening (Eastern US) into the very early morning.  In roughly 35 shifts I've been in, I have only had a HoS one time.  As a result, starting last week, I created the role of "Desk Sergeant Gunnar Gustafsson", who manned the desk at MainSec, handled the phones and computers, and worked to organize and dispatch fellow officers.  It was met with praise from Command staff and other officers/detectives on the shift and pushed me towards an interest in taking on a role where I can officially help organize and train SecOffs.  My hope with my application (if successful) is to help be a positive presence on the Roleplay server, help improve the quality of SecOffs while encouraging more players to dive into the fun and intricacies of the job, create engaging roleplay for all players on the server, and ultimately help mentor SecOffs to feel confident to apply for the role of HoS as well.

From filling in on Command when there are staffing issues, to securing the station at all costs, to deescalating situations - in all instances where I am on duty, I gravitate towards taking on a light leadership role in the Security department and work to show staff in the working departments and the civilians that Security is capable of conducting community policing.  As such I encourage my fellow officers to be accessible, help lost Assistants find a purpose, and I have taken action to crack down on improper use of the force continuum by SecOffs.
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?  Ultimately, SecOffs walk a fine balance between maintaining order and being a sort of "support staff" for the entire crew.  This is SS13 after all and lunatics are all too common.  When there's an incident or disturbance, timely and professional response by Sec is seen as a much appreciated relief by your fellow station members.  That being said, if we can work to build rapport with crew members, be vigilant on patrol, listen to tips from the crew and AI - we can drastically reduce the amount of "reactive policing" we do and instead focus on keeping the station operating on an even keel.  
  • One other thing I have noticed, there's a general vibe I get from fellow SecOffs that it's not okay to ask for help or admit that you don't know something.  There is an incredible amount of map, equipment, and systems knowledge that's needed as a SecOff.  You can function without some of it, but you can excel once you know it.  Don't be afraid to admit when you don't know something and don't be afraid to ask for help.  Sec draws in some of the most level-headed crew members on the station - use them as a resource.  Ask for a second opinion.

• What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one): My most memorable shift was early on in my time as a SecOff on Oshan.  We had a Cap who was suffering mental breakdowns (ultimately declaring "war" on "the ocean" and mobilizing the SecOff team to arm up - half of Sec joined in on this while myself and two others abstained) and refusing the psychiatrist's orders to take his medication.  The Cap and his band of SecOffs ended up creating breaches in the ship, injuring other crew members, and causing mass panic.  In this instance, having an HoS whose sole duty is to protect the station likely could've prevent the SecOff team from carrying out the destruction.  I ended up confronting the Captain and placed him under protective custody.  As there was no HoP, I conferred with two of the department heads and I initiated an orderly emergency shuttle escape resulting in nearly the entire crew getting off the ship.
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?  Ultimately I don't feel that Security gameplay loop is lacking much.  There's always plenty to do, whether it's actively working to keep the station safe and operating at its peak or just building relationships and being helpful.  There's a tremendous amount of information and equipment at Security's fingertips to help them carry out their duties.  If anything, making sure SecOffs were comfortable using these tools would be one of the most worthwhile improvements we could make to the department.
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.  I generally act in a communication and coordination role as a SecOff.  When part of a full and communicative SecOff team, I typically try to man the desk, handle the public coming up to the Security office, and pass on information and assignments to the team.  When situations arise, I will abandon the desk to provide backup and help with interrogations and brigging.  When we are half-staffed or less, I try to retain my normal communication and coordination, but actively patrol and build up those relationships on the beat rather than from the front desk.  Being in the HoS role would allow me to continue doing what I do best while allowing the Security team to have one more SecOff slot open.
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?  I had worked with another player (Nero57James) who often plays as a SecOff to manufacture "dummy bombs" when he was a bomb-making civilian and attempt to help root out individuals looking to take down the station through sting operations.  Unfortunately when we went to initiate this, Security was understaffed and being bombarded with requests, so a shuttle was called before we could carry it out.  Definitely looking forward to getting to run this op another time.
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):  None at all.  I have not had any negative admin interaction and no reports or negative experiences with any members of the crew on the stations I've served.

Also of note, I have substantial previous experience in a rather large FiveM community as the community manager and head of an 80+ person police department within this community.  

Ultimately, I have an immense interest in seeing the Security team thrive, helping bring more suitable players into the role and train them properly, and be able to create fun and unique RP experiences for our crew.  If this application is accepted, I will be playing in some sort of Security role most of the time, but will continue to spend time in other roles across the station to continue to widen my knowledge and skillsets.

I appreciate you taking the time to read and consider this, and hope to be upholding Space Law on a NanoTrasen station with you in the future.

Regards.
--Slazenger
Played with him on several rounds. Seemingly the only SecOff of any of those times that has the knowledge to fulfill his role and the leadership to organize the rest of the officers into a competent team. Is fun and charismatic, but a stickler for the rules and knows when to enforce them correctly. Can't recommend him enough. +1
Head of Security applications require 3-months of playtime, so I'll have to deny your application.
That said, your application is great and you have solid grasp/understanding of the Security role.
I highly encourage you reapply once you meet the 3-month requirement.