Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Add a table-mounted defibrillator to the security department
(08-09-2020, 03:17 PM)aft2001 Wrote: As a weird possible alternative or addition to solve the issue OP presented, how about voltagen autoinjectors? Very low doses so they won't do much besides shock you a bit, but that shock might just be what you need.

Problem with voltagen is that it arc-flashes to others around you when in the bloodstream. Utterly hilarious but maybe not as useful as a defib!
(08-10-2020, 10:34 AM)makkipakki Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 03:17 PM)aft2001 Wrote: As a weird possible alternative or addition to solve the issue OP presented, how about voltagen autoinjectors? Very low doses so they won't do much besides shock you a bit, but that shock might just be what you need.

Problem with voltagen is that it arc-flashes to others around you when in the bloodstream. Utterly hilarious but maybe not as useful as a defib!

Could work as a one time application patch? I'm not the most familiar with ingest vs. touch reaction but that should maybe solve the arc-flashing.
I really enjoy the fact that security officers can and should use their batons in emergencies to defib somebody.
Adding a stationary defib on top of that seems unnecessary to me.

More often than not medbay ain't that far away from any security location and officers are also able to call out for the AI to teleport a port-a-med or they could call for another player playing medical doctor.

TLDR: I am fine with the limited medical toolset of security and think it is fine as it is.
I really don't think security needs more medicine. Some maps have a medicine vendor, others are have 2+ medpaks, which I think is sufficient. Cog1, maybe could do with one more medpak to reflect other maps. 

As Makkipakki's idea, I think this would be actually rather cool and could be extended to other parts of the station in strategic points, I.e maybe one in the bar (for the general public) and another in the operation room?

The way I was imagining it working would be more wall mounted, than table mounted (sec tables are notoriously cluttered). I'm thinking like a telephone, where you can pick it up, but can only walk so far before it snaps back to position.
I'd agree, a defib in SEC should be a given! Some pissed off convicts attempt to kill themselves via holding breath.
Other nefarious macro-bomb wielders do it to kill themselves and blow up SEC! (I don't wanna just toss them out, that'd be murder.)

While EPI And SULB may be present, only my baton can restart their heart.
With the recent Medical nerfs(?) restarting their heart is VERY hard and uses almost all of my energy,
sometimes more--and it STILL fails to restart their heart!

For these reasons, I support Defibs in Security, please!
@Chayot as far as I am aware restarting someones heart with a baton does not use up all the energy. At most it should use up around 100 energy units.
Stun the person with a heart attack. ---> Wait a few seconds. ---> Stun again. ---> Wait again.
Perhaps there is some sort of problem if you stun them like a dozen times without waiting in-between.
Hey, I just wanted to bump this thread and say that I decided to make a PR for this to be implemented, if you have any opinion (for or against!) on the matter I'd appreciate you commenting on the PR! https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/1923
With recent changes to how defibs work, the stun baton should be pretty effective as a discount defibrillator. Each shock has a 1/3 chance to fix flatline (and robo-TF), and adds roughly 4 seconds of the Defibbed effect. So if you shock em 3 or 4 times, they'll likely be out of flatline and stay that way for about 12 seconds.

Course this uses up a lot of your battery, but if you're in sec, you can recharge it! Or ask a doc for one of their defibs for next time!
Sec could honestly do with a sleeper and a table/wall defib, won't fix everything and sleepers, while useful, aren't useful enough to forgo medbay for more than typical light beatings
(08-27-2020, 04:49 PM)QTNeen Wrote: Sec could honestly do with a sleeper and a table/wall defib, won't fix everything and sleepers, while useful, aren't useful enough to forgo medbay for more than typical light beatings

A sleeper with a defib built in?
(08-27-2020, 06:32 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 04:49 PM)QTNeen Wrote: Sec could honestly do with a sleeper and a table/wall defib, won't fix everything and sleepers, while useful, aren't useful enough to forgo medbay for more than typical light beatings

A sleeper with a defib built in?

That'd be good in general, or at least for the port-a-medbay. Though I think the idea of giving an imprisoned inmate a wall defib if they get loose is kind of funny, either or I think wouldn't really be too overpowering
Oh yeah. Leaving it out as a potential weapon is a good point. That's good for conflict
sounds good to me
I dunno, this seems like the kind of moment someone should get creative. For instance, shock or have the ai shock a door, then push the person into it. Boom shocks. Could also ad an option to electrify the floor in front of the door in the brig. That adds a layer of functionality for sec to. Floor shuts off after thirty seconds or someone gets shocked. Just add it to the timer for brig.
Gonna move this to "Good Ideas!" now that the pull request adding table-mounted defibs to sec has been merged.

If you want Sec's table mounted defibs removed or changed into something else, please make a thread for it! Same if you have any other ideas on what meds Sec should or shouldn't get or how they should be delivered.

Unlike Discord, forums have a sense of permanence and are less likely to get lost in a sea of conversation, so people are more likely to see your idea, think about it, and maybe even advocate for it. All of that makes it more likely that someone will code it and make a pull request for it, and if the devs see there's a lot of support for it or no serious objections to it, they'll very likely merge it and it'll become a real feature!