Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Re-Evaluation of Emergency Backpack Boxes
Traditionally these spawn with 0-1 mask and 0-2 emergency air tanks as I recall and it served us well for a long while.

With the new, higher server numbers however the chance of early hull breaches is much higher. I would like to suggest that, at a minimum, all crew are spawned with 3 items which will always include 1 mask and 1 emergency air tank. The 3rd item is randomly chosen from: a 2nd emergency air tank, a NT-'equivalent' donk pocket knockoff (that actually does heal a bit), a whistle, a flashlight, (rarely!) an omnitool, or other similar 'survival' items.
I think having more things in the emergency box would be nice, as it is now just feels off and grubby for some reason I can't explain, plus the RNG of either getting 2 or 0 tanks is very annoying. How about a chance to get any one of the things usable as an 02 mask, like that clown one or one of the 3 gas mask options
The only time I ever get 2 tanks is when I play a job that guarantees one.

I feel that every box should be guaranteed an E tank as well, so that players are given a fighting chance to survive a breach issue.
I haven't personally had a problem with lack of E-tank or mask in my box, even in my early days.
Anyone that can walk and isn't about to die just walks into a place where others are gathered and not dying.
Most people just don't know they have a box that *may* contain Air & Mask!

As for the 3rd goody-item, while I like it we already have a similar spawn in our bags, no? A random item. Sometimes useful, mostly not.
I understand you want a "Survival" item. However if I were a noob, I wouldn't know HOW to use a Multitool, nor what a donkpocket does. Fun snack? Eat. Stupid yellow tool? Toss. A whistle! Blow it until I get bored.
Flashlight would be the only item in your described scenario that I'd know how to use and may find use for.

Though many happen to LIKE the RNG of the game as a whole, I can understand your concern to guarantee Mask and Tank.
Therefore in the spirit of the RNG of the game, I must disagree with your sentiment.
Nothing quite like the realization that you didn't spawn with one. Welcome to SS13.
---
failed to mention, there are often LOTS of air-tanks Oxygen kits and E-suits scattered throughout most maps. (RNG spawns on them too)
Again, more opportunity to counter a breach along with RNG spirit of the game.
I think some flavor would do well - but more air tanks are not necessarily needed.
Sometimes it is fun to be unable to leave a part of the station because you need to look for oxygen tanks around or call for help...like spawning with the required gear 100% of the time feels like a bummer to me,...

How about,...

Emergency Box:
1x Breathing Mask (as of now)
0x-2x Small blue oxygen tanks (as of now)
0x-1x Emergency-Item-Pool-Item

Emergency Item Pool:
-Emergency Glowstick
-Flashlight
-Matches
-Crowbar
-Sponge
-Salbutamol Pill
-Charcoal Pill
-??? Pill
Alternative Idea: You are guaranteed an Oxygen Tank, however you are NOT guaranteed to get it full, it instead has a chance to give you 25%, 10% and 0%, with each option presented having a 15% weight. An alternative to this alternative would be to bump up the numbers for Emergency O2 spawns in lockers as I have genuinely spent far too long looking for 02 only to find none in them, for a 20+ average crew pre-tide it should at least be stocked with 1
Emergency boxes are usually just used as a second storage for most people. I'd agree to give it some more purpose.
How about a 1% chance to spawn with a spring-loaded mouse trap.
What if having it was a spacebux purchese? Charging crew for their emergancy oxygen is a 100% NT thing to do.
SpaceBux are supposed to be fun stuff and not hard gameplay advantages - the difference between having no and some air seems to harsh.

---

Sure you could argue the food synthesizer or other stuff would also fall under that category but that is not the point. Emergency boxes are needed and if I gotta choose between a colored clown suit or an emergency box I will NEVER pick the damn box. But I would feel cheated that I am unable to buy more stuff.
Hm. Good point. It's not exactly "real" money anyway.
How about a trait? Something like "well-prepared" to ensure an O2 tank and spare item
For what it's worth the actual contents of the emergency box (minus chances, I'd have to read code to find that and I have no idea how to do it) are:

1 breath mask (guaranteed)
1 emergency oxygen tank (moderate likelihood in my experience)
An emergency suit AND an emergency hood (low chance)

Some jobs (medical doctor, security officer, detective, miner, most if not all heads, and a few others I don't remember) are guaranteed to get an emergency oxygen tank spawn in the box, which is separate from the random spawn. This is why you sometimes get two oxygen tanks.

Personally I'd ditch the random tank spawn entirely and give everyone the emergency tank. It doesn't really make any sense for you to bring a mask but not a tank.