Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Unique Sec Tokens, Additional Job tokens
I was thinking it would be nice to give roles like Detective or Vice officer Sec Tokens, but unique to their role. For instance, a detective token that let's you buy special ammo types for your revolver, or special forensic and evidence gathering materials. A Vice Officer might buy boosting drugs or flashy clothes guns and vehicles with their token.

Additionally, I think other jobs could adopt some aspects of the token system. Making tokens redeemable for special department gear or general items like personalized gear would make for a good system of claiming things that are being handled by job and medal rewards right now
I don't like sec tokens as it is and putting more things behind tokens will only make it worse. It may also lead to situations where people get beaten up early round for their tokens.
Or you could just put the cool equitment in the work-spaces.
Yea I also personally despise everything with the token system excluding nukies. The less on station token stuff I see the better in my opinion. It only limits the game in a way that seems extremely unnecessary to me.
Yeah I prefer spawning with stuff, I'd honestly prefer the tokens be replaced with an exchange booth that lets you swap out your gear itself, however that isn't to say that tokens for say the detective would be without merit, as it could work well with my idea for alternate ammo types as a way to limit grabbing a fuck load of varing colours of ammo
The issue that made us introduce tokens in the first place remains though, sec gear, when stolen, is way too effective for traitors.
We should probably address that in some other way, if we want to remove the token system again.
I agree that it can seem a little bit too 'gamey'. And it *is* cool that you can steal sec gear every once in a while, but it should not be the most effective tactic for pretty much any antag (and it kind of is).

I do like the idea of some interesting sidegrades for the detective and stuff though.
(08-08-2020, 02:50 PM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: The issue that made us introduce tokens in the first place remains though, sec gear, when stolen, is way too effective for traitors.
We should probably address that in some other way, if we want to remove the token system again.
I agree that it can seem a little bit too 'gamey'. And it *is* cool that you can steal sec gear every once in a while, but it should not be the most effective tactic for pretty much any antag (and it kind of is).

I do like the idea of some interesting sidegrades for the detective and stuff though.

It didn't "fix" the problem, it just made there be less sec gear so it happens less. The more direct solution would be making it so lethal guns aren't worse than tasers and shit.
Quote:It didn't "fix" the problem, it just made there be less sec gear so it happens less. The more direct solution would be making it so lethal guns aren't worse than tasers and shit.

It often isn't even lethal sec equipment. Stun batons used to be a 1 hit wonder and still often manage a KO in 2. Tasers on burst will put most people down if everything hits.

Get rid of security tokens, make stun batons 3-4 hits to KO and tasers take more than one burst but give them a bigger (2x?) battery in exchange. Keep extra lockdown proceedures on the armory (because that WAS legitimately too easy).
The trade off for batons is the fact you have to get into melee range to use it properly, at which point it can be disarmed and used against you. As for tasers and battery size, all security personnel already start with a 2x capacity battery in their sec pouch. Maybe the overall issue here is that this stuff is too easy to get for little to no effort (before sec tokens) and that instead of limiting the overall amount we should put a different measure in place to make them harder to get. Maybe putting an ID lock on tasers/batons or something that requires Security access to use. And also just trashing the frickin hackable taser rack or leaving that itself empty.
(08-09-2020, 03:03 AM)Erev Wrote:
Quote:It didn't "fix" the problem, it just made there be less sec gear so it happens less. The more direct solution would be making it so lethal guns aren't worse than tasers and shit.

It often isn't even lethal sec equipment. Stun batons used to be a 1 hit wonder and still often manage a KO in 2. Tasers on burst will put most people down if everything hits.

Get rid of security tokens, make stun batons 3-4 hits to KO and tasers take more than one burst but give them a bigger (2x?) battery in exchange. Keep extra lockdown proceedures on the armory (because that WAS legitimately too easy).

Making the stuff in the armory actually kill people might help...
Taser rack is already empty now, and seclocked tasers used to be a thing IIRC. From my understanding, one of the major reasons for this change was people who would loot all the tasers and batons at roundstart, giving them a ludicrous amount of firepower while preventing sec from having any method of stopping them. Now they have to actually kill security first if they want batons and tasers.
(08-09-2020, 06:22 AM)Mouse Wrote: Taser rack is already empty now, and seclocked tasers used to be a thing IIRC.  From my understanding, one of the major reasons for this change was people who would loot all the tasers and batons at roundstart, giving them a ludicrous amount of firepower while preventing sec from having any method of stopping them.  Now they have to actually kill security first if they want batons and tasers.

Bay has ID-locked guns and it's really cool. Like you can't shoot them unless you have the right ID or they've been tampered with. Something like that could be intereting.
That's all well and good, but this is a thread for the current token system, and how certain roles like Vice Officer don't even start with one
The reason guns arent Id locked anymore is because everyone wanted to make it so bad guys COULD steal the weapons and use them against sec and the crew. Remember when you couldnt use the detectives gun unless you were the detective? Reason that changed was the same reason. Because it should be a risk to take out those weapons and use them because someone could disarm you and use them against you.
Maybe some system for guns/batons not being immediately dropped when you get knocked over could help, force them to strip it from you.