Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
General Sec Token Chat - Replacement and Improvement Brainstorming Here!
1. Yeah - I think a machine with a 2-person-authentification to deputize someone would be nice.

2. That sec still needs to go to QM to order stuff is in my opinion good; since it forces player interaction or if no one is there...security to at least order it themselves - by taking a trip around the station. So less stationary.

3. Really - sec tokens changed stuff around; but if I wanna get a baton or a taser as a non security staff member...well it is still easy. Really easy. For one; just bash open Beepsky. Second; even better...but I might be wrong on this one...I think Emagged securitrons still drop their batons...could be wrong though on this one. Third...Even if I do not find a taser that easily...I can get at least 1-2 Phasers without a problem...also...there are other ways to incapacitate players. Capulettium. Just make some burgers; add that sweet chem and wait a few seconds.

---

People - it is not possible to perfectly balance everything; nor should it be desired. We should strive to improve YES...but I think it is good to remind oneself about all the other tools players have at their disposal.
This comment is in regards to the statements claiming that without security the crew is all on their own with no way to defend themselves.

Hell - if you want some additional security gear earnable with a slight challenge we could always pop some into a new prefab.
Live the chaos. Love the chaos.
Security is the role I play the most, usually HoS. In my opinion all the tokens do is lower the amount of gear on the station. It is still incredibly easy to steal weapons from actual sec officers, especially if they aren't competent or busy with other issues, and once that's done, theres not usually a valid path to getting gear back other than buying some from QM which is annoying and usually results in QM being mad. Yes, gear is stolen less from security, but that's because all the gear is now on the individual officers so it just makes them a bigger target and makes security's job more tedious, especially with the new wave of people joining the server.
There 100% should be more ways to obtain tokens than just spawning with them, I personally think reworking QM's security offerings should be first up as it's been unchanged since i first joined, despite Security itself changing quite a bit since then
I think it would make sense to have some kind of lesser baton/taser equivalent available in Sec.

Personally, I really like Barriers and consider them a part of my standard gear, but those are still a sec locker item. How about more equivalents to that?

Perhaps a weak harm baton that extends into a two handed stun pole, with long reach melee options.
Maybe a taser equivalent that is a one shot stun, but it has a very slow self recharge battery that can't be removed. A Stun Flintlock.
A flashlight that doubles as a good bashing weapon, especially on glass

The bad Gear is to supplement your good token gear, replace something temporarily, be stolen by or distributed to non-sec.
(08-17-2020, 09:09 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I think it would make sense to have some kind of lesser baton/taser equivalent available in Sec.

Personally, I really like Barriers and consider them a part of my standard gear, but those are still a sec locker item. How about more equivalents to that?

Perhaps a weak harm baton that extends into a two handed stun pole, with long reach melee options.
Maybe a taser equivalent that is a one shot stun, but it has a very slow self recharge battery that can't be removed. A Stun Flintlock.
A flashlight that doubles as a good bashing weapon, especially on glass

The bad Gear is to supplement your good token gear, replace something temporarily, be stolen by or distributed to non-sec.

That's pretty much the sidearms idea I had. Although, in my eyes they'd be a bit stronger than what you suggested, such as a the Taser Pistol which would have 3 shots, slow recharge and locked battery, one mode. You can effectively use this as a backup gun (like any game, it takes longer to reload than to shoot again) in many cases, but also you could use it for extra firepower, akimbo style.

I'll argue the case a bit more:
You're an officer. You get disarmed. You have only a stun baton, fresh out of flashbangs. You
A) Attempt to charge the offender with your baton, and probably die.
B) Run away and use your tracker. But oh shit, you have no gun.
C) Complain to the HoS. But oh shit, they ain't here.

This gives more flexibility with how they approach situations, while also not flooding the station with more "dangerous" gun as they'd be limited in their capabilities.
I always thought of the flash in combination with the flashbang grenade as the cheap-taser.